New Ford 1.5 Liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Motor Trend, Ford will be replacing its 4 cylinder 1.5 liter TGDI engine with a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder TGDI. It will also have cylinder deactivation, enabling it to run on 2 cylinders under some conditions. First use is expected in the 2019 Focus and then likely to the Escape and Fusion (or its successor).

Ford’s 1.0 liter 3 cylinder seems to get good reviews, but upping the displacement and adding cylinder deactivation leaves a little room for skepticism. If you’re Ford shopping you may want to get busy...

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is this the new Focus that is made in China?
Mine was made in Michigan (Wayne plant) 2016 model.
That plant is now closed, or maybe 1 month away, for re-tooling for Ranger pickup trucks.
North American Focuses will all come from China (oh great....).
The Focus is made in a lot of countries. Vietnam, Thailand, Russia, Portugal, Germany, Argentina too. I think it's a first for China to get in on the world-wide Focus factory system. Wow, that's a true World Car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
How do you like your Focus?
Love it. Mine is all-electric, as in Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV). I've heard you need to avoid the "automated manual" dual-clutch automatic transmission ("PowerShift" is the one to avoid) versions because of all the very nasty performance and reliability problems. Famous for transmission problems. I think the 1.0L 3-cylinder Focuses have the GOOD automatic transmission, not the problem prone PowerShift. Most others have the dual-clutch automatic, so be careful to check if you get one.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture...ershift-owners/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/previo...-with-automatic
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus

Mine handles very well, steers with great feel, has a decent ride, is very tight, stiff, and quiet. Absolutely love it. Good styling. ... The gas-engine Focus has about the same chassis as mine, with the excellent Control Blade rear suspension and other parts getting the credit for its chassis dynamics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
http://fordauthority.com/2018/04/ford-is...tion-to-the-us/

Vibration. I'd like to see how the current 1.0L 3-cylinder feels at idle, for example. Put your hand on the top of the engine, then check the vibration that makes it's way to the steering wheel.

I have a 2015 Focus 1.0 with 49,000 miles that I bought new. Car interior is very smooth at idle. Engine is very smooth and quiet overall. Last summer I rented a 2016 Corolla and was surprised how coarse and buzzy that engine was. Ford’s 1.0 is far more refined.

Car has been flawless by the way. Smooth, quiet, efficient, reliable and a great driving car (unlike that Corolla - wow that’s a bad chassis set-up). . The Getrag 6-speed manual is excellent. I’d buy another Ford EcoBoost 3 in a heartbeat.

Rumors are the new Focus ST will have a 275 HP 1.5 3-cylinder. But other outlets claim it’ll be a 1.5 liter 4-cylinder.

Last edited:
Ford seems to have "perfected" the 3 cylinder with 1.0L engine.. moving to a 1.5L 3 cylinder is still only .5liter cylinders.. doesnt seem too excessive they have 1.5,1.6 and 2L 4 cylinder turbo engines right now?

I might not like buying the first model year with it.. but It doesnt seem too ridiculous from a power density or cylinder size standpoint.

The 1.0L with MT was on my list of vehicles to test drive.

Seems like the 2019 will have an 8speed conventional auto.. they are dropping the powershi*ft

Originally Posted By: Rand
Seems like the 2019 will have an 8speed conventional auto.. they are dropping the powershi*ft

Yes, the PowerShift sold a lot of Civics, Corollas, Cruzes, and Elantras....
crackmeup2.gif

I guess the real test is how much vibration will get to the steering wheel when the cylinder deactivation goes to two-cylinder operation.
Also, and harder to measure, is how much punishment all the underhood parts get when something is vibrating like a Harley Hog over many miles. Durability.

I wonder if Ford is buying these from Aisin, AFAIK there is a 10-speed FWD automatic in the works with GM as well.

I drove a Zipcar Focus with the Powershift, it was even more jerky than a Honda automatic. For being a design licensed from Getrag, I expected more. VW has the DSG game down to an art.

Last edited:
I've driven the 1.0T EcoSport and it was a gem. Smooth, nice acceleration and not thrashy at all.

