Mixing, example: Valvoline syn pre and post d1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Valvoline Synthetic 0W-20 (for example) pre and post dexos1Gen2 might as well be different oils. The add pack is completely different. Pre is a motor oil high in Sodium and post (current), no Sodium, reduced Calcium, added Moly and Boron.

Who's telling the guy in Alaska buying brand in qts (mixed pre and post d1G2) that he shouldn't mix?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Interesting thought. I am guessing there is no incompatibility issues there.

My guess is you're right because if there was and Valvoline didn't put out a tech bulletin they have a liability issue!

Last edited:
I agree. I don't see how this could be an issue and not addressed by Valvoline or any other brand that's switched its add pack, especially this drastically.

Unless you plan to go crazy in a very high tech engine for a long period of time, pretty sure it would not be worth the sweat on the brow....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Unless you plan to go crazy in a very high tech engine for a long period of time...

What does this mean?
If spec'd for your car and you're using appropriate oci, engine tech means nothing.

If "going crazy" means using an oil outside it's performance scope, your comment could be applied to every oil.

The premise here concerns mixing two very different add pkg where the brands packaging is indistinguishable. In some early cases, not even labled "dexos1Gen2". From a non-bitog, avg consumer's point of view, there is no difference. My assertion is that if there were a mixing issue, the manufacturer, blender would label it as such. And being a dexos certied product, this even applies to oils designed for extreme low temps.

I know Shannow has posted an instance where under extremely cold temps a breakdown of mixed oils occurred (specifics of what was mixed is unknown). Not sure this still holds true and the switch fron d1 to d1G2 bears this out.

I don't think I'd use the term 'very different' as far as
motor oils go here. There is, of course, some tweaking of
additives. More of this, less of that, and increase of
detergents across the line for the newer spec oils.

My 2¢

I'll mow the lawn in a sunday dress the day Valvoline, or any other big blender, ever released an incompatible, unstable or cross-reactive product bearing the same certifications, ever. Ideal? Perhaps not, but dangerous or detrimental? Hardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back