Best detergent oil for light sludge in Toyota 3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... Just acquired a new to me 2002 Tacoma with the v6 3.4 It has some light sludge and was wondering what current oils are considered best for good detergent - cleaning attributes? Thinking of doing 1-3 short oil change intervals to clean it up a bit before I do a lot of long driving...

10w-30 HDEO is great for cleaning. So is redline, but I doubt you want to do short changes on redline.

Any pics of this light sludge? FYI there is a coating on a baffle in the oil fill hole, that can resemble sludge.

Amsoil has a high detergent level. Look at the UOA/VOA of various oils on here.

Last edited:
The cheapest oil you can find and run for 500-1K miles. Walmart Supertech, that Shell on sale at Home Depot for $10, Chevron Supreme from Costco... doesn't matter.

Last edited:
PP from walmart? Is that penzoil or ? As for the supertech, supertech synthetic or conventional?
Thanks..

Originally Posted By: DPRespecki
Thinking of doing 1-3 short oil change intervals to clean it up a bit before I do a lot of long driving...

This does absolutely nothing. Motor oil is a lubricant, not a cleaning solvent.

Just do regular oil changes with a quality modern oil and don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Thinking of doing 1-3 short oil change intervals to clean it up a bit before I do a lot of long driving...

This does absolutely nothing. Motor oil is a lubricant, not a cleaning solvent.

Just do regular oil changes with a quality modern oil and don't worry about it.

Some oil does have a higher detergent level than others, I am just out of the loop as to the current players..

Through years of reading here, oils with great cleaning reputations:

Dino: Pennzoil (formerly PYB but they're all yellow now)
Syn: M1

In your position with light sludge I'd run either of them for 2-3 runs of 3k then on to your regular plan.

PP from walmart? Is that penzoil or ? As for the supertech, supertech synthetic or conventional?
Thanks..

PP stands for Pennzoil platinum. PUP stands for Pennzoil Ultra platinum.

Mobil 1 is good too. I wouldn't bother with short OCI. Keep it in for your normal OCI.

Make sure to change your PCV valve in that Toyota. My 97 sienna was known for sludge ESP if the PCV wasn't maintained.

How did you confirm sludge was in the motor, did you remove the valve covers?

Last edited:

That's kind of backwards...

Long drives is what will clean that engine up!

Hi... Just acquired a new to me 2002 Tacoma with the v6 3.4 It has some light sludge and was wondering what current oils are considered best for good detergent - cleaning attributes? Thinking of doing 1-3 short oil change intervals to clean it up a bit before I do a lot of long driving...

ANY brand (Super Tech, Delo, Mobile, Valvoline, Rotella, ect) HDEO/Diesel rated oil that cost anywhere from $12 to $20 for a 4 quart jug that also carries the API SM or SN required by your motor would be perfect for what you want.

Actually I am surprised I was the first to mention this, there is no better oil for what you want, not only that, its great oil!

Last edited:
So, I am putting my flame suit on here.... be gentle.

What about a couple of ounces of B12 in the crankcase. Idle for about 10 minutes, then drain.

I thought I read once, that 1 oz per quart of oil might do something...

What does it say on the container?

Conventional HDEO’s like Delvac have a NOACK >/= T6 and are very economical …
(Group II+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back