Scan Tool that will read Honda SRS reliably

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I am not looking to spend thousands or even one thousand.

I have 2 Scan Tools a Bosch 1200 (this will read some SRS, but will not do my Civic) and an Innova 3120d which can be upgraded for $99.00 to read SRS/ABS.

I’m reluctant to spend $99.00 to upgrade a $70.00 (and several year old) scanner. So I am looking to get a new scanner but I need it to be able to SRS/ABS on Honda, Toyota and Ford.

Under consideration are Innova 3160g and Autel MaxiDiag Advanced MD808 (Pro).

Does anyone have experience with these, particularly on a 2005 Civic.

I have an Innova , love it and have 3 friends borrow it that own Honda's, I believe mine is a 3120, but I will check when I get home.

OK but what exactly is the Bluetooth functionality of this device? I see usual OBD-II cable coming out of this scanner.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
OK but what exactly is the Bluetooth functionality of this device? I see usual OBD-II cable coming out of this scanner.

Probably to connect to a computer for data logging or streaming.

but regardless the BT model has a much better screen too.. and cheaper.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I've just used the paperclip on the ABS connector to read out the codes. Find the procedure on YouTube. Took a couple tries but worked fine for free.

Give me a little credit here - I got the code - I’m not a complete idiot. Even ignoring the fact that my question did not include any element of how to get the code without a scanner...

Thank you Bambam and Trav, and yes I would be thankful for the exact model of your scanner. Exact vehicle coverage information for scanners is not that accurate, for instance the Bosch says it will read Honda codes among others but it doesn’t work on the Civic for SRS.

Vikas, yes my understanding is that the bluetooth allows it to stream data to a companion program on a computer. (I’m not particularly interested in that, but would like the large screen.)

That is interesting...

I do wish the Amazon reviews would be more specific about the model, as I have a feeling many of those reviews are not for the correct model. I’ve got my doubts that some of the reviewers should be working on cars at all... anyway.

So, no one votes for or has the Autel? I expected it to be the favorite.

Generally, from what I have seen ( and I have at least three Autel OEM'ed scanners/readers), Autel always takes some feature out when they add a new feature on their next generation model. That practice just bugs me. Even if I were to spend four figures on one of their scanner, it still will NOT have all the functionality that I would want in one e.g. they will add built-in battery but then they will take out the two-way aka actuator support from the follow on model and stuff like that.

Well that doesn’t sound good.

I notice the Innova Pro Trav posted has Mac software and an IOS app. That I could actually be interested in.

Decisions Decisions ... BTW I’d be willing to spend up to about $400.00 for one that I knew would work.

The fact that my Civic does not have ABS seems to throw some scanners off... an Actron at one of the parts stores in CO would not even pull powertrain codes out of it...

I have a few scanners/readers I picked up over the years from the expensive Modus and original Genesis to lower priced Auto Enginuity, Innova, Foxwell and a couple of others.
I find the Innova line is pretty accurate in doing the vehicles they say it will, they are good quality. The Foxwell is good but has a bit of a finicky menu, poor support and no onboard power.

The other problem with Foxwell is they offer models and functions for different areas, one model for Europe have more features than the same model sold in the US market. The model sold in Europe can reset throttle bodies the US sold one cannot.
I am liking that Innova pro for the money and functions it offers, the more I read up on it the more I like it. Try it from Amazon if it doesn't do the job they say it on your vehicles will return it.

The Auto Enginuity is great but requires a laptop and it is expensive once you start adding advanced packages to it, it can go over a grand quite easily. Did I say it needs a speedy laptop.

Yeah anything that requires a laptop I have to factor in the cost of a virtual machine at least. My laptop i use for that sort of stuff has reached to point of being too decrepit to be relied upon.

So I guess it is down to the 3160G or the CarScan® Pro 5160...

I am thinking the 5160 is looking like the tool with more functions. At the price that's the one i think I would go with, look into them both.

For the price you are willing to pay, don't settle for not getting two way and manufacturer specific ability (at least for vehicles you own)

According to their compatibility checker it will not do active test on anything that I work on presently and will not do ABS/SRS on the new Ford. It will do SRS/ABS on the 2002 Ranger, Acura, Civic and Prius (assuming it is correct) It will also do steering angle reset on the Toyota. It will also do Oil Life and Battery Reset on the ones that have it.

In fact since I’ve been thinking of gettin a newish F150 I checked several years of 2011 up F150 and it doesn’t do much for them. Guess there is always ForScan Lite for that...

It seems like a decent deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back