Yukons: 4WD vs AWD in snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting a Yukon, in the 2010-2014 range. I'd love to get a Denali to get the 6.2 V8. But it just has plain AWD. Does anyone have experience with that in the snow? It's replacing a Land Rover. I'm willing to step down to an SLT with the 5.3 to get normal 4WD, but if the AWD seems to work well for people I'd really love to get the 6.2. Thanks!

If it's just snow travel that you're concerned with, any AWD vehicle will be enough. Unless you're looking for some off road abilities and a particular LOW Range or other features that a true 4WD has over a standard AWD vehicle. Other than that, IDK!...Don't forget good tires is as important as the rest of the system; which ever system you get!

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Escalade 6.0 lq9 AWD (BW 4481, 3.73) Southern NH had a one of the toughest winters I can remember. One snow storm after another. Some days so bad the only vehicles on the roads were town plows and sanders. I think with all that snow I actually drove in it 3 times all winter. Just stayed home, or worked from home. Was great, no issues in the steep terrain around here using just all season Bridgestone alenza duelers. Does it justify the wear and tear of 3 times in snow per year? No way. AWD guzzles gas like crazy on these big trucks. Gas is high, so it matters. Would rather have 4wd so I could turn it off when not in use. Which is 99% of the time. Save the wear and tear on the AWD system which requires constant maintenance (fluids) to prevent problems.

Also I would stay away from the 5.3 in the years you mention. The AFM system is known to eat up lifters and cam lobes, leading to costly repairs. Even if you find a 5.3 thats been repaired, delete AFM. There are kits for this.

4WD for me. You have the low and high range.
AWD is fine but just puts a lot of wear and tear on the system with it constanly engaged.
I learned to drive in a 4WD 78 CJ-5 Renegade Jeep.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Also I would stay away from the 5.3 in the years you mention. The AFM system is known to eat up lifters and cam lobes, leading to costly repairs. Even if you find a 5.3 thats been repaired, delete AFM. There are kits for this.

+1. After Feb 2014 they introduced the Ecotec 5.3 (Gen 5). They are OK. Make sure you run Dexos approved oil in it.

What years 5.3 is ok?

So the 6.2 doesn't have the AFM issue? That's enough to get me to only look at 6.2s.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
What years 5.3 is ok?

So the 6.2 doesn't have the AFM issue? That's enough to get me to only look at 6.2s.

2014 and later 5.3's should be the good ones, but they've also had issues (engine vacuum pumps failing).

The 6.2 doesn't seem to have as many issues, but my guess is that's because there's far less 6.2's out there with far less hard miles on them. Either engine you end up with just disable/delete AFM and you'll be fine.

So the Denali comes with the larger engine, but just the AWD system? The high and low range as mentioned would certainly make sense with the larger engine for towing and such. Never understood these loaded "Tahoes", but anyways..

If snow is all you're worried about, the AWD system would be fine.

Did some light research on the AFM stuff, so it seems like if I get a low mileage one I can just get a programmer and delete it. No need to rip into the engine right?

Guy at work has an 08 Silverado with the 5.3, first year of the AFM. He gets his oil changed at quicky places whenever and only ever short trips the truck and now with over 100k it's still fine. If anyone should have AFM troubles it should be him. It is a known issue but it's hit or miss and not like ever other 5.3 on the road has a problem. I wouldn't be afraid of pre-'14 trucks with low miles and known service records. Owners report mileage unchanged with AFM disabled. Pretty sure the new 6.2 Ecotec has AFM. The 6.0 doesn't.

Go lurk around silveradosierra.com for AFM info.

GM's part time automatic 4WD is a nice compromise between AWD and 4WD. It engages the front wheels when the rear wheels slip. I have had it in several vehicles and it works very well. It is standard on LT and higher trim levels.

The 2010 to 2013 5.3L should have the bugs worked out of the AFM system. You can keep the AFM from engaging by putting the transmission in "M5". 2014 and up get a completely new 5.3L that has nothing in common with the previous engine, other than displacement.

But, if you want the very best AWD system, look into a Toyota Sequoia. The (4WD) Sequoia uses a switchable 2WD/AWD with a proper (Torsen) mechanical center differential that can be used in 4WD 100% of the time. It also has 4WD (AWD) low and can be locked as well. It is just amazing in the snow.

I have a 2011 Escalade with the 6.2 and full-time AWD. I assume this is the same drivetrain in the Yukon Denali? Mine is great in the snow. I have 78k miles on mine and I haven't had any problems with the engine or AFM. What kind of problems do people have with them? What are the symptoms?

My friend had a I think a 2007 Yuk when I was in school back in 2012 or so. I remember he was passing people going up a really steep winding hill during a winter storm like it was nothing. I've had gm trucks with the part time 4x4 and it was not even close to this. I'm sure he had all seasons and you could tell that awd made that thing stick to the road no matter what the conditions. I think those had 392 hp or something too and it never lost traction even when he drove aggressively.

Turning off AFM electronically does not remove the weak part of the valvetrain, which are the 8 AFM lifters. To truly be safe, you'd need 8 standard lifters, the valley plate without the oil lines, and tap/plug the galleys in the valley. It's not tough, you can do it in the driveway in an afternoon. That's the only real way to eliminate the AFM demons...

I suffered through this on the 6.0 in my G8 GT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back