New Starter Test Report Says Solenoid Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello..

Starter on Accord is acting up. Decided to buy a new made in China one off Amazon from DB Electrical based on some descent reviews. Will possibly rebuild the original one once I get a chance. Was going to install this weekend but looked at the test report and saw that both the solenoid open and close tests list a fail. Overall test at the top of the sheet says pass. I know very little about starters but can figure out that FAIL is no good. Emailed DB Electrical but I am guessing I will not hear back until Monday. Thoughts? Thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15Bq4vcU2K19GIjClqiztgObXyYuI1oec

Last edited:
My sage advice is to go with a used starter. You know it worked at one time. The Rat's 38$ Chinese starter made less than 200 starts and the Rat starts easily, before a catastrophic failure. Judging from the scorch marks,some windings shorted. The starter limps along now with the old armature and solenoid.I was swayed by the fact that I couldnt get parts to fix the old starter for that price.

Buy a Denso reman starter from Rockauto. They are the best aftermarket option available.

DB Electrical emailed me back and said to go and have the starter tested. Really???? Great customer service they have there. I didn’t expect a $65 starter to last as long as the OEM but to have a failed solenoid right on the test sheet is a bit ridiculous

Originally Posted By: chevys10
Starter on Accord is acting up. Decided to buy a new made in China one off Amazon from DB Electrical based on some descent reviews. Will possibly rebuild the original one once I get a chance. Was going to install this weekend but looked at the test report and saw that both the solenoid open and close tests list a fail. Overall test at the top of the sheet says pass. I know very little about starters but can figure out that FAIL is no good. Emailed DB Electrical but I am guessing I will not hear back until Monday. Thoughts? Thanks

Despite "decent reviews" the highlighted portion above is the problem. Like The Critic suggests, buy a reman or new Denso.

Use a jumpstart pack or jumper cables to test it yourself. If solenoid pulls in and it spins, it should be OK to put on the car. That's all that anyone can do with an off the car test anyway.

I have found the Pass/Fail reading on many things are false, its not a true fail its just not inside the perimeters set on the machine for a given result, its probably in perfect working order. Another model starter may show a pass.
The values inc the solenoid look okay, I would put it in the car after it passed a quick and dirty test as the other poster suggested.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Buy a Denso reman starter from Rockauto. They are the best aftermarket option available.
Couldn't have said it any better, but I'm not able to mention that manufacturer for another ten months and nine days. I purchased a replacement starter for my 04 V6 from Spark Plugs.com.

What makes them better than a Bosch, Motorcraft or Delco reman? The fact it works as it should does not make it "better" so what is it?
Do they rewind the armature and field and the others don't or what? Just asking.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What makes them better than a Bosch, Motorcraft or Delco reman? The fact it works as it should does not make it "better" so what is it?
Do they rewind the armature and field and the others don't or what? Just asking.

My understanding is that Denso reman's have lower failure rates than the competition. Probably due to better QC at the assembly plants? All of the ones that I have received are made in the US.

Ended up getting a reman from Advance Auto. I have had a run of bad luck with a few items purchased online and the lifetime warranty was the deciding factor. I am going to see if I can rebuild the OEM one myself.

Originally Posted By: George7941
http://densoautoparts.com/alternators.aspx

The Denso site says they test the bearings and repack them with OEM grade grease. I find that surprising, I expected that the bearings would be always replaced.

It sounds like they just test everything and throw some new brushes at it, nothing I would pay top dollar for that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back