Bought our first new couch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my first house about 8 months ago. My then fiancee and I bought an inexpensive couch off of someone with intent to have it for a couple years before upgrading. Well that lasted less than a year. The cushions are always moving around and the back cushions are lumpy and a bit mis-shapen so I went by La-Z-Boy tonight after work and purchased a new, top grain chocolate leather Hazel Premier sofa. Can't wait to have it delivered!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I purchased my first house about 8 months ago. My then fiancee and I bought an inexpensive couch off of someone with intent to have it for a couple years before upgrading. Well that lasted less than a year. The cushions are always moving around and the back cushions are lumpy and a bit mis-shapen so I went by La-Z-Boy tonight after work and purchased a new, top grain chocolate leather Hazel Premier sofa. Can't wait to have it delivered!

VERY NICE!
When I lived in FL. and was married, the wife and I furnished our house with furniture from ROOMS TO GO. Very affordable furniture, not as expensive as LAZY-BOY, but worthy.
After my divorce, and I started making REAL money, I bought a few pieces of furniture from ETHAN ALLEN. They sold my favorite type of wood furniture; CHERRY.
The furniture I currently have in my apt. came from GOODWILL and THE SALVATION ARMY.
gregk24, you and your newly married wife enjoy that very nice and comfortable couch! When you two decide if you're going to have children, check out RTG. I see you're in FL. RTG are all over FL.

Make sure you vacuum, clean and condition regularly as my parents let their leather couch go and they tend to fall apart.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

VERY NICE!
When I lived in FL. and was married, the wife and I furnished our house with furniture from ROOMS TO GO. Very affordable furniture, not as expensive as LAZY-BOY, but worthy.
After my divorce, and I started making REAL money, I bought a few pieces of furniture from ETHAN ALLEN. They sold my favorite type of wood furniture; CHERRY.
The furniture I currently have in my apt. came from GOODWILL and THE SALVATION ARMY.
gregk24, you and your newly married wife enjoy that very nice and comfortable couch! When you two decide if you're going to have children, check out RTG. I see you're in FL. RTG are all over FL.

We did look at RTG, I know they are more affordable but we were concerned about long term durability. My parents have always had La-Z-Boy products and they have held up well, though they have never had any leather pieces. Glad to hear your RTG items held up well.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
Make sure you vacuum, clean and condition regularly as my parents let their leather couch go and they tend to fall apart.

Will do! This thing cost a pretty penny so we plan to take good care of it. Need to do some more research on what products to use. It is top grain leather and has some sort of coating on top.

Congrats!

Keep the leather soft and pliable, and it will hold to children abuse:
-puke
-poke
-pinch
-jumping
-a LOT more jumping
-pirate ship
-cartwheeling
-various crayons
-oops, they found the permanent markers....

We got ours from a garage sale (pretty shot after 5 years), and 2 mismatched pieces from an outlet (some scratches and cracks but pretty good for 8 years).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Will do! This thing cost a pretty penny so we plan to take good care of it. Need to do some more research on what products to use. It is top grain leather and has some sort of coating on top.

in a pinch a slightly wet towel followed by a dry towel will do.
long term, i would not use ^^^, since it can actually dry the leather...
Don't they provide you with a sample bottle of leather conditioner when you bought it?

I like the clean, modern design of that sofa!
We have had the same leather sectional in our family room for nearly 20 years and it's really showing its age...we got a couple of cats about 10 years ago and they have been hard on it. I wanted to declaw the cats when we got them, but my wife got all weepy and said that it was a cruel thing to do and she would keep their claws trimmed at all times. Of course she didn't keep up with the trimming and the cats have always spent time with us on the sectional, so it looks terrible now...pretty sure some of the support belts are sagging badly or have broken at this point, too.
The wife and I spent a long time picking out a replacement, decided to go with cloth this time on a bigger unit that will have two full arms and a chaise. We were about to order it when one of the cats started having a health issue that resulted in her leaving messes around the house...guess we won't buy anything until that is resolved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
With a new couch I saw my toddler daughter blow bubbles out of her nose. So if you have kids, the first new couch will not be your last new couch.

You know, many people have said this to me. "Don't buy nice furniture until the kids are grown". But we were always taught to take care of our things. My parents have had the same La-Z-Boy furniture since we were kids and it has held up very well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
One part Woolite to 6 parts distilled water will be a gentle yet effective cleaner.

I use this on my coated leather in the Honda, but I read that this top grain leather used on the sofa is more breathable and that using water should be avoided due to the potential it may dry it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back