Grinding noise after emergency stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

Was out in the Acura in signature this morning to get some groceries at the grocery store. Some young kid pulled out right in front of me while I was doing about 45 mph and had to jam on the brakes as hard I ever did before. Now I hear a grinding noise which sounds like its coming from the back right tire when I apply the brakes. I looked underneath the car and see no damage to the underneath or tires? What would be causing this grinding noise all of a sudden after SEVERE braking?

Dale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Hello everybody,

I looked underneath the car and see no damage to the underneath or tires? What would be causing this grinding noise all of a sudden after SEVERE braking?

Dale

The easy answer is "the brakes". you need to remove the wheel and inspect.

how old are the brakes.. maybe a pad or shoe fell apart.

How old are the rear brakes? Perhaps some rust flecks let loose and are grinding b/w the pads & rotors.

Yes it is possible for the friction material to come off of a brake pad or shoe so now you have metal on metal contact.

Need to remove the wheel and inspect the brakes.

Last edited:
I had both front pads delaminate under ONE hard braking occurance. Both fronts at 27K miles.

Look at both side of the disc looking for gouging. Gat a flashlight at dusk, You should be able to do this WITHOUT taking the wheel off. Maybe bring an old seat cushion out to the driveway for those trick knees.

Hondas are notorious for chewing up rear pads FAST. TCS speed this process way up too.

As others mentioned, make sure your pad didn't come loose, you'll quickly tear up your rotors. I had a car make grinding noises after a hard stop; turned out my rear calipers had gotten stuck and braking hard got them unstuck. The rotors were badly pitted from corrosion because they hadn't been working for a while, and they were no good.

Could be the wear indicators. Maybe the pads were already on the verge of needing replaced and that panic stop pushed them past that point.

Wonder if the park brake was sticking? Backed out of driveway this morning & no noise any longer!!!
smile.gif

Last edited:
You really should inspect rather than wonder.

The wondering part is for people like us who aren't able to actually look at your car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back