.450 Bushmaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AR-Stoner isn't known for the highest quality parts. It's probably fine for what you're going to do with a .450. Big bore rifles are pretty sweet.

Originally Posted By: hatt
AR-Stoner isn't known for the highest quality parts. It's probably fine for what you're going to do with a .450. Big bore rifles are pretty sweet.

hatt, quite honestly, I have no idea what he will shoot with that rifle. He does deer hunt A LOT here in La. And, he cleans all of his deer and gives the meat away. He is a gun collector, and I'm guessing that's what he wants it for.
BTW, he text me about it because he knows I am very into firearms. We have yet to actually have a conversation about it.
confused2.gif

Do you own one?

I have a .45-70. Same general principle. If I were looking for an AR sized .45 I'd get a .458 SOCOM that uses .458 rifle bullets I already stock. .450 bushy uses pistol bullets.

If you hunt deer, bear, or pig, and want to use an AR platform rifle, then get it. If none of that applies to you, then don't waste your time or money.

I have a 50 Beowulf. Same basic idea, and ballistics are quite similar with similarly weighted bullets. All of these "thumper" AR's seem to make about 2600-2900 Lb-Ft muzzle energy with normal sized rounds and the 50 Beo can make over 3100 Lb-Ft with the ultra heavy rounds. Trajectory is simply a matter of the round's mass.

I absolutely love the 50 Beo. It's so much more fun to fire than a typical AR. As is the 450 Bushmaster and 458 Socom. Sure, the rounds are more expensive, but there is no possible way I can fire more than a 20 or 30 in a setting. Very satisfying.

I don't believe any of the available thumper options is "best". They are all quite similar, with a very slight advantage going to the 50 for powder capacity and ultra heavy round capability (that I would never use)

Plenty of ammo options now too. In particular, I like the Brass Spitzer ammo for the 50 Beo. Blazes right through railroad ties and 10 inch trees.

710250.jpg

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
I would opt for a 308 AR honestly. For obvious reasons

I have both. My LR308 is unquestionably a better gun, especially over 200 yards. However, the 50 Beo is as light as a common lightweight AR-15. It's a great back country choice due to it's very light weight, compact size, and is also good for states that limit magazine capacity.

The 50 Beo has the same or more energy than a 308 and makes a half inch hole too.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If you hunt deer, bear, or pig, and want to use an AR platform rifle, then get it. If none of that applies to you, then don't waste your time or money.

It's not my money or time. But, thanks for your opinion.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have a 50 Beowulf. Same basic idea, and ballistics are quite similar with similarly weighted bullets. All of these "thumper" AR's seem to make about 2600-2900 Lb-Ft muzzle energy with normal sized rounds and the 50 Beo can make over 3100 Lb-Ft with the ultra heavy rounds. Trajectory is simply a matter of the round's mass.

I absolutely love the 50 Beo. It's so much more fun to fire than a typical AR. As is the 450 Bushmaster and 458 Socom. Sure, the rounds are more expensive, but there is no possible way I can fire more than a 20 or 30 in a setting. Very satisfying.

I don't believe any of the available thumper options is "best". They are all quite similar, with a very slight advantage going to the 50 for powder capacity and ultra heavy round capability (that I would never use)

Plenty of ammo options now too. In particular, I like the Brass Spitzer ammo for the 50 Beo. Blazes right through railroad ties and 10 inch trees.

710250.jpg

I tell you what, that's a nice projectile!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I’d like to see a video of that going through railroad ties and 10” trees.

Found this pretty easy. Didn't care to look for more.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I’d like to see a video of that going through railroad ties and 10” trees.

Found this pretty easy. Didn't care to look for more.

Why didn't they have the camera on the tree when he shot at it originally? The tree was probably chopped down and they put the camera on it while he was trying to finish what the axe/chainsaw didn't.
21.gif

Agree about vid. Complete B.S. Seen real vid of full auto 30 cal cut tree down and it took a while and at least several hundred rounds and it was on a tripod while firing. Utter B.S.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Agree about vid. Complete B.S. Seen real vid of full auto 30 cal cut tree down and it took a while and at least several hundred rounds and it was on a tripod while firing. Utter B.S.

I like the "Bigger Tips" Mythbusters that popped up while watching the above videos.
grin2.gif

Yeah seen that Mythbusters. There was another vid I saw that used a 30 cal WW1 water cooled MG used to cut down a tree.

I bought a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster caliber. Heavy hitting, relatively medium range use. Good on everything from hogs, deer to any large game in the US. I even started reloading for it with Hornandy 250 gr FTX and XTP bullets. Since it's a straight walled caliber it's a somewhat mild recoil, for me anyways.

I don't know about knocking down trees with a 50 beo. The Brass Spitzer round makes a rather clean 1/2 inch hole in railroad ties. Just a little splintering on the exit. I suppose a 10 inch tree could be felled with 20 carefully placed rounds
smile.gif

I have some 6 to 8 inch oak logs. Maybe a bit of video is in order once the weather clears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back