M1 Oil For My Trucks Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 F150, 4.2V6, 150K Miles

I was just looking up some oil on WM's website and came across M1 oils. WM sells so many different M1 oils , how do you decide which one to use?
"IF" you owned my truck, and wanted to use M1 oil in the engine, which M1 oil-weight would you use? This engine can use 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W20, and 5W30 oil. It doesn't burn or leak any oil.
I'm asking this because if I were to do my next OCI using M1 (I have Castrol 0W40 on deck for my next OCI) I would most likely choose a HM 5W30 with a FU/MC oil filter, run to 5K-7.5K miles.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I was just looking up some oil on WM's website and came across M1 oils. WM sells so many different M1 oils , how do you decide which one to use?
"IF" you owned my truck, and wanted to use M1 oil in the engine, which M1 oil-weight would you use? This engine can use 0W20, 0W30, 0W40, 5W20, and 5W30 oil. It doesn't burn or leak any oil.
I'm asking this because if I were to do my next OCI using M1 (I have Castrol 0W40 on deck for my next OCI) I would most likely choose a HM 5W30 with a FU oil filter, run to 5K-7.5K miles.

M1 10w30 High Mileage

Originally Posted By: 4WD

I'm asking this because if I were to do my next OCI using M1 (I have Castrol 0W40 on deck for my next OCI) I would most likely choose a HM 5W30 with a FU oil filter, run to 5K-7.5K miles.

M1 10w30 High Mileage
+1 or any other quality oil.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
HM 5w-30

+1 or 10W-30 HM.

I see you are using the oil filter for on OCI only. With the Ultra being good for 15K miles, you could run that filter for two OCI.

Originally Posted By: JC1
HM 5w-30

+1 or 10W-30 HM.

I see you are using the oil filter for on OCI only. With the Ultra being good for 15K miles, you could run that filter for two OCI.

I don't want to offend you, but you must not know me very well when it comes to me and oil filters. I NEVER use an oil filter for more than 1 OCI.
smile.gif

HM 5w-30

+1 or 10W-30 HM.

I don't want to offend you, but you must not know me very well when it comes to me and oil filters. I NEVER use an oil filter for more than 1 OCI.
smile.gif

A truck is so easy to get under-that is why

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
HM 5w-30

+1 or 10W-30 HM.

smile.gif

A truck is so easy to get under-that is why

That, and using an oil filter more than once makes about as much sense as a submarine with a screen door!

I respect the opions of those who recommend the HM oils, but I am holding off until I see an oil leak. Regular M1 5-30 sounds good to me, maybe 5-40 for the summer or the 0-40 you have already planned. I have 5-40 on deck for this summer.

+1 or 10W-30 HM.

I see you are using the oil filter for on OCI only. With the Ultra being good for 15K miles, you could run that filter for two OCI. [/quote]
smile.gif
[/quote]

A truck is so easy to get under-that is why [/quote]
That, and using an oil filter more than once makes about as much sense as a submarine with a screen door! [/quote]

So, you are saying me using a Tough Guard filter for 3 5k ocis makes no sense
smile.gif

HM 5w-30

+1 or 10W-30 HM.

smile.gif

OK, I'm guessing there are some miles on the truck and there is obviously some age. So M1 HM might be a good fit just due to seal age ... See if it qualifies for a rebate and buy some
smile.gif

As far as the filter, if the engine is basically clean inside, or reasonably clean and you are not adding additives to cure a tick or a click, there is little for the filter to do ...

Yeah, an old sludger with some fresh HDEO will tax a filter, but not a well maintained engine. So the various studies that we have read say it's fine to leave the filter in place for up to 12,000 miles. I used to be like you and change it every time, but really why? My wife's Jag is a PIA to change the filter as it drools on the X-Member and then all over. So now it stays two changes.

Shannow pointed out a paper that indicates some benefit from keeping a bit of old oil with activated AW compounds. So a filter change every other time is good for that.

We are all being way to CDO (the letters in the correct order ...) on this whole issue. We think new is good. But filters can become more efficient as they collect stuff. So a good premium filter in a clean engine can go much further than we think.

Look at all the cut open ones on here and see that they are nowhere near capacity. And, if you are running an oversized unit to get a bit more volume, you have even less reason to change every time...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

No, not at all, I guess. To each his own. I used to shove my philosophy about my "One Filter, One OCI! down members throats. But, I woke up, and figured it was wrong. Like, it's wrong someone telling me to use an oil filter multiple times. You can use a TG 30 times, that's your prerogative. Just like my outlook on using an oil filter multiple times. A submarine with a screen door seems more feasible.
grin.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

No, not at all, I guess. To each his own. I used to shove my philosophy about my "One Filter, One OCI! down members throats. But, I woke up, and figured it was wrong. Like, it's wrong someone telling me to use an oil filter multiple times. You can use a TG 30 times, that's your prerogative. Just like my outlook on using an oil filter multiple times. A submarine with a screen door seems more feasible.
grin.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Yep. It is a personal preference for many of us. I learned from the beginning, change the oil and filter both.

I posted a reply a few minutes ago but the forum ate it.

Id go AFE 0w30 or 0w40. If your truck can use 20 weight id up it to 30 weight and get the AFE. I really like the AFE offering. If you prefer to go thicker sure 0w40. Pretty sure you said you liked the castrol 0w40 so why not. I wouldnt use a Fram Ultra for 1 OCI. Thus I would go with a Napa proselect or silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back