2018 Chevy Equinox 1.5T mini-review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now at 3 weeks ownership and just under 1000 miles I'll give my $.02 on this SUV (like anyone cares). This is the FWD LT package with the sun/sound option.

Likes: So far pretty decent fuel economy for a larger vehicle. I drive fairly conservatively and I'm learning to hypermile a bit without irritating other drivers.
Road noise is minimal at highway speeds and the suspension handles Minnesota's awful roads well.
Has plenty enough power to get up to highway speeds on the onramps. Wife thinks it's fine, and her last car was a Saturn Aura XR 3.6.
Seats are comfortable (no leather), the drivers seat has multiple power adjustments (passenger seat doesn't) and the heated seat option works great.
Sound system is really nice and I'm getting the hang of using Android Auto. I mainly use Waze for navigation and Pandora for streaming music. The 8" touchscreen display is easy to see (except in bright sunlight) and reacts well to inputs.
Nice having multiple USB ports in the front and rear.
Rear seat comfort is good with plenty of space for passengers.
Rear cargo space is decent and the I like the fold flat rear seats with the seat releases in the back.
Stock horn is plenty loud and I don't think I'll be adding any extras (like I did with my Rav4).

Dislikes: Stop/Start function seems to have a mind of it's own. I finally figured out that it won't work until the engine is up to operating temps, if the vehicle is stopped on an incline or stopped with the wheels turned. Other than that it works well and I can usually time stoplights so right before green releasing the brake pedal the engine fires right up.
Transmission needs a lot of throttle for downshifts, although the Saturn had the same characteristics. So if you need to pass someone RIGHT NOW you pretty much have to firewall the gas pedal.
The switches for the sunroof and shade could be a little more pronounced- I have to look at the roof control panel to make sure I'm hitting the right one but I'm sure over time I'll figure it out so I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
The stock tires wander a bit over crowned roads but not too extreme, just a minor annoyance.

I have yet to crawl underneath and see how to change the oil/filter but reading other reports online it seems simple enough. Maybe someone can explain why this engine uses a spin on filter and my previous HHR 2.2 Ecotec used a cartridge type on the top.

Other than that I'm happy with the Nox and more importantly the wife's happy with it.

Few weeks ago I rented a 2018 Malibu with the same engine, and comparable mileage (very new).
It also returned amazing fuel economy!
If I had to buy a dd to handle traffic and that nonsense, that would be my choice!

Only downside was the acceleration, had me wishing I was in my Lex.
Sometimes it was downright frightening when attempting passes
eek.gif

The fuel economy does look good. OEMs have suggested they will be better able to take advantage of TGDI technology when they don’t have to anticipate LSPI and enrich fuel richness acdordingly. Wonder if we’re seeing an example here with the adoption of LSPI-resistant dexos1Gen2 oils as required for the OP’s Chevy?

Originally Posted By: marine65
Why did you not get AWD in MN.?

I’m in Minnesota, and it’s definitely not needed in the Twin Cities, in my opinion. The terrain is super-flat, we don’t get a lot of snow, and the plowing system in the metro is probably the best in the world.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E365

I’m in Minnesota, and it’s definitely not needed in the Twin Cities, in my opinion. The terrain is super-flat, we don’t get a lot of snow, and the plowing system in the metro is probably the best in the world.

Except the last month and a half... or were you on vacation?
grin.gif

All kidding aside, nice ride! That's great MPG for a brand new compact SUV!

Since my wife telecommutes most of the time we didn't feel that another 4WD/AWD was needed (the Rav4 is 4WD). I have to be at work when I'm the control room foreman so the Rav is handy when we get a ton of snow. I made it to work during the Halloween storm of '91 in Chrysler FWD K-car.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Only downside was the acceleration, had me wishing I was in my Lex.
Sometimes it was downright frightening when attempting passes
eek.gif

Lol, comparing a 305hp v6 with a turbocharged weedwhacker.

For MPG comparison I drove a 2013 equinox with the 4 cylinder to niagara falls.. and back.

best section of road I think I averaged around 30.9mpg.
trip average doing 55-75mph was 28mpg.

This was a best case scenario.. warm enough to not need a/c or defrost.

I was doing 75mph in the 70 zones.. and running 5-10mph over in the 50-65mph zones.
all highway.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Originally Posted By: E365

Except the last month and a half... or were you on vacation?
grin.gif

All kidding aside, nice ride! That's great MPG for a brand new compact SUV!

MN Metro area resident here too. I'd agree, I stopped buying AWD vehicles and just put snow tires on in the winter. IMO, FWD with snows do just as well (if not better) and are less maintenance and initial investment. Usually better MPG too!

Last edited:
2100 miles and the fuel economy keeps getting better and better. I did top it off and my calculation for 217 miles and 6.5 gallons came to 33.3 mpg, so the onboard calculator is a little off. It'll be interesting to see how much the A/C will impact the mileage since it's getting warmer here in MN. I had it on when I drove home from work today (35 miles one way) and it looks like it didn't affect it much at all. I'm going to change the factory fill in a week or so- depends on when I get time to do it.

Those are some impressive numbers. I really like the styling on the new 'nox. Sharp vehicle.

I'm always drawn to diesels and was disappointed in the nox because it was a 1.6 L
Of course I'm aware diesels don't make a bunch of sense these days.
Well I checked one out and that 1.6 L was shoe horned in there. Zero room.
Now I know why. Thanks for your review. I love the mpg...

Originally Posted By: Huie83
MN Metro area resident here too. I'd agree, I stopped buying AWD vehicles and just put snow tires on in the winter. IMO, FWD with snows do just as well (if not better) and are less maintenance and initial investment. Usually better MPG too!

The '18 Equinox AWD keeps the driveshaft to the rear end completely still. Not moving. Unless you hit the AWD button, then it engages.
This is a thing where it prevents power and fuel sapping AWD systems from turning & churning when its not needed, which is most of the time.
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I think I was wrong about the supplier-designer for the disconnecting AWD system. I thought it was GKN, mentioned in the context of the larger GM CUV's in retrospect. Anyway, this system has been used in the Cherokee in recent model years, although the one in the '18 Equinox AWD is a newer evolution. .....

"Who supplies the Equinox’s new disconnecting rear-axle set-up? That’s the American Axle system called EcoTrac." https://www.sae.org/news/2017/04/engineering-chevys-lighter-stronger-cuv ....."The system disconnects at the power transfer unit (PTU) and the rear drive module (RDM) allowing large portions of the driveline to stop rotating while in front-wheel drive mode, including both the PTU and RDM hypoid gear sets, the bearings associated with the gear sets, and the driveshaft." --- https://www.aam.com/media/story/aam-s-next-generation-ecotrac-increases-

I've activated it at speed and at a stand-still, and you can't hear anything engage! Just a button near the shifter for the Equinox, not automatic activation. You have to know to activate it when the human driver thinks conditions (slick) warrant it. I prefer that actually. Its off 99% of the time for better fuel economy and low wear back there (PTU and rear-end too).

ecotrac-rdm.tmb-1200-crop.jpg

Now with 4600 miles on the rig I think the fuel economy is probably going to stay where it's at. Not too bad in my opinion. Only issue so far is a cracked windshield from a rock that got kicked up from a passing pickup. Chevy dealer took 2 weeks locating a new one, and it's finally getting replaced next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back