Another one of those how your brain works tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks very much like the True Colours test that was popular here 10 - 15 years ago. I like it, in that I found I got the same results consistently, rather than the variation in results I saw with Myers-Briggs.

The categories were:

Orange - spontaneous, creative, fun-loving, rule-breaking, rebellious, leisure-seeking

Green - rational, scientific, data-driven, head rules the heart

Blue - warm, kind, emotional

Gold - conscientious, duty-driven, compliant, reliable

I consistently scored very high in Gold, tied pretty much with moderate Green and Blue scores, and scored the minimum possible in the Orange category. This is probably typical of Brit-descended repressed male boomers.

Some of the literature then gets into how we (of a given dominant personality type) see ourselves, how members of the other groups see us, and our strengths and weaknesses.

However, Dr Brian Little's 'Big 5' personality traits (OCEAN - openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism) are now considered to be the gold standard.

http:// http://visionone.co.uk/ocean-personality-types/

Interesting stuff!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
GOLD here as well.

Try the Enneagram test .... (I'm a "1")
PB, I bet a disproportionate number of us BITOGers are strong in the GOLD category. An ORANGE is not going to stress over his or her OCI, or whether it's OK to use a 0W-30 instead of the specified 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: Bear
I never do any of these that ask for personal information.

Age group (teen/adult), sex, and an email address ???

When I went to Executive Charm School (i.e. Leadership Fundamentals) 15 years ago part of the package was a formal Birkman assessment for each participant. The color key is different but a similar concept. I too choose not to supply personal info via the internet for a free version vs the more formal costlier version

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
When I went to Executive Charm School (i.e. Leadership Fundamentals) 15 years ago part of the package was a formal Birkman assessment for each participant. The color key is different but a similar concept. I too choose not to supply personal info via the internet for a free version vs the more formal costlier version

This one's for a risk management workshop next week.

Start of the century was all Myers Briggs...INTJ hardline as an engineer, evolved into INTP as I moved into management.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

This one's for a risk management workshop next week.

Start of the century was all Myers Briggs...INTJ hardline as an engineer, evolved into INTP as I moved into management.
MB usually pegs me as an INTJ but sometimes as an INFJ.

Originally Posted By: Bear
I never do any of these that ask for personal information.

That's as far as I got too - a personality test, my personality comes out soon as they start asking questions.

I've never had a Meyers Briggs test but I'd interpret my Birkman results to be a blend of ISTJ & INTJ just looking at a MB chart. My experience as a technical manager I found I enjoyed being an informal mentor more than a formal supervisor. There's a much wider toolbox and I didn't have to formally knock folks for perhaps being a bit mentally lazy in their thinking. I wouldn't have enjoyed general management, but supervising a group of fellow (mostly) self-motivated geeks was OK. The bureaucracy stuff was never my passion though.

The flowery language used on these things tickles my funny bone - when I read one of the results in my Birkman study under "Stress Behaviors" was spelled out as "Ignores Social Convention" I had to laugh as my immediate mental image was me with my right middle finger rigidly extended!
lol.gif

Was interesting, the context was an error reduction workshop, and THAT tool was to see how you view the world, and what superpowers/kryptonite come along with how your brain works.

Got us all to stand in corners of the room according to our dominant traits, and as a team who have worked together for ages, it was quite enlightening knowing how people view the world, and recounting in your head the practices that have built your view of their efforts and performance.

Very different to the other ones that I've done over the last 20 years which are more how you yourself do things, not how "we" do things.

Got my children to do the test Friday night, which lead to great conversation on when they "vent", I try to "fix it" (they just want to be heard), and when I say "go", they have to have the "why" explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back