Thinking of weaning off the Amsoil teat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG
TBN is 12.5 for Amsoil SS, according to Amsoil.

Yeah, sorry, I knew it was in the 12s.

That much more stout yet.
wink.gif

Use whatever oil you want, for whatever YOU want to spend on it.
Just don't criticize others for spending what they do, on the oils which THEY want (for ANY reason/rationale), fair enough?
smile.gif

I don't criticize any of 'y'all' for spending your money on vices/hobbies/pursuits/etc. in which I don't even 'imbibe', so I expect the same as far as MY oil purchases go.
wink.gif

When will we finally stop judging an oil by add-pack ppm figures in a VOA? For example, AP doesn’t look stout on paper but it’s a superior oil in just about every way than those with “stouter” add-packs. Remember that additives aren’t created the same. The zinc in AP could be far different than that in ST, requiring less.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks for the link for the UOA kits. If they're on par with B-S I'll give them a try. I like saving $$.
I received mine with no issues from Rock Auto and Oil Analyzers has multiple labs. I had hoped they had one in Houston, but the nearest one to me is Atlanta, Georgia. They also have labs in Ohio and Oregon, and in Ontario and Alberta for my friends in the Great White North. For less than $15 (with shipping) they are hard to beat.

If you run 15,000 mile oci's instead of (3) 5,000 mile or (2) 7,500 mile oci's the Amsoil cost really isn't a factor.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
If you run 15,000 mile oci's instead of (3) 5,000 mile or (2) 7,500 mile oci's the Amsoil cost really isn't a factor.

I'm sorry to get off subject, but ZZman, I see in your signature you're using Rotella T6 MVO. Why did you choose this oil over ALL of the other oils on the market? What weight are you using? And, what is you OCI mileage?
Thank You.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I'm sorry to get off subject, but ZZman, I see in your signature you're using Rotella T6 MVO. Why did you choose this oil over ALL of the other oils on the market? What weight are you using? And, what is you OCI mileage?
Thank You.

Rotella MVO would 5w30.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/shell-...heavy-duty.html

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
When will we finally stop judging an oil by add-pack ppm figures in a VOA? For example, AP doesn’t look stout on paper but it’s a superior oil in just about every way than those with “stouter” add-packs. Remember that additives aren’t created the same. The zinc in AP could be far different than that in ST, requiring less.

Interesting. Can you tell us more about this difference in additives? We know Moly can be different in some oils.

For example, AP doesn’t look stout on paper but it’s a superior oil in just about every way than those with “stouter” add-packs.
Based upon what?

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Thank You.

Rotella MVO would 5w30.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/shell-...heavy-duty.html

Thank you BIGHORN.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
For example, AP doesn’t look stout on paper but it’s a superior oil in just about every way than those with “stouter” add-packs.
Based upon what?

The foundation of any oil begins with its base oil. Judging by the price point and OCI for this oil, I am willing to say that it has a better base stock that allows the oil to be in service for a longer time than other oils commonly found on the shelves.

One thing I got from prior M1 AP debates was a better appreciation for M1 EP in 0w20

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Based upon what?
The foundation of any oil begins with its base oil. Judging by the price point and OCI for this oil, I am willing to say that it has a better base stock that allows the oil to be in service for a longer time than other oils commonly found on the shelves.
I would disagree with this--price point does not necessarily equate to oil quality, but more towards marketing. In my experience (which is somewhat anecdotal), it is typically the TBN which determines service life along with other factors such as useage type, engine family, etc.

M1 AFE (which is not guaranteed to last x miles or time) performed the same as M1EP which is marketed to last 15K in my 2010 FX4. Hence, M1AP may or may not have a better base oil than the other M1 offerings, but it likely has a higher starting TBN and/or it has higher TBN retention than the others.

With all of that said, nearly everyone on this site does not use oil to its fullest, opting to change it early (I add myself to this group at times), therefore in most cases, it does not matter what the base oil quality or TBN is--we never need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back