Check out my tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
This tree in my yard is at least 60 years old. Seems healthy but sure does lean. It grew about 20ft in the rains we had 2 years ago. The red tail hawks have babies in it every year.

Is it in danger of falling over?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Has it always leaned?

How is the root structure?
ya its always had a lean. The wind blows from the south which I'm sure contributed to its lean. How do I check a Root structure? We had 60 mph gusts tuesday and it didn't fall.

Nothing wrong with that tree. The prevailing winds have leaned and shaped it. They have also forced the tree to set the root structures to strengthen it from those winds. As long as nothing is under it you should be okay.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That's an AWESOME view!! I love it!
that's looking east. Each lot is 5 acres so we are not too close to other houses. The area I live in is a secret. Many people in town have no clue we are out here. I am 1 mile from a paved road.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
that's looking east. Each lot is 5 acres so we are not too close to other houses. The area I live in is a secret. Many people in town have no clue we are out here. I am 1 mile from a paved road.

That is so cool!!!

I used to live in Apple Valley near Apple Valley Road and Seneca when I was assigned to George AFB. Nice area. Good for having a family, nothing else to do! Actually, I worked so much I didn't have time to do much of anything else.

It looks like as he is living on a moon
smile.gif
The only green stuff on this picture is that leaning tree wich is about to fall
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

It looks like as he is living on a moon
smile.gif
The only green stuff on this picture is that leaning tree wich is about to fall
smile.gif

Looks like outside
grin2.gif

Leave it alone. If you try and straighten it you will necessarily interfere with the root structure. If it does fall as long as it won't cause any property damage does it really matter?.

Claud.

After a week of unusually heavy rain, we had two 60 foot pine trees that were already leaning about 20-30 degrees from verticle finally fall one windy day. The root structure ripped right out of the ground. My dogs used to take a nap under those trees because of the shade and the nice breeze. Now, they won't go anywhere near there. It appears that good root structure and solid ground is the key to keeping a leaning tree from falling over. At least mark off a safety zone. We were lucky. The trees fell in an area that damaged nothing. If not for the wind that day they might have taken down a fence and my wife's rose garden.

A different tree fall story:

A few days before this, the neighbour a couple of houses down said "The boy (his son) better move his truck - that tree's gonna fall on it."

The truck (a Ranger) did get moved, and a few days later, when I was under the 5 changing oil, I heard a strange creaking noise and looked over in time to see this limb come down in slow motion. Very different situation from the OPs though - this was a big old Elm that had branched out in infancy. The big limb had rotted right at the base. This was in 2014.

Can you get Pizza delivered?

Originally Posted By: marine65

Can you get Pizza delivered?
no. Well as have to drive a couple of miles to meet the pizza guy,might as well go get it myself.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm amazed it grew that big, in an area that dry & windy-is that a white pine? Think I would be planting a wind turbine or three!
lots of wind mills up here. I don't know exactly what kind of tree it is,some sort of pine. Its in the area that the well guy said would be a good 2nd place for a well if we ever had to redrill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back