Recommendations for a Repossed Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this evening I signed an agreement on a 2016 Honda with less than 6800 miles on the odometer. The vehicle appears to have been in the legal mill for a while. The CARFAX report indicates an oil change over a year ago at under 3800 miles. It's a Honda Certified Used, which may or may not indicate a more recent oil change. My thoughts are to change the oil and filter at the first opportunity after taking possession, which probably means a week and 500 miles. Your thought please?

If the car is Honda certified used, then it's either had an oil change that the dealer can document or you insist that they do one before completing the transaction.
Easy enough.

Variant C:
pull the stick
if light color or transparent, you have recent/fresh oil.

also , can you check in your settings how many miles/days until next oil change?

Originally Posted By: Onug
Change the oil. It’s piece of mind and cheap.

+1

Might change a few other things to be safe....never know how it was taken care of....

Hope it was a good deal...

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Variant C:
pull the stick
if light color or transparent, you have recent/fresh oil.

THIS.... X100

No need to change it unless it is dirty.

Actually I should have said that we inked the deal yesterday, but will be taking delivery next week. Will check the OLM and dipstick at time of delivery. The dealer probably will service it prior to delivery. Either way, my son racks up over 500 miles per week so we will be changing the oil soon enough. This vehicle has the 2.4 liter I4 and calls of 0w20 oil. I think we will abide by the OLM for the first two OCIs, given that engine is still breaking in. An educated guess based on the driving pattern is 8-9k miles. We'll get a UOA at the end of that second OCI when we know what oil was actually used.

I don’t get some of the replies at all.

OP says it is a Honda Certified.

10 seconds of Google turns up MANY hits to a copy of the Honda CPO procedure.

If the dealer did their job (and contrary to popular belief they probably did) this car should need nothing. In fact since it probably cost a bit more than one that isn’t CPO, it seems reasonable for the OP to require that is the case. He is also supposed to get a copy of the CPO worksheet and warranties.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I don’t get some of the replies at all.

What website are you at ? There are people here who could watch the previous owner, dealer, etc change the oil before they are handed the keys but immediately go home and change it again because they used the "wrong" brand or the "wrong" weight.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

It has 6800 miles on it. NOTHING needs changed at that point. Honda is perfectly okay with oil change intervals of close to 7500 (maybe longer nowadays). Our '05 Odyssey had an oil percentage life counter and routinely went 7000 miles.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

It has 6800 miles on it. NOTHING needs changed at that point. Honda is perfectly okay with oil change intervals of close to 7500 (maybe longer nowadays). Our '05 Odyssey had an oil percentage life counter and routinely went 7000 miles.

That is if the owner knowing it was going to get repossessed didn't dump say a quart of karo syrup into the oil. I would change it run a few hundred miles on a cheap conventional oil and then change it again to a full synthetic. But that just me go with what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:

It has 6800 miles on it. NOTHING needs changed at that point. Honda is perfectly okay with oil change intervals of close to 7500 (maybe longer nowadays). Our ’05 Odyssey had an oil percentage life counter and routinely went 7000 miles.

It is within 3 months of a year, they should have changed it unless there is a record of a change we don’t know about.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

That is if the owner knowing it was going to get repossessed didn't dump say a quart of karo syrup into the oil. I would change it run a few hundred miles on a cheap conventional oil and then change it again to a full synthetic. But that just me go with what you feel comfortable with.

Honda Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle

https://www.hondacertified.com/certified-preowned-benefits

Last edited:
So I’ll amend my earlier comment. If the oil and oil filter look new, then it was changed as part of the Honda Certified check and you should be good to go. I’d probably change it within 3,000 miles so I knew what oil is in there.

Give the low mileage, the previous owner was probably still on the factory fill. If the oil looks old/original, then you’re talking about 2 year old oil in an engine that might have sat for many months and/or been driven like a stock car. Who knows what’s in there, including moisture. Change it, independent of mileage...that’s where the piece of mind comes into play.

There are trustworthy dealerships out there, but they (the industry) generally has a horrible reputation for a reason. If a dealership was to skimp on a certification assessment, it would be on a car being sent out-of-state.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Why rely on something you know nothing about? CHANGE IT!

because you have other things to do with your limited time on earth. Does anyone on their deathbed say oh I wish I used that saturday to change that dealerfill oil instead of doing [fill in the blank]

If doing an oil change is in the top of your list to that brings you happiness then sure do it and count your blessings

Honda would likely do a courtesy change if you tell them you have a concern. Try it.

If not, leave the filter on (Honda goes 2X on filters any ways) and simply drain and refill. $12 and a trip to Walmart is all you need.

On another line of thinking, at that mileage per week, this thing seems like a good candidate for something like AP, you’d be around 40 weeks for a yearly oil change. I imagine there is language in the CPO extended warranty that would make it imprudent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back