Originally Posted By: nthach

I wonder if Ford is buying these from Aisin, AFAIK there is a 10-speed FWD automatic in the works with GM as well.

I drove a Zipcar Focus with the Powershift, it was even more jerky than a Honda automatic. For being a design licensed from Getrag, I expected more. VW has the DSG game down to an art.

Ford = dry clutch DCT. VW (and Acura) = wet clutch DCT. Makes all the difference.

Last edited:
The Germans have determined that engines with 500cc cylinders with a specific bore/stroke ratio have the highest inherent efficiencies... so as we all chase the last nth degree of fuel efficiency, I feel we will likely see ALL automakers fall in line, meaning, every 4 cyl will be 2.0, every 5 cyl 2.5L, every 6 cyl 3.0L, every V8 4.0L... we are already seeing that trend materialize. The only real differences will be the combustion chamber design, intake length for packaging and powerband ranges.

1.5L 3-cyl is right there as well.

Wow. Shocking! I would never want to produce a 3 cylinder for the reasons of vibration. However, it seems Ford has resolved those issues well. I do hope that there are more 5 cylinders in the future, but I severely doubt it! It will be interesting to see how this engine stacks up next to the new Corolla's 2.0 engine as far as torque, power, and efficiency.

Originally Posted By: E365
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
http://fordauthority.com/2018/04/ford-is...tion-to-the-us/

Vibration. I'd like to see how the current 1.0L 3-cylinder feels at idle, for example. Put your hand on the top of the engine, then check the vibration that makes it's way to the steering wheel.

I have a 2015 Focus 1.0 with 49,000 miles that I bought new. Car interior is very smooth at idle. Engine is very smooth and quiet overall. Last summer I rented a 2016 Corolla and was surprised how coarse and buzzy that engine was. Ford’s 1.0 is far more refined.

Car has been flawless by the way. Smooth, quiet, efficient, reliable and a great driving car (unlike that Corolla - wow that’s a bad chassis set-up). . The Getrag 6-speed manual is excellent. I’d buy another Ford EcoBoost 3 in a heartbeat.

Rumors are the new Focus ST will have a 275 HP 1.5 3-cylinder. But other outlets claim it’ll be a 1.5 liter 4-cylinder.

The 8th gen Fiesta ST, which sadly, we will NOT get here due to 'Murricans ONLY wanting to buy domestic nameplated 'road tanks', (and NOT domestic nameplated subcompacts) is definitely going to have that 1.5 TGDI (AND port injected as well, I believe) 3 cylinder, paired with the great manual B6 Getrag transaxle that was in the 7th gen Fiesta ST.

Originally Posted By: nthach

The DSG is Licenced from Borg Warner.

The Powershift is made in a joint venture with Gertrag.

They are not the most long lived gearbox thats for sure.

But no worse than the traditional Automatic that was fitted by VW and Ford to their joint European venture family people carrier the Galaxy and Sharan (also a Seat Alhambra) as that auto woukd regularly die in under 70/80k miles even when well maintained.

Yuk. A move from 4cyl to 3cyl? Are we really running out of options to reduce FE?
A power stroke every 240 degrees crank rotation is bad enough, there's already 60 degrees of dumb, unpowered rotation then stack a cylinder deactivation on top? Do they really save that much on production cost by killing off a cylinder? 'Smooth' move... Ford seems to be following the Euros with this one, and on the 1.5L seem to be subscribing to the 500cc standardized cylinder displacement rule to boot. They should keep the 3 cylinders for the 660cc kei cars and motorbikes IMO

1.5l is driven by the Chinese market. That is why Ford killed the 1.6 and introduced the 1.5l 4 cylinder version. The same applies for new Hyundai and Honda 1.5l engines.

Ford is taking advantage of this 1.5l requirement and moving it to the 3 cylinder platform. Other manufacturers may or may not follow this, but they will stick to the 1.5l displacement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Im doing research for a future fuel efficient hatch or wagon. Civic is holding up ok so maybe 3 more yrs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back