Let's talk Renault

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Why don't we have these in the states? I believe they are sold in Mexico and Canada, I saw one from Mexico driving around the neighborhood the other day. I was in Paris last week and think the Talisman is a really sharp sedan, I'd consider one if it were available here. When I was in HS a friend had a Renault Encore we all made fun of, but we didn't think highly of Hyundais at the time either.

Renault, Peugeot and Citroen have some really sharp cars that aren't available here.

gCli7f4.jpg

676_WH_160812_SUP_Renault-Talisman_first-drives-_11_-_Read-Only_-large.jpg

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Maybe because Chevy is already selling them?
smile.gif

new-2018-chevrolet-impala-4drsedanltw1lt-8452-16749459-2-640.jpg

Impala is a beautiful sedan but looks nothing like the Talisman. Also on my very short list of sedans I'd buy
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Some Nissan models are rebadged Renaults right?

When I was in France I saw no Renault models that remotely resembled Nissans. I know Renault owns a pretty big chunk of Nissan.

I'm a huge french car fan.

Unfortunately although we get Renault's in the UK they don't sell the Talisman here which is absolutely gutting. I would have loved to get an estate Talisman for my Missus! It's a gorgeous car.

We had Renaults and Peugeots here back in the late 70s early 80s. They were garbage. Give Skoda a chance in the USA.

Renault-LeCar-ad2-e1300753261713.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I always see interesting cars from Sonora too, like the Toyota Hilux and VW pickups.

24th St & Camelback is my guess, heading East!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

24th St & Camelback is my guess, heading East!

Spot on, as always! Usually I see a Dodge pickup, or some weird little Chevy like a Cavalier
lol.gif

GzTO1IK.png

Originally Posted By: Leo99
We had Renaults and Peugeots here back in the late 70s early 80s. They were garbage. Give Skoda a chance in the USA.

Skoda is nothing but a rebadged VW. Rode in a Superb and it was basically a Passat.

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992

Unfortunately although we get Renault's in the UK they don't sell the Talisman here which is absolutely gutting. I would have loved to get an estate Talisman for my Missus! It's a gorgeous car.

You're right, even the estate is sharp!

Renault-Talisman-Grandtour-5-1024x683.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992

Unfortunately although we get Renault's

Renault logo explained
grin.gif

renault-logo-explained-car-jack.jpg

Perth had Renaults... The last one disappeared only recently, after about 29yrs service.
http://perthbus.info/image.php?image=132698720F26

But perhaps this isn't quite what we're on about in this discussion
grin.gif

Very peculiar setup particularly regarding brakes; the spring-brake in particular has no fail-safe for low air (due to a leak, for example). Engaging and disengaging is done via a lever held in a particular position for 8-10secs. One of those quirky designs for the sake of doing so, I guess.

From memory, there is a model of Renault car that has a very similar dashboard binnacle to the Agora of the early 1990s. Very quirky!

Last edited:
Renault is the second best selling manufacturer here (1st if you include Dacia), second is Fiat and both have factories here. There are quite a few of Talisman’s around although the Megane is more popular. On the other hand American cars are extremely rare. P.s I live in Turkey.

Renaults were always the more reliable of the Frenchies. Growing up in the UK my grandad swore by Renaults and they never gave him greif, in fact my grandma still drives his 2002 Scenic and he died 10 years ago. That thing keeps going, whereas the brand new Peugeots and Citroens my parents had in the 90s and early 2000s were off the road more than on it. My dad got a brand new 2006 Renault Trafic which was fun guessing whether it wanted to start in the morning so I guess even Renault eventually caught up!
They do a lot of badge engineering with Nissan now... All Nissan's dCi badged small diesel engines are Renault sourced, as is the 2.3d in the Navara (also badged as Renault Alaskan) and the Renault Koleos is literally a repanelled Nissan XTrail/Rogue (at least the US gets that one!)

Originally Posted By: Floydian
Renault is the second best selling manufacturer here (1st if you include Dacia), second is Fiat and both have factories here. There are quite a few of Talisman’s around although the Megane is more popular. On the other hand American cars are extremely rare. P.s I live in Turkey.

My favorite are the older Twingos. These things seem to be in every country I visit and crack me up.

renault-twingo-01.jpg

Renault have a below average rating for reliability and customer service in the UK. It's difficult to see how they can go head to head with the oriental makes already established in the USA. They have no infrastucture to speak of, and it's difficult to tell one modern car from another.
It used to be a short drive in most cars gave you a clue as t where it was built, German no-nonsense well built machines, French idiosyncratic oddities, italian fun to drive between breakdowns, British dignified transport that fell apart as fast as its empire, Japanese gadget laden cars that didn't go wrong, but were horrible to drive, American big lazy engined beasts that rumbled along effortlessly until required to go round a sharp curve....
If you sat in a car with its logos removed could you tell where it was built?.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back