Antifreeze Reference Chart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you asked, FCA/Mopar missing it's new OAT AF introduced 2013. Missing FoMoCo DexCool OAT started 2011-2012.

I prefer to call the Asian AFs a P-HOAT so as not confused with straight OAT like DexCool.

In other words not current enough for my liking.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Nissan = Blue

True now, as they went to a PHOAT premix with longer service interval, same as other Asian makes like Honda. Used to be green concentrate up through ~2008.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Looks like the chart is too old. I understand in 2011 Ford went to the equivalent of Dexcool.

Last year ;listed is 2006

I don't remember any Asian makes ever using G-05, they used conventional green before the modern days of P-HOAT Asian Vehicle type coolants (Mazda dark green, Nissan green or blue, Honda blue, Toyota red or pink).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I don't remember any Asian makes ever using G-05, they used conventional green before the modern days of P-HOAT Asian Vehicle type coolants (Mazda dark green, Nissan green or blue, Honda blue, Toyota red or pink).

Some of the Ford clone Mazdas, B-series and Tributes took G-05 when Ford did.

My Hyundai OM calls for standard Ethylene glycol anti freeze. The green stuff. Forester I use a Peak Global. The chart is likely correct, but I would go by the OEM requirements over a color chart.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Do we all agree with this reference chart?

Looks like the chart is too old. I understand in 2011 Ford went to the equivalent of Dexcool.

Disagree. Looks like the chart isn't old enough, like my car, but unlike me.

I know for a fact there were cars with water cooled engines prior to 1990 because I have one,

Originally Posted By: BJD78
My Hyundai OM calls for standard Ethylene glycol anti freeze. The green stuff. Forester I use a Peak Global. The chart is likely correct, but I would go by the OEM requirements over a color chart.

Does it truly call for original green? Almost every manual, including European manuals that I've read, mention ethylene glycol antifreeze. After all, they all are ethylene glycol.

Yes, that is straight out of the OM and what the Hyundai dealerships use as well. The common green stuff though it is the LL. Now our Tuscon has a pinkish red coolant in it that was in there when I bought it . Service records show lower hose thermostat and upper hose replacement was done right before we bought the thing in Feb 2014.It was done by a Shell station. I will likely be rid of both of them long before the coolant life is over, so I will never change coolant on them unless I have a radiator leak, head gasket fail or water pump fail or something like that.

That's interesting to note, but I guess not a total surprise, either. What's really surprising is that the dealerships are maintaining them that way, rather than trying a retrofit to what's currently being used now.
wink.gif

Last time I bought coolant at the Infiniti dealer, they were all concerned making sure I buy the correct coolant for the year of my car, since my car was just before the cutoff. Don't worry, I know what I want to buy.

It's difficult these days to have a single AF/coolant application chart and be assured it's all correct and authoritative. One of the best charts I've seen recently is on Amazon. Chart there for viewing when one looks up a Zerex product like G-05, or original green.

However, looking at it I noticed for FCA Chrysler/Mopar, it shows DexCool from 2013 on. While FCA uses an OAT AF, it's not truly Dex as it has no 2eha found in Dex. Chrysler says gaskets and orings engineered to be compatible with Dex and DexClone Universals since they are the most commonly available and likely to be used by individuals, quick lubes and shops. I'd probably want to stick with FCA OAT, or PGL at the least, LL OAT no 2eha. Otherwise, the Amazon AF chart looks pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back