Tires That Last Forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BJD78
Never confuse skepticism for common sense.

I never do.

Skepticism requires evidence and often involves some thought. (Well at least scepticism does. I imagine they'd be similar.)

"Common sense"?

Not so much.

Last edited:
Nah I just don't buy it... so I won't try it.
I use 303 for the interior but that's about it for vehicles.
I've seen another vid using 303 on belts - they soaked the belts in a coffee can for awhile before install.

Why don't the fella just roll on some Rhino Liner to re-tread the tires, or buy tires.

The fella owning the car seems to want to take great care of his car, then buys Arizonian tires which is DT in house tires by cooper. Now it's Arizonian Silver Edition III. I've ran em on a late 90s Camry for my son for temps while he was shopping for a new car. Ended giving the car to a grand daughter and can't complain the miles/wear for the tires.
Well last week she visited and I did some maintenance work on the car to include buying her new tires (Defenders, as the only other set DT had in size was Barums) when I could have whipped out the 303 and send her off for another year
eek.gif

I almost have an itch to 303 the BBQ wheels now, but I'll have to do the half worn boots soles to get me there, then the plastic worms for bass fishing.
grin.gif

Last edited:
honestly new tires are cheaper than buying that much 303 lol.
(not that it works)

I knew more than afew people who sprayed products like 303, and armor all on their plastic dash and then a few weeks later their dash would crack and it would do the same with the vinyl seats.Seemed that cars that did not use the stuff never suffered that problem. It makes stuff shiny and attract dust and that is about it.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Interesting. Think I heard of a winter-time snow/ice traction enhancer that basically mixed fine sand with rubber to paint on tread just for those times when you have the car in the garage and are about to drive out on icey roads that day.

This probably isn't the product you are thinking of, but CR looked at a spray called Tyre Grip (funny that I also just posted a thread about Vogue Tyres) that was supposed to improve winter traction and they were not impressed. CR claimed that any small traction benefit was gone after about a mile of driving, which makes sense to me.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/helping-tires-get-a-grip/index.htm

I was thinking about buying tire socks for my wife when she kept insisting on taking her FWD Avalon to work during snowstorms and would then get stuck trying to climb the hill back to our neighborhood, but then we got our daughter an Impreza and my wife would take it on snowy days since my daughter's school would be cancelled then.

I have seen that video and had a slight chuckle.

A bit like the youtube videos for motorbike tyres that deny that there is release agent on new motorbike tyres.

Well apart from Continental and their Traction Skin Technology which does away with release agent.

I have been using 303 for many years. IMO it is the only rubber/vinyl/leather protectant that REALLY works. When I first started using it I was looking for something to put on the dash to protect it that worked and didn't leave it dangerously shiny. A boat owner friend suggested 303. Back then you could only find it at boat and aircraft stores. I found out that boat and airplane owners who used it swore by it. The hot sun down here in Texas is a big problem. Since I have been using it on my dashes and tops of the door panels I have not had any cracks in them. I typically purchase Michelin tires and they are particularly prone to sidewall cracking relatively early in their lives, so I also use 303 on the sidewalls of my tires to prevent dry rot and cracking, and I can confirm that it definitely works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BJD78
The notion that some spray on product is going to extend treadwear is beyond laughable.
Not really. Plasticizers do indeed increase flexibility, a well known fact. With that increased conditioning or flexibility, do we get less brittleness? Yes.
Brittleness means more tiny chunks break off, so plasticizers would seem to cause the rubber to stretch without breaking more. That all makes sense.

This would be a great experiment for MolaKule's students!!!
--- Lab experiment where a roller with tread is used. And certainly look at strain energy (elongation) and ultimate tensile strength differences between plasticized and non-plasticized older rubber.

This whole thing would require proof. Lab, real world examples, you know.
If the OP's Arizonian example is true, that it really has that many miles, then there is some evidence there. Why would the OP lie? He doesn't sell the stuff.

If we assume for a minute that this product works to make tires softer, doesn't a softer tire have more grip, but wears out quicker?

