Weird Electrical Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo H99IC Pot light. Takes a 120V medium screw base bulb, so no transformers involved. Using a halogen light bulb, not led. This is one in a line of five pots controlled by a Leviton SureSlide dimmer.

There is a slight delay before the bulb comes on in this one pot, the other four pots light up instantaneously. The delay can vary from one second to three seconds. Dimmer on at full strength. No flicker at all, the light turns on cleanly. No issues inside the pot, the bulb socket and the thermal protector are ok.

This pot might have quick connectors in its junction box. I have yet to go up into the very dusty attic to open up the junction box.

Any idea what the problem might be?

I guess you didn't install these yourself. Could be a partially loose wiring connection or maybe the socket connection isn't making good contact.

Different bulb has already been tried. I installed these pots myself about eight years ago. It is not the socket, I checked with a non-contact voltage detector and it shows delayed power coming to the thermal protector. The issue must be in the junction box connections. What is surprising is that there is no flicker and that the delay is somewhat consistent. The delay is either a second or three seconds, never any thing else.

I'd blame the thermal protector. I'm not sure why you think there could be a problem in the junction box, or anywhere else.

I'd suspect other random flickering if you had a loose wire-nut or sloppy connection in the junction box.

Power route is Jn box - thermal protector - socket. So delay in power feed to thermal protector implies delay upstream of thermal protector, which points to the Jn box.

Yeah, what makes this issue weird is the lack of flickering and and the consistency of the delay.

I would have been up in the attic already and checked the junction box but for the fact that it is not in my house but at a client's house. The next time I am there I will go up into the attic.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
All the lazy electrons are hanging out smoking and come in late from break when the dimmer tells them to.

They won't come out of their shell.

*rimshot*

Aside from going over the twist connections in the Jct box, what else could it be?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back