Uneasy about Bosch Cartridge Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got several Bosch Cartridges filters from RA for the GM 2.4L in my Slingshot. The tube inside is the same diameter all the way but only slotted part of the way up with the top side having no slots for oil to flow through, unlike some similar cartridges where the inner tube is conical, allowing good flow. Just doesn't seem like an efficient filter to me! If I could find Delco Hengst that I used on a previous 2.4L I'd go that route. Might order some of the Premium brand from RA which have no tube inside at all.

If anyone likes these Bosch cartridges, I have four I'll send you for $20 Paypal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
The tube inside is the same diameter all the way but only slotted part of the way up with the top side having no slots for oil to flow through,

Can't the oil just flow along the pleat until it gets to the nearest slot?

If you haven't seen cartridge or spin on previously, one of the drawbacks of ordering online. That said, I'd think it will work as designed, and "flow" not an issue. However, if not confident get something else.

Seems you had a similar type concern about flow awhile back with this cartridge application in a Fram Ultra. Surprised you didn't just stick to an ACDelco cartridge and not chance it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4071420/1

SayJac, you're right, I didn't like that style before; couldn't find the Delco HENGST (USA made) like I used before, so I figured I'd give Bosch a try. You said flow wasn't an issue; how can oil be filtered thru when the tube butts up against the filter pleats? Not trying to be argumentative, just looking for knowledge as I know you are well versed in these things.

Not looking for "cheap" but the ST filter has the conical tube and makes claim for 10K miles. My first change will be as specified by GM, at 500, and every 5000 after that. Have 300 on it now and will be ready sometime next week to do the first one. Has there been any tests or such on the ST cartridges?

I'd like to see pics of specific cartridge and specific concern, difficult without it. That said, when it comes to filter flow in PC use, generally speaking I don't concern myself with that factor. That and I have some trust that the folks who engineer these things, test them and have more knowledge than I about how they work in the real world. That and there is a warranty to back it.

Again though, don't trust it, safest imo is to stick with OEM ACDelco, Hengst or not.

if its the same as the 2.4 in the 2008 pontiac g6 and 13 equinox.. I have been happy with the ac delco from amazon for around 5$

This is the oem filter (amazon stock photo)
81S2%2BnxbsZL._SL1500_.jpg

Only the tips of the pleats butt up to the tube, if they do at all. There is all kinds of space behind the pleats for oil flow. If you still don't believe the Fram hole spacing is OK, then you are doing the right thing by getting rid of these too, because no matter what is said you will stick to what you already believe.

On my Toyota filter the center tube is solid about 1/3 of the way up inside. They put the same amount of holes in the smaller size filter as the longer, makes the tube stronger.

To the OP, I don't like what I see as well. [censored] were they thinking of that design. Wonder what the oil pressure readings would be using that filter.

Why not request a refund from Rockauto without returning the part. You will get half the money back. Then you can unload these filters for cheaper to get rid of them to a local buyer.

Wamart doesn't carry the ACDelco in your area?

For this series 2.2/2.4 Ecotec, ONLY use Hengst, Purflux, and Mann cartridges!

Over the years I've developed a suspicion regarding Bosch products.
Their canister filters are cheap but they say they're the best and are often included with oil change specials
I do not know.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Over the years I've developed a suspicion regarding Bosch products.
Their canister filters are cheap but they say they're the best and are often included with oil change specials
I do not know.

All my Rav4 has seen are quick lube filters or Bosch and one OCOD and a free STP.

The pictured filter looks great, nice large flow ports. That's a good deal at $5 from Amazon for OE. No country of origin shown though. No steel price increases should affect this one.

Picked up a K&N (Korea) and a Wix (China)today. Both have conical tubes that taper up where that solid part is which I believe allow for good oil flow. Whether or not it matters, I don't know, but I feel better using this type. I'll give the Bosch's to someone local. I know a couple of small independent's who can make good use of them.

Even though the design with the 1/3 solid inner tube "looks funny" to us...

I seriously doubt the design makes the filter flow less oil than the engine needs.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Even though the design with the 1/3 solid inner tube "looks funny" to us...

I seriously doubt the design makes the filter flow less oil than the engine needs.

Positive displacement oil pump will send same volume through the filter. If the whole tube had windows it might have 0.5 PSI less delta-p at max flow.

Only thing I see as a negative is the flow through the media adjacent to the closed off portion can't be much, and that center tube design would make the majority of the oil flow through the media adjacent to the open windows. If that portion of the media starts to plug up some, then the cleaner areas of the media would start flowing more, and divert oil up along the center tube to the open windows.

Quote:
..Only thing I see as a negative is the flow through the media adjacent to the closed off portion can't be much, and that center tube design would make the majority of the oil flow through the media adjacent to the open windows.

Just to be clear, this comment referring to the ACDelco cartridge pic posted, NOT the topic cartridge of which we have no pic(s). I'd have to say, imo if ACDelco as oem doesn't know how to engineer and manufacture a cartridge for the ecotec application, not sure who does. I 'suspect' why current ACDelco too also not acceptable to OP.

Some think current yellow media ACD ecotec cartridge pictured still made by Hengst. Some like myself not so sure as Hengst no longer imprinted on endcap. Either way, would be OEM.

Using Rock Auto, there appears to two Bosch cartridges for this application. Neither pic on their site shows centertube so can't see area of reference is in the OP.

Doing more research on the ecotec cartridge, found a comparison of the Hengst OEM cartridge and a Bosch DP(not topic). Even the generally favored Hengst cartridge has an area of enclosed center tube like the pictured ACDelco pictured. Based on that, seem to be not an uncommon design with ecotec cartridge.

And fwiw, equivalent Ultra XG9018 uses a similar design.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2239998

Fram XG3614, smallish holes with lots of paneling in between. The least holes of any common filter I believe. Flow restricted? No. The flow restriction is less than the outlet tube. Sometimes if one is very stubborn, it is best to have some humility and think now why do people who know more than I do make it this way?

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Doing more research on the ecotec cartridge, found a comparison of the Hengst OEM cartridge and a Bosch DP(not topic). Even the generally favored Hengst cartridge has an area of enclosed center tube like the pictured ACDelco pictured. Based on that, seem to be not an uncommon design with ecotec cartridge.

And fwiw, equivalent Ultra XG9018 uses a similar design.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2239998

Sayjac: I took the Bosch cartridge out in bright sun this PM and could see that "enclosed center tube" that I fussed so much about ACTUALLY HAD A SPACE ALL AROUND BETWEEN IT AND FILTER MATERIAL, thus offering good oil flow.

[censored], do I feel stupid ! Sorry for the false information.

^^^ Ok, good to know. As I said, I would hope and think the folks that engineer these cartridges have some idea about how they work in the real world, tested them. And the enclosed 'looking' area in the centertube does appear to be a common design, even on the oems.

I guess you'll be using the topic cartridges then.

As for this thread, as Gilda would say.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back