So using my BITOG logic the product should actually make tires wear out quicker.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Tires that last forever don't really handle that good

Old wives tales you're repeating.
A similar subject keeps coming up like this one: "Low rolling resistance (LRR) tires can't have good friction.", another thing said with absolutely no proof of the technological limitations. On the LRR subject, I pointed out before that there is no real linkage between LRR low-hysteresis physics and surface friction. IOTW, you can have high friction and LRR low-hysteresis rubber at the same time. One doesn't negate the other. We're actually seeing this with some new rubber compounds tire makers have.

Here, just because a plasticizer (303, etc.) increases rubber flexibility and possibly tensile strength, that doesn't mean friction is reduced.
It might be, we just need to test it in a real engineering lab or field test.

Don't jump to conclusions with no basis.

Here, just because a plasticizer (303, etc.) increases rubber flexibility and possibly tensile strength, that doesn't mean friction is reduced.

There is two assumptions there:
1) The product is actually absorbed deep into the tire and doesn't just stay on the surface.
2) The product actually works like a plasticizer once it's absorbed.

There was an discussion about 303 on BITOG a few years ago. It seems like the consensus was that it's just an overpriced tire shine.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3421640/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
There is two assumptions there: 1) The product is actually absorbed deep into the tire and doesn't just stay on the surface. 2) The product actually works like a plasticizer once it's absorbed.
1) It doesn't have to be absorbed deep when applied every 3 weeks like the video said. ... and ..2) Plasticizers are old proven chemical tech, so yes its a plasticizer.

Like I said, the claims really need some good solid testing. The guy in the vid seems to have no reason to lie other than to get attention for himself or get more video hits, all possible, yet not likely.

We engineers are only skeptical when some idea or assertion violates "first principles", we call it. That means logic and reason within known limitations of science are applied to any claim. This claim in particular doesn't seem to violate any known physical limitation of polymer science.

An explanation of first-principle science-engineering reasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHyu8Jt226M

The guy in the vid seems to have no reason to lie other than to get attention for himself or get more video hits, all possible, yet not likely.

lol

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Tires that last forever don't really handle that good

Old wives tales you're repeating.
A similar subject keeps coming up like this one: "Low rolling resistance (LRR) tires can't have good friction.", another thing said with absolutely no proof of the technological limitations. On the LRR subject, I pointed out before that there is no real linkage between LRR low-hysteresis physics and surface friction. IOTW, you can have high friction and LRR low-hysteresis rubber at the same time. One doesn't negate the other. We're actually seeing this with some new rubber compounds tire makers have.

It might be, we just need to test it in a real engineering lab or field test.

Don't jump to conclusions with no basis.

Ah ..... Mmmmmmm ...... Not exactly.

First let's start with IANARC (I am not a rubber chemist!), but I play one on TV .... No, that's not right. I'm still not a rubber chemist, but I've worked alongside some of the better ones and have picked up a few things.

One of the things I picked up was that there is a 3 way relationship between rolling resistance, traction (especially wet traction!), and tread wear. You can't get better values for one without sacrificing one or both of the others.

Having said that, every so often the rubber chemists will come up with an improvement that changes the basic relationship a bit. The operative word here is a bit. But the 3 way relationship still applies - albeit at a different level.

So tires with very low rolling resistance values have poor traction and/or wear properties. That's why OE tires (the ones that come on new cars from the factory) wear out so fast or have wet traction issues.

Plus the term LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) is a bit of a misnomer in that it means lower rolling resistance compared to other tires with similar wear and traction properties. This is where you see the effects of the rubber chemists' improvements.

So while it isn't exactly correct to say LRR tires have poor traction, it isn't exactly wrong either.

And to expand on this - I used to use a traction compound on my race tires. I think it was called Formula V (Looked it up and that's what it was!) I recall something called VHT that was supposed to be similar - BUT - my memory might be faulty here as those were among the words used to describe that traction compound being used at the latest NASCAR race at Bristol.

At any rate, I am not sure what Formula V was (is!), but I suspect it's a solvent laced with resin and rubber compatible oils that soften the rubber and add some grip. What it did for my old, dried out race tires was rejuvenate them to the point where they were usable again. I suspect this would work on street tires, too!

