Redline oil users/ input

I have a '13 e92 M3 and it is admittedly babied.
It has Redline in it, and does not see a lot of miles for periods of time.
I have other DDs, and travel, so go easy on me.
Here's the question. I take it out for hot extended runs only, and the oil probably has a few hundred miles on it and has been in the crankcase for ~18 months. Car is in attached dry garage, and temps don't go below 40f in winter.
since the Redline is not cheap, and I've read comments from Blackstone, and here, that it's NBD to leave it in for extended time, if not a lot of miles on it/nor short cold runs; it should be OK.
what are the thoughts from users of Redline?
thanks

The title could have been "Oil users/input"
grin2.gif

Why?
Redline is (I think) a better performance oil but as far as storage goes, all oils would be the same in your situation. I don't think you get a massive buildup of acids, fuel, etc. that one oil can handle better than other given the low mileage you put on & your driving habits. I'm sure experts may correct me!
shocked2.gif

I would feel very comfortable going 2 years if you are putting 3 or 4K miles total. I know some will say change the oil once a year ... I've gone 2.5 years with dino in a new car due to travel. Oil came out nice amber with about 2700 miles iirc.

Edit:
Forgot to mention the only reason I changed the oil was because it was getting near 3K miles and not because of 2.5 years! You know the old "3K miles with dino" theory!
grin.gif

Last edited:
I have left quality HDEO in seldom run trucks for up to five years. No harm, no foul.

Every time they were run, they got to Op Temp and worked hard. Then back to the barn (ranching).

It's common to do tractor changes strictly by hour meter, years don't count.

If it works for less expensive oils, why not Redline ...

Last edited:
You will be fine. In fact, 3 years at the rate you are going. Those polar esters stick to metal. Perfect for vehicles that aren't driven/started often. Concerning dry starts.

The worse thing people can do is let a vehicle sit without being driven.

Originally Posted by Onetor
You will be fine. In fact, 3 years at the rate you are going. Those polar esters stick to metal. Perfect for vehicles that aren't driven/started often. Concerning dry starts.

The worse thing people can do is let a vehicle sit without being driven.

I can confirm that the coating of oil on the engine parts / internals keeps it quiet on a cold startup even after sitting for weeks—- there must be something to that polarized characteristic.
It starts smooth without issues at all.... and the cold start on an e92 M3 can be raucous!

would do a uoa, the problem would be if you ran out of tbn that could be a heavy cost. Do at least one uoa with tan and tbn at the end of your next interval. I've seen redline so far in a oci, and I've seen it go as short as 4500 miles and be low tbn. Every engine and gas is different. I also do two year intervals and in my truck the tbn is over 3 at that point, so for me personally it is good. But I wouldn't count on that for you w/o verifying.

I just had it changed and captured some for Blackstone/TBN...
Will report back but it has almost 5 years on it and very few miles...
Sick. Looking forward to it, interesting to see. I’ve seen some “low mileage but many years” UOAs and they’ve come back with nothing to fear.
Oils today with all the additives and detergents can take a serious beating.

I’ve talked with Roy at Red Line and he told me he had left the HPMO in one of his vehicles for 5 years -no issue. I think they tell people to change it a little more often than that for liability, but I am speculating...
I am a little more cautious in this particular vehicle - Because it’s an E92 M3, and I’m sure you guys are familiar with the so-called rod bearings issue.
.....but it received Redline at 200 miles, so it has been babied for sure.
I did the oil analysis mainly for a baseline for future OCIs. But I’m going to dispel the discussions and questions about ester oils oxidizing, and the paranoia of leaving oil in a (clean) engine over time versus miles.
Should be interesting— I wouldn’t be surprised if the Blackstone guys say “what the heck are you doing dude! Sending us this oil? You should have left it in there. $$$$” LOL

Last edited:
Very interested in the UOA too. Some here will have concerns about the esters in combination with moisture turning acidic. I'm not one of them but yours would be a perfect case study.

Back