Where to keep passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
A recent thread about commercial grade PC protection (that I didn't understand a bit of...) mentioned strong passwords with 16 characters including caps, numbers, and punctuation. So where do you keep your passwords? I remember the most used ones up to 8 characters but obviously not something like that. Sorry to admit I have a mini-rolodex that I keep in a drawer and hide when we go away. If you keep your PWs on a device isn't that a risk?

I use lastpass, there are many other free options.

FWIW the main thing is to use a different password everywhere.. and not a dictionary word.

so 1zebra#45 is fine

my passwords all look similar to
06IsTE!2GCVte
except the one I remember for lastpass which is similar but easier to remember.

Some sites wont accept certain symbols in the password.

I just ran through your email client and your folders etc. and I don't see any passwords.
I think you're doing good as is. Don't change anything.
Those dog pictures were pretty cool- thanks
eek.gif

If you read some of the latest thoughts surrounding passwords and security, the old adage of upper/lower case, numbers, and symbols has been replaced with easy to remember passphrases which are not easy to crack such as "2BulldozersCan'tSwim".

With that said, there are several tools which are used for password management which are encrypted at rest and are secure such as Roboform, Keeper, Dashlane, Stick Password, to name a few.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I just ran through your email client and your folders etc. and I don't see any passwords.
eek.gif

What exactly do you mean by this? You get into my email and folders on my PC?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
eek.gif

What exactly do you mean by this? You get into my email and folders on my PC?

PM sent!

I keep 3-5 really hard passwords in my head and I recycle them throughout all my accounts.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I keep 3-5 really hard passwords in my head and I recycle them throughout all my accounts.

I used to do that.. but what happens is a site gets hacked and you have to change a bunch of passwords..

for example, curse (gaming updater platform used to install mods) was hacked.. they got my low security password I used on 3-4 forums at the time.

my banking passwords were all unique...

bitog for 15 years received passwords in plain text. (not even https)

got fed up with the whole passwords wrote down in a notebook thing

moved to lastpass.

Dont even get me started on the whole yahoo mail hack.

I knew for over a year they had some kind of backdoor in.. due to friends and family constantly being hacked.
with secure passwords.

Originally Posted By: Rand

FWIW the main thing is to use a different password everywhere.. and not a dictionary word.

so 1zebra#45 is fine

06IsTE!2GCVte

+1 for LASTPASS

I use the paid version. My wife and I can remember one Master password and have access to all of the important sites, such as for finances, medical, etc. We keep our email passwords out, but everything else is there. Each site has a very complex password, generated by LASTPASS.

She never would, but I really don’t mind if she knows my BITOG password. Besides, she can sign on and tell you guys when I kick the bucket. She’ll divvy up my stash based on who has been nicest to me
13.gif

I use LastPass for all my passwords and it shares them between windows PC and android. Its pretty good but not perfect. I use its dual factor with a Yubico. Basically it will only with with my PC or phone unless you have the Yubico which stays at my home desk.

You can also print and leave with your will, one time codes for LastPass.

It can get mixed up when for example two store credit cards are managed by the same bank.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Rand

so 1zebra#45 is fine

06IsTE!2GCVte

+1 for LASTPASS

I use the paid version. My wife and I can remember one Master password and have access to all of the important sites, such as for finances, medical, etc. We keep our email passwords out, but everything else is there. Each site has a very complex password, generated by LASTPASS.

She never would, but I really don’t mind if she knows my BITOG password. Besides, she can sign on and tell you guys when I kick the bucket. She’ll divvy up my stash based on who has been nicest to me
13.gif

How old are you and what kind of stash do you have? Is your health rapidly declining? I need some 0W20 for an upcoming oil change.

Haha, I’m only in my 30s. I’ve been in a bad spot, but things are looking up.

Besides, and don’t let anyone else know, but my stash is only like 6-8 gal. I do have 3 5-quart jugs of Edge 0W-20, though.

Your have a gun safe? You write them down and put them in the safe. There is always a chance with a program you use to do it being hacked!
Just don't forget your combo or share it.

Last edited:
I use LastPass but only because I need to co-ordinate my logins and other passwords across browsers and OS's' otherwise I'd just let the browser handle them. (In Chrome I believe that information is encrypted with your Google login credentials; Firefox stores them unencrypted unless and until you set a passphrase or "Master Password".)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back