Toyota SofTex upholstery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to car shop, and sat in a Toyota RAV4 the other day. I can generally tell the difference between real leather and pleather, but the SofTex synthetic leather in the RAV4 had me fooled. I won't swear to it, but I thought the car even smelled like leather.

Anybody have any experience with this material? Is it hot? Does it wear well? I've been pleasantly surprised with the V-Tex seats in my Jetta, but it's obvious from a mile away that it's not leather.

In a perfect world, I'd have cloth, but having spent 30 minutes at the carwash trying to get blonde dog hair off the black cloth seats in the CR-V is making me rethink my choices going forward. Even using a seat cover, hair from that shaggy beast gets everywhere.

Cannot comment on wear but there are a number of products for seat care that have a leather smell. I would guess the dealer used one of those products in detailing the interior.

Yeah, even Lexus has Sof-Tex faux leather as standard material but, you can upgrade to real leather. It's supposed to be more durable and longer lasting than either vinyl or leather???

I don't have any experience with Toyota's Softex, but until this point MB-Tex was the gold standard for vinyl pleather upholstery
smile.gif

I have 30k on mine and I wears much worse than leather. I looks what leather would at 2x or 3x the age. It is pleasant though, velvety in a leathery kinda way. I like it, but hate how it wears.

My Camry has it. 55k miles and it looks fine. I never had leather so can't compare but so far, so good. Cleans easy enough with Mother's VLR.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I have 30k on mine and I wears much worse than leather. I looks what leather would at 2x or 3x the age. It is pleasant though, velvety in a leathery kinda way. I like it, but hate how it wears.

Hmmm, I am under the wrong impression. I'm not a fan of leather. Our RX had leather and it wore normally but did start to crack and show dirt in the creases, that I couldn't get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back