2015 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke 38k oci broken crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks UD. My warranty info doesn't refer to hours, just miles. Maybe if you have a PTO setup there is an amendment to the warranty to include hours or miles.

It could be something unique to the Canadian warranty supplement, too.

Ford hasn't had a good diesel engine since the 7.3 went away. Navistar should have put 4-valve heads and HPCR injection on that engine, and they would have an engine on par with the Cummins.

$70K Ford 6.7 diesel pickups have INDIAN MADE CRANKSHAFTS?? I seriously need to make my stuff last forever, there's no way in [CENSORED] I would ever buy a new one!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Ford hasn't had a good diesel engine since the 7.3 went away. Navistar should have put 4-valve heads and HPCR injection on that engine, and they would have an engine on par with the Cummins.

I had a 7.3L its not nearly as good as a 12 valve cummins, at only 150hp out of 7.3 litres it is no wonder they last long, once you start adding power they blow up pretty quick, the transmission was god awful too, even worse than the 47re, my 6.0 was actually more reliable.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: DustinC
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So what ridiculously high hp setting did you have it on?

stock so 300hp at the crank, prob dyno 230RWHP
My 2015 is 440HP/860TQ stock--yours should be similar if not more with the delete in place. I have read in different forums that while not uncommon for a PSD crank to fail, there have been some. I would expect to see more of this rather than less as long as the "HP Wars" continue with the same components. The 2017+ models have upped the TQ to 925 and it was rumored that Ford wanted 500HP/1000TQ in the 2019 models.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...but how is it out of warranty? 38,000KM is less than 24K miles and it is only 2 to 2-1/2 years old? Am I misreading something?

ever have you truck on a dyno? and the C&C are detuned with different turbos and aftertreatment systems, truck is 300hp stock and deleting it I did not add any extra fueling or timing so its still the same if not lower

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: DustinC
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So what ridiculously high hp setting did you have it on?

stock so 300hp at the crank, prob dyno 230RWHP
My 2015 is 440HP/860TQ stock--yours should be similar if not more with the delete in place. I have read in different forums that while not uncommon for a PSD crank to fail, there have been some. I would expect to see more of this rather than less as long as the "HP Wars" continue with the same components. The 2017+ models have upped the TQ to 925 and it was rumored that Ford wanted 500HP/1000TQ in the 2019 models.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...but how is it out of warranty? 38,000KM is less than 24K miles and it is only 2 to 2-1/2 years old? Am I misreading something?

38,000km on the oil, 200,000km on the truck + engine

FWIW i maintain a fleet of rescues for the state capital and the 6.7 psd has been the most trouble free engine we have. We had one finally quit with nearly 19000 hours on it, with 155k road miles and we still have one with nearly 25000 hours on it with 215000 miles. The engine still going does use some oil and leaks oil from several seals due to high crankcase pressure but still runs smoothly with little to no exhaust smoke. Both trucks in question are 2011s and are fully deleted and tuned. We do all of our engine overhauls in house. I just finished a Maxxforce 9 (dt466) that failed at 5700 hours from a broken lifter retainer. I am eager to see what the 6.7 with 25000 hours looks like when I finally tear it down.

Last edited:
Yea I'm a die hard ford guy but that low of mileage and only 6000 hours even if using a PTO shouldn't have broke a darn crank!!! Those iron numbers in your report were an indicator for sure, heck my 05 6.oh with 130k on it has never had iron numbers that high!! I'm less than half that. 45ppm was a sign!

Long live the 6.0!! I'll keep my "under dog" around awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back