Any harley owners using Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wix onlide catalog calls for a 51215 for my 05 electraglide standard, but a 51348 for the electraglide classic. Both bikes use the same part # from harley. The wix tech line had no idea why the same bike group with the same engine would use two different numbers. One has a burst psi of 300+ and is a 26 micron filter(my bike) and the other 275 psi and 16 micron. I have a case of 51348 because the same filter fits my truck. Is there any harm in using the 51348?

Are they exactly the same outer dimensions? If they aren't, that may be the only reason for one being recommended over the other. OTHO, if they are the same size and if you want to get particular, I'd use the 26 micron one in the time of coldest initial startup temps, and the 16 micron one in the hottest of startup temps.

Yes same size, The only visable difference is one has a orange drain back valve and the 51215 has no valve at all.

Oh! Well, since a Harley isn't a "normal" sump system, you don't need a drainback valve at all, do you? With a Harley, I'd run the one with no drainback valve.

I have a NAPA 1215 on my '94 Evo engine right now... will have another 1000 miles on it in a couple of weeks or so, and I'll be doing a UOA to see how the 1215 did.

The NAPA 1215 is the same filter as the Wix 51215, by the way.

The Evolution engines supposedly have a lower pressure oil pump, so in order to keep flow levels high, the 30 micron original type oil filter is specified. With the Twin Cam engines, the oil system pushes more pressure and is therefore able to use a 10 micron filter without any flow problems.

You don't mention with engine you have. If I had an Evo, I'd go with the 26 micron, and with a TC I'd choose the 16 micron.

But in truth, either filter will probably do the job just fine.
smile.gif

Dan

Been running the 51215 in my 99 TC88 for several years now without any apparent problems. UOA's have been good. Would prefer to use the 10 micron synthetic Harley filter but just can't bring myself to pay two to three times the price of a Wix for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Titan:
Oh! Well, since a Harley isn't a "normal" sump system, you don't need a drainback valve at all, do you? With a Harley, I'd run the one with no drainback valve.

i understood that hd evo's fitted the oil filter on the return to the tank

and that the t.c.'s are fitted between the pump and the engine

would it (the '05) not be a canditate for a filter with an anti drain back valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back