Amsoil ATF for Honda ATF-Z1 Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjk
Critic,

Thanks for sharing.

So Amsoil and DW1 are compatible - let's say a person did just 1 drain with Amsoil - would that combination still work ok ?

If you have an application which specifies DW1 (originally), you will need to use Amsoil ATL (blue cap).

During the test drive after the first drain and refill, the transmission shifted firmer than DW1, but less firm that it did after the 3rd drain and refill.

Like I previously said, if you are particular about shift quality, this may not be for you. The shifts are "different" than with the OE fluid. Not saying it is better or worse. If you like how your Honda trans shifted from the factory, you are better off using OE fluid and changing a lot more frequently.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Have that same engine in 07 Accord wih ~87k miles. Ime very smooth, runs good.

Done only single d&fs with MaxLife since Z1 superseded, ~25k service interval. Working fine for me.

In my observation Amsoil ATF (OE and SS) for Honda well regarded on this sub forum.

Also, 07 Accord K24. Just did a single drain with OEM Honda fluid. Was just curious about the Amsoil. I paid $8.99 a quart at AAP.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Have that same engine in 07 Accord wih ~87k miles. Ime very smooth, runs good.

Done only single d&fs with MaxLife since Z1 superseded, ~25k service interval. Working fine for me.

In my observation Amsoil ATF (OE and SS) for Honda well regarded on this sub forum.

Critic, did you by any chance unhook the battery or reset the computer so it would relearn the shift parameters?

I have often heard changing fluid effecting shift quality but resetting the computer sometimes correcting it.

I prefer a firmer shift, so I would be pleased anyways!

Originally Posted By: cronk
Critic, did you by any chance unhook the battery or reset the computer so it would relearn the shift parameters?

I have often heard changing fluid effecting shift quality but resetting the computer sometimes correcting it.

Disconnecting the battery usually does not reset the shift adaptations; there is a function within most scanners that allow for this to be completed. The problem is that after you reset the adaptive learning, there is often a very specific drive-cycle procedure that must take place in order for the transmission to properly relearn. This takes time, and time that I am not compensated for....

I have been using Amsoil ATF in my Civic's transmission since it had 120,000 miles on it. Now 382,000 miles later, I can

very highly recommend this fluid!

I once tried Amsoils excellent multi-vehicle in my honda, but got terrible pump whine??? I did two more changes back to a low viscosity fluid, and the whine went away?

I just figured the pump was meant for LV.

Here is another data point::

I did one drain and refill with Amsoil ATF on the gf’s 07 Accord. This one is a 4-cyl. I did a cooler line exchange 25k ago with DW1, and a drain/refill 10k with DW1. Fluid was clean and shifts were smooth before this service.

After the single drain and refill with Amsoil ATF, the shifts became noticeably firmer and less sloppy compared to before. It definitely does not shift as smoothly as before. I estimate that I am running about 43% Amsoil and 57% DW1.

Thanks for sharing, and that is good to know. I have the same 07 accord. Will stick with Honda fluid....

Edit: it would be interesting to compare Maxlife to Amsoil, in a similar application.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back