Chevy Malibu Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Anyone have a new one or late model one?
Yes, someone does.
{Oh come on, that was funneeee....}

I don't have experience with them nor do I see many of them around. The 1st iteration was a mild hybrid with proprietary 42V battery packs and a combo starter/alternator. The 2nd generation uses the Volt's drivetrain.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Anyone have a new one or late model one?
Yes, someone does.
{Oh come on, that was funneeee....}

"Cough"

Originally Posted By: nthach
I don't have experience with them nor do I see many of them around. The 1st iteration was a mild hybrid with proprietary 42V battery packs and a combo starter/alternator. The 2nd generation uses the Volt's drivetrain.

Thanks- I have seen several 18's on the lots here- prices are good and never really looked at them.
No, I don't see many on the road either..

Fuelly.com is a great source for MPG info:
41 MPG in mixed driving, averaged over 380,000 miles, a good sample with over 28 vehicles so far. Convergence.

Compared to the competitor current Ford Fusion Hybrid which gets 41 MPG (same) averaged over many miles, many users.

I'd pick the Fusion Hybrid since it does it with no clutches, unlike the Malibu's voltec system.
Also the Fusion is a durable evolution from the days of NYC taxi-cabs using the same basic system since 2005.

Also the Fusion is a durable evolution from the days of NYC taxi-cabs using the same basic system since 2005.

You can thank Toyota for the Fusion/Escape Hybrids, it's based off the Prius design which dates back to 1997.

But now NYC wants to see the Nissan NV200 "Cab of the Future" take over the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn, but if San Francisco is any indication Uber/Lyft is giving cabbies a run for their money.

Last edited:

You can thank Toyota for the Fusion/Escape Hybrids, it's based off the Prius design which dates back to 1997.
... and Toyota can thank TRW (U.S.A) for the original idea from back in the 1970's.... Actually the Chevy Malibu Voltec is also Prius-like (planetary gearset), also like the Pacifica Hybrid, Ford C-Max, Ford Fusion, all using a similar layout because it works very well.

They aren't all the same in some ways. The Malibu uses 3 clutches, 3 too many if you ask me, since I see my '15 C-Max equal its MPG on Fuelly.com using NO clutches, same as what the Ford Fusion Hybrid has now.

Slide31.jpg

But now NYC wants to see the Nissan NV200 "Cab of the Future" take over the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn, but if San Francisco is any indication Uber/Lyft is giving cabbies a run for their money.
Yes, Uber and Lyft seem to be getting around a lot of the taxi regulations. All they have to do is put a Toyota Synergy Drive in the Nissan NV200 (like the current Nissan Rogue Hybrid on the roads now). Currently the NV200 is not hybrid.
Also, if you ever watch CNN or FoxNews, and they are on NYC streets interviewing someone or near a window there, you actually see a few Ford C-Maxes and older-version Ford Escape Hybrids still running about. Saw this just yesterday.
I might grab some live video of NYC streets from a webcam feed, and I'll bet you can recognize Escape/C-Max hybrids big-time.

Last edited:

All they have to do is put a Toyota Synergy Drive in the Nissan NV200 (like the current Nissan Rogue Hybrid on the roads now). Currently the NV200 is not hybrid.

A friend of mine was in Manhattan and she posted pics of the area around Trump Tower and I think I saw a C-Max or two. I won't go into why she was in that area.

You're not that far off, Toyota recently announced their replacement for the Crown Comfort. It's a hybrid and the Crown Comfort was to them like the Crown Vic was to Ford - a cheap, rugged car and cabbies in Japan as well as Hong Kong used them. Interestingly enough, it uses natural gas.

https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/19173376

The Malibu Hybrid is good, to be sure, yet I do like the simpler hybrid approach the current Honda Accord Hybrid has (sans any planetary gearsets!!), and fuelly.com reports 42 MPG fleet average for the Honda, 1 more MPG than Malibus and Fusions.

Toyota is using clutches in the Lexus versions of THS II(Hybrid Synergy Drive) as well. The clutches aren't part of the power-split device but for the final drive.

The new multi-stage system on the new LS/RC also incorporates a 4-speed automatic as well.

All they have to do is put a Toyota Synergy Drive in the Nissan NV200 (like the current Nissan Rogue Hybrid on the roads now).

Correction: I was thinking of the current Nissan Altima that really borrows the Toyota Synergy Drive directly and blatantly.
The Rogue Hybrid takes an approach I think is similar to Hyundai-Kia where they couple a motor and IC-engine to a normal automatic transmission or dual-clutch automated manual, an approach I think isn't optimal or elegant really. Carrying around unreliable old-style transmissions in hybrids is just stupid.

Honda Accord is best for optimality, with zero-clutch Prius-like systmes coming in a close second, and then the Malibu Voltec is ranked next.

I have both a Fusion hybrid and a C-max
Looking for more seating room- ford likes to put you in a tight cubicle- other than that they are
stellar- the C-Max does highway duty averaging 47-48 mpg weekly on rural roads and only maybe 10% small town use
I have a 19 mile trip I take- mostly downhill and speeds only of 40-50 mpg- I can get 72-86 mpg over the 19 miles
On the way back ( up hill its 43-48 mpg- still great

A friend of mine was in Manhattan and she posted pics of the area around Trump Tower and I think I saw a C-Max or two. I won't go into why she was in that area.
https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsrobo3
is a webcam that reveals a lot of PriusV's, Camry Hybrids, NV200's, and oddly I didn't see a C-Max yet. A few old Ford Escapes, not made for 6 years now, so they keep rollin', amazinng durability, with replacement parts still easy to get.

I have both a Fusion hybrid and a C-max ...Looking for more seating room-
Honda Accord Hybrid or Camry Hybrid are both slightly better than a Malibu Hybrid in my opinion. Can't go wrong with the Malibu, yet Accord/Camry are better.. RAV4 next thing to look into maybe.

Last edited:
I had an Accord and Insight- I've had over a dozen Hondas and moved on.
Build quality and paint has went down and Honda has never learned how to handle US roads or
noise isolation. My 2013 Accord was rough and tumble and just bad QC- In two years the alloys peeled along with the paint
and I'm a.nal about upkeep.. Might look at a Yota
smile.gif

a look on malibu forums will show quite a few UNHAPPY owners, 1.5T's are having major issues + wheel bearings dont last for many!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
a look on malibu forums will show quite a few UNHAPPY owners, 1.5T's are having major issues + wheel bearings dont last for many!!!

Seems all 1.5T's are suspect
smile.gif
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back