Kawasaki oem filter bypass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the bypass pressure of the Kawasaki atv or motorcycle filters?
I'd also like to know what the bypass pressure is on the K&N black can motorcycle filters.
I can't find any numbers on either one, and I'd like to compare them to the bypass on the FU car filter replacement.
Thank you.

I sincerely doubt they ever go into bypass mode…

Even though the filters are small,
They supply an incredible amount of flow ability
for such a small oil pump.

I believe some are made by Tokyo Roki if that helps. The no numbers thing surprises me.. Are you sure they are Genuine?

The mule takes a filter that would otherwise be used on a mid 90's Toyota Rav4, but obviously YMMV.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I believe some are made by Tokyo Roki if that helps. The no numbers thing surprises me.. Are you sure they are Genuine?

The mule takes a filter that would otherwise be used on a mid 90's Toyota Rav4, but obviously YMMV.

They are genuine oem filters. They are made in China, and have a Denso logo on the side. Kawasaki doesn't have a spec sheet on them that I've been able to find.

It will be tough finding the actual bypass numbers (or any other hard data, really) for OEM filters. If the Kawasaki filter you have is part number 16097-0008 (used on most modern Kawis with spin-ons), then it's basically the same filter as used on most other Japanese bikes using spin-on filters, and they all cross-reference to the same aftermarket filters. Bypass values typically range from 9-13 psid.

Is your FU a 6607/7317? I'd use it without hesitation assuming it's the correct fit.*

* - Note that Fram's cross-reference would actually be to PH6017A for motorcycle applications. But the XG6607/7317 has the same dimensions, thread size, etc, so will fit correctly.

Originally Posted By: jeff78
It will be tough finding the actual bypass numbers (or any other hard data, really) for OEM filters. If the Kawasaki filter you have is part number 16097-0008 (used on most modern Kawis with spin-ons), then it's basically the same filter as used on most other Japanese bikes using spin-on filters, and they all cross-reference to the same aftermarket filters. Bypass values typically range from 9-13 psid.

Is your FU a 6607/7317? I'd use it without hesitation assuming it's the correct fit.*

* - Note that Fram's cross-reference would actually be to PH6017A for motorcycle applications. But the XG6607/7317 has the same dimensions, thread size, etc, so will fit correctly.

Yes, I was looking at the xg7317. I've heard that the ph6017a is not as well built as the Ultraguard series, so I didn't want to use it.
I was also considering the Wix XP 51356xp, but saw that it only had a 8-11 psi. I kind of want to stick with a little higher number because I'm switching over to a thicker oil this week.

Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
Yes, I was looking at the xg7317. I've heard that the ph6017a is not as well built as the Ultraguard series, so I didn't want to use it.

Go for it, the Fram Ultra is a great filter. I've used them for many tens of thousands of miles without issue.

Originally Posted By: jeff78

I bought an Ultra XG7317 for the next oil change on my Yamaha XSR900. As you pointed out, it looks like a better replacement for the PH6017A motorcycle filter, and has the same bypass valve setting, etc. The XG7317 should have very low delta-p on a motorcycle engine.

The XG7317 is about 0.8 inch longer than the PH6017A or OEM filter, but will still fit with good clearance on the XSR900. Be sure you have the space for the slightly longer XG7317.

Dang, I love this forum. You guys are awesome!

I've got the K&N on the bike right now, and I've cut open one to see how they look. It's a great filter with all the bells and whistles (except for mesh reinforced pleats), but I think I will give the FU a try because it's a bit longer, will hold more oil, and I've got tons of room for it!

I've got the K&N on the bike right now, and I've cut open one to see how they look. It's a great filter with all the bells and whistles (except for mesh reinforced pleats), but I think I will give the FU a try because it's a bit longer, will hold more oil, and I've got tons of room for it!

It's probably also a lot more efficient than the K&N.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It's probably also a lot more efficient than the K&N.

I don't know because I can't find a lot of info on the K&N either. Just the basic marketing stuff.

Last edited:
Anyone know the bypass pressure of the Kawasaki atv or motorcycle filters?
I'd also like to know what the bypass pressure is on the K&N black can motorcycle filters.
I can't find any numbers on either one, and I'd like to compare them to the bypass on the FU car filter replacement.
Thank you.

You can almost bank on the fact that automotive oil filters will have a higher 3 to 5 PSI bypass then bike filters.

Reasonable statement for me will be bike PSI bypass run around 12 or so and automotive 15 as a general statement.

Does it matter? most likely not
Is it best for your bike engine? No, or the bike maker would just use automotive filters.

Is it worth it? Thats up to you.

You can buy a quality filter from one of two best (?) filter makers in the world specific to your bike at half the cost of a K&N and a little less then OEM price.
BTW K&N = Hifiltro filter painted orange, you can almost bank on it.

Hiflofiltro or Emgo

Click here for the hiflo site, maybe PSI is in here

Last edited:
After doing some homework I'm not worried about putting an Ultra XG7317 on the Yamaha XSR900. Fram specs the PH6017A which shows the bypass valve setting as 9-15 PSI. The XG7317 shows the bypass valve setting as 13 PSI, which is in the middle of the 9-15 range on the PH6017A. I'd think the OEM Yamaha filter would have a bypass valve setting close to these two Fram filter.

Since the Ultra is full synthetic it should flow better and have less delta-p than the PH6017A, so there should be no worries about oil flow. The slightly larger size of the 7317 also helps reduce delta-p some.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I sincerely doubt they ever go into bypass mode…

If you compare the minuscule (they really are tiny) oil pump gears of most motorcycle engines

to those of a car engine oil pump (that uses the same small filter)

You also would have SERIOUS doubts the motorcycle will ever see bypass mode.

Bikes do rev to the moon and usually use heavier oil than most cars. But I agree, I'd think the max pump GPM on a bike is less than most cars. I wouldn't expect the filter to hit bypass unless it was a very cold start-up with heavy oil followed by 10,000+ RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back