PP life span in engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long would you leave Pennzoil Platinum in your engine assuming your vehicle was under manufacture recommended OCI. I ask because my oil life monitor on my 2016 JKU is at 60% after 7 months and 2500 miles on the oil? Daily driven, short trips in the city.

Originally Posted By: barber613
How long would you leave Pennzoil Platinum in your engine assuming your vehicle was under manufacture recommended OCI. I ask because my oil life monitor on my 2016 JKU is at 60% after 7 months and 2500 miles on the oil? Daily driven, short trips in the city.

What's a JKU?

An oil analysis is the only real way to know, anything else is pure speculation.

The owners manual will spell it out. To comply with warranty here's a summary of what my 2016 JK owners manual says:

Follow the OLM. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles, twelve months, or 350 hours of run time.

Severe duty all models change oil at 4,000 miles if the vehicle is operated in dusty conditions, off road, or operated predominately at idle or low rpms.

You should be good according to the owners manual. A UOA would insure that.

If you are changing by OLM and its at 60% after 7 months and 2500 miles on the oil, just run conventional oil in the summer and a thin synthetic in the winter only.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Follow the OLM. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles, twelve months, or 350 hours of run time.

Interesting that they included a comment on run time in the manual. My Burb has a run time recorder (non resettable).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would say 5,000 miles or 1 year. That is cheap enough to do.

+1

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would say 5,000 miles or 1 year. That is cheap enough to do.

+1

Yep every 12 months seems good since you might likely be under 5k miles.

I've run PP in my Caravan up to 11,500 KM (7100 miles) with no issues. That was about an 8 month OCI. Had to add about 1/2 a quart in that interval.

Are you doing your own Oil changes? What filter are you using?

Leave it in for the mfr-recommended OCI. Most companies that use an OLM tell you to change it if it doesn't come on after a year, so do that
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back