2012 Honda Accord transmission clunk in Reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys!
I bought my 2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 brand new and I have changed all fluids more often then recommend. I change the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles using factory Honda ATF(DW1). Once in a blue moon(like once or twice a year) my transmission will clunk and the car will buck a little when shifting into reverse first thing in the morning. It has does this maybe half a dozen times since new so not very often. I'm thinking it may just get "confused" for a second? Any ideas what might be going on when this happens? Should I be concerned at all?
Fluid is always filled correctly and is always clean. Thanks for any input!

Are the motor and transmission mounts good? That's always a possibility, but the "confused" description has me confused. Honda automatic transmissions IMO weren't the greatest, but it sure sounds like it was properly serviced.

May be mounts, not sure why it wouldn't happen all the time though if that were the case. How many miles on it? My 2012 Accord with the K24z3 hasn't exhibited such behavior. It's around 54K miles currently. Do a drain and fill once a year also.

Yeah, could be mounts or joints. Could also be the engine conditions, its all connected. Maybe its a cold morning and its idled up when you toss it into reverse. Maybe something related to idle like a dirty TB MAF air filter. Plugs, etc.

Mine does it from time to time. Transmissions on those generations have been flawless. Relax, don't sweat it.

"Add on" questions if I may:

Neighbor's 2010 Accord 4 cyl. auto. takes the same DW-1 transmission fluid, no?

Nothing newer than DW-1?

It's the Z-1 name/spec/label which is long gone-dead-burried, right?

I had a 2008 CR-V that usually made a metallic clunk going into reverse, did it since it was new. Never a problem in 112,000 miles.

Maybe it is because the rpm's are still high from the cold start up? Waiting another few seconds for the rpm's to come down might help? But at once or twice a year I certainly wouldn't worry too much about it or replace anything.

Open the hood, stand to the side and watch while someone holds the brake on and shifts into drive and reverse. See how much the engine jumps around.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Maybe it is because the rpm's are still high from the cold start up? Waiting another few seconds for the rpm's to come down might help? But at once or twice a year I certainly wouldn't worry too much about it or replace anything.

This right here. If it does it once or twice a year, why worry about it?

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic

This right here. If it does it once or twice a year, why worry about it?

I was thinking along the same lines.

To answer some questions the car has 83,000 miles on it. I park inside my garage and it is flat mostly with a very slight ramp to it like a few inches in 20+ feet. Some time the parking prawl engages and sometime it does not roll back enough to do so. Should I always be setting the parking brake even if I'm on a mostly flat surface?

Last edited:
It is normal. All Honda automatics exhibit this type of behavior when they get older.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It is normal. All Honda automatics exhibit this type of behavior when they get older.

If I keep the fluid changed regularly how many miles should I expect the tranny to last for? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

If I keep the fluid changed regularly how many miles should I expect the tranny to last for? Thanks!

You could change the ATF on a monthly basis and certain failures can still occur. As far as taking care of a transmission, changing the fluid is one of the only things a car owner can do (along with using it properly).

As long as you change the fluid on a regular basis and drive in a sane manner I don't see why you couldn't get 200K out of it.

That is anyone's guess, but I would think 150k is doable.

So all of these 300,000+ Hondas running around out there, its safe to assume they have had their transmission replaced once? I always though Honda was a vehicle where for the most part the entire car makes it to 300,000 miles without a major failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back