Anyone use a ball peen on their wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
some people need to realize that sometimes you aren't working in the comfort of your own garage or shop and you are working on something with limited tools etc and do what you have to get the job done. Heat and impact wrenches etc aren't always available.

i have done the hammer/wrench method several times. or the quick kick or push with the foot/leg

Various hammer's because I thought that's what they were made for
eek.gif

Let's face it, tools are to be used, not looked at. Sure, I've used a hammer some, usually it's a dead blow, and in a place where a long cheater or impact won't do. I dunno, maybe there's mechanics out there that have never had to work outside of a fully outfitted garage, but I've changed my daughter's brakes in her driveway, where there were only the tools I brought with me, and I've removed battery cables with channellock pliers when a motorist was stuck and that's all we had. So, I guess it's the situations you get into, and the tools are expendable. I'm not saying I abuse them, because I take care of them, but in the end, it's the job that matters, not the tools.

Reading the comments from people who own Snap On tools leads me to conclude that they are very fragile and their warranty is worthless.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You guys now need a full set of striking wrenches for your box:

j2741sw.png

$50+ each. Ouch.

Originally Posted By: drew2two
Reading the comments from people who own Snap On tools leads me to conclude that they are very fragile and their warranty is worthless.

Warranty would not cover the being hit by a hammer part...and being pricey makes them not worth the risk.

When we were doing some work down in one of the hydros, we were using a 1-1/2" drive ratchet to take some stuff off...and it was tight, so a scaffold tube and three of us swinging off it while another gave it some love taps...we all fell in a heap when the ratchet caved in.

Sidchrome lifetime warranty got called in, and they laughed...but they DID fill the ratchet cavity with weld for us.

That's not it at all. Why would you hit nice tools with a hammer? Even when someone has cheaper tools, they should still keep them clean and orderly.
My best friend's son somehow became a motorhead. His father, who I've been friends with for over forty years is not. The kid started buying tools from Home Depot and the local hardware store with money he earns doing high school and college jobs. He's certainly not buying Snap On or Craftsman or anything like that. One day, I was over there helping him do something and he kept apologizing for his tools. I told him look, your tools are clean, in order and they're not rounded off or beat to death. They do what they're supposed to do. Keep em this way and it's money well spent. The next time I was over there they looked even better.
I assure you, my tools wrenched on big diesel generator sets for years and were not fragile. I never had a warranty issue either.
Know what the secret is? Have the correct tools for the job at hand. I NEEDED a 3/4" drive set. I have the big set. I always used breaker bars to break things loose instead of ratchets. Don't use chrome sockets on impact tools. And don't pry stuff with screwdrivers.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Warranty would not cover the being hit by a hammer part...and being pricey makes them not worth the risk.

When we were doing some work down in one of the hydros, we were using a 1-1/2" drive ratchet to take some stuff off...and it was tight, so a scaffold tube and three of us swinging off it while another gave it some love taps...we all fell in a heap when the ratchet caved in.

Sidchrome lifetime warranty got called in, and they laughed...but they DID fill the ratchet cavity with weld for us.

Exactly right, I'm not beating the daylights out of a wrench from an expensive set and loose the warranty.
I had to grind down a Stahlwille double box down to do a job that someone had changed the bolts from 16 to 17mm heads so the VW tool didn't fit. Stahlwille does not make that model anymore so now I have a oddball (also Stahlwille) in there and it irritates me.

As to the fragile part ...

Snap On makes (IMO) top quality tools as well designed and implemented as anyone. HOWEVER, they are precision tools for light and medium duty work. Particularly in the combination wrench market, there are industrial pattern wrenches (Snap On makes these in their JH Williams brand; others do as well.) and commercial pattern wrenches. While none are intended for use of a hammer, an industrial pattern will withstand it better than a commercial. The industrial is heavier, thicker, and won't fit the same places ... and IMO its advantages in an industrial environment are outweighed by the weight and thin walls of the commercial.

A slugging wrench is what we called them in the shipyard. They were used to put together pipe fittings. I have an 1 7/16 I used on the bug axle nuts and the flywheel nut.

Originally Posted By: Trav
these are Chinese made rubbish.

Precisely why I wouldn't mind whacking them with a hammer.
wink.gif

My regular hammer of choice is a 16 oz clawhammer. My aim is bad so I use the side of the head, not the face. I have a set of Chinese impacts in 1/2". Metric and SAE and a 3/8 metric set. Maybe 25 $ invested. Had to buy an 18mm socket for one stinking cab mount bolt on the Rat. First usage ever of an 18mm socket. I have driven more than one onto a rusted away bolt head with a hammer.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back