- BUT -

Formula V is completely different than 303 protectant. The only part where the video makes any sense is where the protectant extends the point where the rubber cracks due to age. I very much doubt that some spray on product would increase treadwear without sacrificing something else (and I suspect it would be traction, especially wet traction). If something did work as described, I am sure the folks that make 303 (or some entrepreneur!) would market it as such.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
One of the things I picked up was that there is a 3 way relationship between rolling resistance, traction (especially wet traction!), and tread wear. You can't get better values for one without sacrificing one or both of the others. Having said that, every so often the rubber chemists will come up with an improvement that changes the basic relationship a bit.
Again, you're not talking about anything fundamental from 1st Principles. You're talking about observed correlations seen in the past.

That Elon Musk video really does explain how its sometimes useful to reason from the basics upward if you're trying to invent or improve something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3sBlRgzTI

Getting back to the thread topic (not LRR per se):

This is a good place to start to begin to understand the tire-road interface:
https://www.brachengineering.com/content/publications/Wheel-Slip-Model-2006-Brach-Engineering.pdf

What I'm looking for is the physically necessary condition that tires MUST give up mass when they generate friction.
If you can find a materials science based reason that tires must release tiny chunks every time road friction is created, then you can debunk the original OP video's claims.

Could be useful to understand why locked-up tires generate less friction than non-slipping tires or partially slipping tires.
I think it's because the flexing (without breaking pieces off) of rubber on the road creates plenty of adhesion, while locked-up tires are shearing off mass with less friction.

What I'm looking for is the physically necessary condition that tires MUST give up mass when they generate friction.
If you can find a materials science based reason that tires must release tiny chunks every time road friction is created, then you can debunk the original OP video's claims.

Could be useful to understand why locked-up tires generate less friction than non-slipping tires or partially slipping tires.
I think it's because the flexing (without breaking pieces off) of rubber on the road creates plenty of adhesion, while locked-up tires are shearing off mass with less friction.

Yes, in the purest sense.

Static friction = no material being lost

Kinetic friction = material is being lost

Of course locked up tires have less friction that spinning tires due to the whole static friction vs. kinetic friction phenomenon.

But then why do your tires wear out?

It's because only when a car is parked will you have static friction where no material is being lost.

When you look at rotating tire as a whole you could say it is in static friction, but if you look at a tiny section of the tire there is kinetic friction at the microscopic level. When the tire makes contact with the road there is microscopic movement between the tire surface and the road as the tire meets and conforms to the road. So there is kinetic friction and tire wear.

When you drive over a small rock the tire deforms around that rock. There is kinetic friction between the rock and the part of the tire where the rock is impacting. Now imagine the road is a bunch of tiny little rocks.

I agree with the other posters that you can't get best RR, grip, and treadwear. If that was the case we would only have one type of tire.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Formula V is completely different than 303 protectant. The only part where the video makes any sense is where the protectant extends the point where the rubber cracks due to age. I very much doubt that some spray on product would increase treadwear without sacrificing something else (and I suspect it would be traction, especially wet traction). If something did work as described, I am sure the folks that make 303 (or some entrepreneur!) would market it as such.

I agree that's the only part of the 303 video that makes sense.

The markers of Armor All tire shine, which uses the same chemistry as 303, specifically tell you not to spray it on the tread. Is it because it reduces traction or they don't want the secret out and your tires to last forever? lol

Last edited:
It may make the sidewalls shiny and block some UV rays that might delay dry rot and cracking on the sidewalls, but the tread is going to eventually wear away to the wearbars and then it will be time for new tires. Tire makers generally advise replacing tires once they are 6-7 years old from the production date. Many videos about 303 on You Tube where they put it on belts hoses, tires and almost everything but their morning coffee. Funny videos , sounds like the guy is hawking 100% virgin grass fed snake oil. Keep tires inflated to proper pressure and rotate them will provide maximum tire life from the production date, not some magic juice in a spray can.

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
Where is Capri racer when you need him?
(He designs tires)He definitely had an in depth page on everything tire related that is for sure. Someone posted his website a few months back on a thread and I read a good deal of it. Wish I could recall the thread.

Will this 303 help my tread ?
[img:left]https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10...mp;__tn__=EHH-R[/img]
LOL!! Looks like that might be too big of a job even for the mighty 303, but 303 can be sprayed on a plastic Visa/Mastercard and it will make the bankcard last for many, many years as one buys new replacement tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back