Ever puchase movies from cable provider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't do it! I have had XFINITY and have Directv now. I would rather make the trip to Family Video for half the price. Am I stupid to waste time and gas?

Not really.But then If you have watched 5 movies you have watched them all. they are all the same.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I just can't do it! I have had XFINITY and have Directv now. I would rather make the trip to Family Video for half the price. Am I stupid to waste time and gas?

Nope they have enough of my money! I have an Anroid box and WD live TV, so I don't need to rent a movie when I can get it elsewhere for free.

If there is a movie I absolutely have to own I purchase it from Apple.

Do you use Apple or Android? Both have options.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I have an Android

If I want to pay for a video rental, its very rare because I have so many free options, I would look at the amazon app on my Roku.

Between Netflix, Plex, and Amazon Prime, I have enough free or already paid for content that I haven't rented a movie in several years.

My dad used to go to family video in NY, to rent DVD's weekly for $1.99 each.

The last time he was here, he graduated to using Redbox, picked up at the local walgreens.

He's 65 years old, so if he likes going up there, let him do it.

I suppose it depends on what the cableco wants to charge and what your other options are. For example...Spectrum wants to charge me $5.99 (+ tax, I assume) to watch STW: The Last Jedi, with my other options being to either buy the DVD or driving 15 miles round-trip to find out if the nearest Redbox has it. How much does XFINITY/DirecTV want to charge? How much does Family Video want?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: PimTac

I have an Android

I’m guessing Android has a version of iTunes or other places to purchase movies. I mentioned Apple because your purchase is automatically backed up in case you change devices etc.

If my other option was driving the 10 mins each way I would pay the double price. People do not value themselves much in time it seems.

Family video? They still exist? No thanks, ive accepted that advances in technology have made it easier. Less pollution not driving to vid store. How much are you saving? Rental from provider is 6$ in Standard def say you save 3$..gas to pick it up and back and again to return it? You also have to worry if they have copies left of what you want lol...

We rent from Xfinity or Amazon firestick. There's no video stores around me. DVDs are on their way out.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
We rent from Xfinity or Amazon firestick. There's no video stores around me. DVDs are on their way out.

Darn, I'm ancient
shocked2.gif
! It seems like only yesterday I was renting VHS tapes from the local video store
21.gif

Whimsey

Wow, I had no idea video stores were still around. All physical media is on the way out, I only own 5 or 6 CDs and no DVDs. Sony finally wins a format war (Blu-Ray) and no one cares!

Cut my Dish service a couple of years ago and between Amazon and Netflix I'm hip deep in media. Movies coming out of my ears. Spectrum gets my Internet money, but don't miss any cable/satellite supplied stuff what so ever. Especially movies on demand.

Direct TV is having a free HBO and Cinemax preview this weekend until Monday. I just go through the guide and record a bunch of movies and series to watch over the next month or two. They stay in the DVR even after the preview is over, so no sense paying for rentals.

Last edited:
I enjoy having a disc to hold on to. I streamed "Airplane!" recently and they cut out the "Hi, Jack" joke. I want the version I remember, not some politically correct edit.

I can get DVDs from goodwill or the "bargain trough" at walmart for $3-5. People donating physical media because they assume they can always stream are in for a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back