I think I'm gonna buy another Crown Vic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Never heard of Turo until today. Sounds like a terrible idea, but clearly people are doing it.

Same here, and now I am very interested. How does the insurance work?

edit: I googled the Turo thing. There is even a clutch repair reimbursement thing. Interesting. Very, very interesting.

No Crown Vic for me, but I can't fault a big, comfy, V8 boat that can be repaired with parts found in any roadside ditch.

Last edited:
You could AirBnB and Turo and rent you home and car out to strangers as a package deal.

Yea-how about someone rents your car-has a fatal accident, your names on the registration and yet the lawsuit to come will just pass right through you-and you have NOTHING to worry about? And you own a house worth a substantial amount?

OK?????????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
You could AirBnB and Turo and rent you home and car out to strangers as a package deal.

I'll just park my truck down by the river and throw a sleeping bag in the back! My new job is being homeless!

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Ever better,make it a "Full Meal Deal!". Include a full wardrobe with the home rental
laugh.gif

Amazing.

The OP asks specifically what to look for when hunting for a certain year, make and model of a car (and has to re-state his question) and now the topic has become renting your car and your house along with pros and cons of same.

Originally Posted By: bumpasmerc
Amazing.

The OP asks specifically what to look for when hunting for a certain year, make and model of a car (and has to re-state his question) and now the topic has become renting your car and your house along with pros and cons of same.

Yeah, not to mention living in a van down by the river.

Originally Posted By: bumpasmerc
Amazing.

They are the greatest cars in the world (according to BITOG) what more can be said????????????????

user Jaraxle (or jarlaxle) bought a detective take home (low miles, not a lot of holes+mods) car last Fall.
I think these are your target.
But be warned: You will have a LOT of competition for these....

Good luck and pictures would be our Thanks.....

About the only thing worse than a Crown Vic would be some kind of boring-[censored] GM product like a POS front-wheel-drive Impala or something.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
About the only thing worse than a Crown Vic would be some kind of boring-[censored] GM product like a POS front-wheel-drive Impala or something.

I was looking at Impalas but I've heard too many horror stories about transmission issues. And the Escape being FWD the transmission just doesn't feel nearly as robust as a RWD car and I think I don't want another FWD turd.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
I posted recently about a 2002 Lincoln Continental (same car) w/125K w/$2,300 asking price.

The fine folk here warned of the weak Taurus transmission Ford used in these big cars.

It's gotta be the same for these car service cars. Good thing yellow paint sticks to 'em.

The Continental is NOT the same car as a Crown Vic. The Lincoln Town Car is basically the same a Crown Vic. Totally different model. The Continental with the Taurus transmission is a front wheel drive car. The Crown Vic/Town Car is a rear wheel drive car with the 4r70W transmission, which is a very reliable unit.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Try a Mercury Grand Marquis. Same thing but old people loved them so probably better cared for and lower miles.

Had a 2005 burgundy MGM … awesome car …I saw a low mileage Town Car a couple months back on the lot … must have been grandma widow’s Sunday church car … mint …
The CV et al was a very well made car … had a couple CV company cars … white with lots of antennas … our company issued shirts were navy with flags on sleeves … used to laugh when folks slowed down around me …
wink.gif

Didn't Ford stop making the Crown Vic because they didn't want to bother with putting in stability control which would have been required had they kept making them?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Didn't Ford stop making the Crown Vic because they didn't want to bother with putting in stability control which would have been required had they kept making them?

There were a myriad of reasons. Some on here don't seem to understand that the market for a full-size rear-drive body on frame sedan is not there.

And the way people are buying CUV's SUV's and trucks prove it.

I haven't heard one person say "that they were cross-shopping any of the above vehicles" with a sedan.

Originally Posted By: CKN

There were a myriad of reasons. Some on here don't seem to understand that the market for a full-size rear-drive body on frame sedan is not there.

I haven't heard one person say "that they were cross-shopping any of the above vehicles" with a sedan.

I get it. I mean I drove a new Taurus a while back for a day while my Escape was at the dealer. That car was far better than a Crown Vic in every way (except for torque steer under heavy acceleration)...

That said I love my new (to me) Crown Vic
smile.gif
Thank you to everyone who was serious in this thread and gave me things to look out for before purchasing the car. It's not as smooth and clean as the mint 1999 Crown Vic (non-police) I owned a while back but the steering and transmission are far better, so I'm glad I got it.

FDENpRS.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Maybe some people buy trucks because they don't have a choice. There is a market for full sized, RWD sedans if they do it right. Look at how many Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300s there are on the roads. Ford gave up, and GM killed their Austrailian-built platform.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back