Any night owls listen to 740 AM in Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
It's one of my favorite oldies stations. They play all kinds of old music.

I don't listen to 740. Can you listen to it over the internet?

What are its call letters?

Used to LOVE listening to the CBC show "As It Happens". The 50K watt transmission is no longer.
The signal would skip all the way down Lake Champlain all day long.

I was a younger radio listener then.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Used to LOVE listening to the CBC show "As It Happens". The 50K watt transmission is no longer.

The local station here, 101.5, used to have similarly insane broadcasting power, 48,500W according to the WIKI I'm reading. We used to be able to have it for the entire two hour drive to Muskoka no problem, and could get it on the island. When driving out east, you could get it well past Kingston, it was amazing.

However, that is no longer the case and my thought was that it was stepping on the toes of the New York station running on the same frequency. It seems in 2006 broadcasting power was decreased to 15,300W, in part due to the new 1,000ft tower they put in. Regardless, that seems to have had a significant effect on the range, as it's nothing like what it used to be.

the real oldies are getting harder to find on the radio, but lots on-line, even my local WISL 1480 AM that i listened as a kid is on-line + a set of external powered speakers plugged into the computer sounds better than a typical AM radio. like the cars of the 50's the music is great, so many good singers like Orbsion, + the Righteous Bros etc + the great harmony of doo wop music!! i Jay Black performing beyond belief from a WVIA public TV show @ 72 years young is on a you tube vid jay black then + now WOW!! so many good performers as well as what they sang!!

Originally Posted By: Kira

OT: As it Happens is available on North Country public radio WAMC @ 11pm; 90.3 in Albany (transmitter is in MA)
I believe there is a transmitter in Saratoga;

I occasionally can pull it in on the CT shoreline in SE CT. Love the jazz flute theme song.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
It's one of my favorite oldies stations. They play all kinds of old music.

I don't listen to 740. Can you listen to it over the internet?

I can’t imagine a profitable radio station that does not leverage the simple tech of streaming in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back