Aftermarket belts Infiniti G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
While doing my oil change I noticed the belts on my 2006 G35 have cracks on the underside ribbing.

I've owned the car for 3 years and never changed the belts so they likely have some miles on them. The setup that Nissan/Infiniti uses is 1 belt for all the main accessory components and a separate belt only for the A/C. We've had Nissan products before that were picky with aftermarket belts. Not sure if this is still the case or not. Any recommendations for aftermarket belt or should I just stick with OEM?

Any tips on replacement and tensioning? Looks like there is no spring loaded tensioner and you have to loosen the bolts on the pulley and then lower the tensioner after. The service manual states to use a belt tension device to measure the belt tension.

Well if the OEM Nissan belts have lasted since 2006, you could justify going to dealer and getting another set. Continental, Bando are good choices.

The tensioner is a gamble, some here would say to replace it pro-actively, and the others will say wait until it fails - but its failing might damage those new belts....you see what I'm getting at?

We use Bando belts on these. Never had any issues, and we never replace the tensioners either. Occasionally the bearings wear out on the pulleys, and we resolve this by pressing in new bearings.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
We use Bando belts on these. Never had any issues, and we never replace the tensioners either. Occasionally the bearings wear out on the pulleys, and we resolve this by pressing in new bearings.

How about on an 05 Matrix? Same deal I hope. Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

How about on an 05 Matrix? Same deal I hope. Thank you in advance.

Out of respect for the OP, please start your own thread.

Good to know. Any issues with Gates? That is what the local parts stores stock. I get a bit of a faint and continuous rattle/squeak when cold but it eventually goes away when warm. I'm thinking this is more likely just worn belts but will spin pulleys to see if anything amiss when the belts come off.

I think you could leave the tensioner if it's quiet and not making any noises. I replaced the one on my Liberty with the belt since it's an auto tensioner and I think it was loosing tension a bit.

Originally Posted By: mb32

Good to know. Any issues with Gates? That is what the local parts stores stock. I get a bit of a faint and continuous rattle/squeak when cold but it eventually goes away when warm. I'm thinking this is more likely just worn belts but will spin pulleys to see if anything amiss when the belts come off.

The Gates belts are always a bit on the long side for an application, so we never use them.

Maybe different belt manufacturers are regional to some degree but around here, Gates, Dayco, and AC Delco belts are very common. A Dayco belt for my '08 G35X (no separate AC compressor belt) is $26 from Amazon. An OEM Nissan belt is $39-41. Reality is, automakers source their belts from one of these companies anyway so there's little risk in going either way (OEM or good quality aftermarket).

Went ahead and ordered the Bando belts. They were than half the price of the OEM belt and a bit less than the Gates.

I am hoping the slight chirping I have until the car warms up is only a worn belt and not a bad pulley or tensioner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mb32

The Gates belts are always a bit on the long side for an application, so we never use them.

TRUE! I have seen Gates belts on 3 different occasions (3 different vehicles) that were a little too long for my tastes. Sent them back and even emailed Gates about it - no reply. We use Dayco and Bando mostly and no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back