Looking at a '96 Grand Prix (GM W-body)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
wabbout the last of the Rivieras?

Those are some of my favorite cars of all time. The Buick Riviera and Oldsmobile Toronado:

I'm not crazy about the Buick Riviera, nor the Buick Park Avenue Ultra, though I've thought about both given the L67 3.8 S/C. Give me about 20 years and a lot more grey hair, I might change my mind. I love the Olds 88 LSS, I wouldn't mind that a bit, but finding one is near impossible in decent condition.

Brings back memories of driving my great aunt/uncle around in their very early 90's Buick Riviera, the older body style. I had my learners permit then (1998?), I thought the digital gauges were the coolest thing ever. That was truly a nice car, it sat in their vacation home in Phoenix hardly ever being used, think it had 11k on the odometer.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Those are some of my favorite cars of all time. The Buick Riviera and Oldsmobile Toronado:

I thought this was a cool find when I stumbled upon it..

https://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-oldsmobile-toronado/6553787415.html

I had that exact same car (1987 Toronado Trofeo FE-3) except it was a gunmetal gray with charcoal leather interior. I loved that car!! I sold it with around 350,000 miles. It was indestructible. The 3800 Series I engine was incredible.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I thought this was a cool find when I stumbled upon it..

https://bgky.craigslist.org/cto/d/1987-oldsmobile-toronado/6553787415.html

That is pretty cool, too bad it doesn't have the touchscreen.

As far as the OP, if the body is solid I'd consider it. These cars are getting pretty rare and if you're okay with wrenching parts are cheap, easy to come by and you can easily repair anything down to the head gaskets. The 3.1 has a really good sound to it and always held up well.

Well I took the plunge and bought the Grand Prix. I went for a second look, spent about 45 minutes taking notes; lock, stock and barrel. Called my wife-- bad idea (but perhaps not) because she's been against it the whole time. She's just not a car person until hers needs fixed, then she loves me for being a car guy. She said bad idea, I took that advice and went to tell the guy no thanks at $1400. I politely asked him that if they have a hard time selling it or if it sat on the lot too long, to give me a call. I thought that would be the end of it, but he said what can you give me for it? 1200 max. Much to my surprise he says okay, and then asks ME if I want them to include tax, title, etc. I was prepared to pay that separately but since he offered, SURE!

My wife is still not happy about it, and perhaps I didn't get the deal of a century, but I could have done a lot worse. The car made the 25 mile drive home with zero problems-- in fact it rode very comfortable (maybe I don't need shocks/struts after all), good brakes (ABS wasn't acting up) and the transmission shifts smooth as butter. The power is great from 1500-3000 rpm, its a dud after that but I expected that from an old-school OHV 3100. Someone must have pulled the thermostat, because it never got to operating temp the whole drive. When it sat in my driveway idling for 10-20 minutes, it started to creep in to overheat territory, so I shut it down. I fear a bad head gasket(s) because there's some bubbling in the coolant overflow and the coolant looks brown and smells like blow-by. However the car is super clean, needs a lot of work and I'm okay with that.

Here's the original craigslist ad (not sure how long it will stay up):
https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-pontiac-grand-prix-gt/6537424488.html

They took the photos in evening for a reason, there are some imperfections here and there and a small rust spot. But a pretty darn good example of a 22 year old Grand Prix nonetheless.

Those seats look incredibly comfortable, oh my god.

Looks like a nice car. It does sound like a bad head gasket though.

Here's the original craigslist ad (not sure how long it will stay up):
https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-pontiac-grand-prix-gt/6537424488.html

They took the photos in evening for a reason, there are some imperfections here and there and a small rust spot. But a pretty darn good example of a 22 year old Grand Prix nonetheless.

That's a sharp looking car, for $1200 otd I'd say you did well.

My old boss had a Lumina in his family with that same powertrain(I think the Lumina is also a W-Body). Quirky ABS system and I did warn him about the IMGs on those, they are as bad as the Vortec engines of that era to go out. As with the 1996-2000 4.3/5.7 Vortecs, the updated Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus or OE ones will fix this problem for good and once that's done, no need to fear Dex-Cool/Dex-Clone.

I only done the brakes on it and tried to flush the system. Last I've heard, his sister-in-law is still driving it.

For the ABS system on that, it's possible to bleed the brakes without a Tech II or a GM specific bi-directional tool. It involves starting the car and listening for the modulator to cycle. Once you hear it cycle carefully drive the car without triggering the ABS system. You want the system to cycle the pistons into "home" position during its self-check. I had to abort since my Motive bleeder was leaking.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/abs-blee...the-first-time/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back