How do you get under there?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just wondering what everyone's setup is to get under your vehicle to do an oil change?

Ramps? Wheel chocks? Jacks? Dug a pit in your front yard?

Originally Posted By: Isophix
So, just wondering what everyone's setup is to get under your vehicle to do an oil change?

Now, why didn't I think of that!
lol.gif

Just jack the car up, put up stand jacks, then mess up the drain bolt, drill it out, yell some swear words, then get an oversized drain bolt...change oil.
laugh.gif
Repeat 5k-8k miles later.

Depends on the car. On my Jeep and Camry, I can just reach from underneath. The Sonata I use my RhinoRamps.

Cadillac CTS is easy. Just turn wheels sharp left and stick a long ratchet extension in behind the right front wheel. Filter changes from the top, so no need to raise the car.

Honda Odyssey is trickier. Drain bolt is pretty far back, so ramps are helpful. The wheels need to be turned sharp right to access filter from the side. A grease pit or lift would be ideal!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Isophix

Now, why didn't I think of that!
lol.gif

Hey, not one, but two of my mates have dug pits in their front yards.

One has a very nice set-up, with a concrete storm water pipe dug vertically in, it has a nice step on the inside and a hard wood manhole cover for day to day safety. Oh yes and a internal drainage system for the rain.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, it used to freak me out the setup that my Dad and his Brothers had.

They had a very heavily sloping bank off the road alongside the house, so they took huge slabs of wood size of railroad sleepers, but from memory longer.

Sunk two vertically into the ground so that they were about a decent car track width apart, and were about 5' (must have been more, they could walk under it...we're shortarses, so maybe 6'), then dug the horizontals into the dirt near the road, and coach bolted them to the verticals.

When it was oil change time, drive out into space on these sleepers with a brother using a shovel as a flag steer left/right, and stop.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Well actually.....

First I live out in the country but in a paved residential area. Where my driveway leaves the subdivision road there is a culvert that runs under the driveway. There is a ditchline about 10-12 inches deep at its midpoint and 3-4 feet wide wide extending 50-75 feet gently sloped above the driveway. (I live in the hills) It is easy to pull the car/truck over the ditch line with a tire on both sides of the ditch.

When we did out concrete walkways, patio, etc, there was excess concrete. I had them pour a pad in the ditch line for about 8-10 feet. So when I do an oil change (there's almost no traffic on our subdivision road) I can pull over the concreted ditch line with one wheel on the paved subdivision road and the other on the opposite side of the ditch and have a nice pit in which to work. Not too convenient on snowy or rainy days, but I can work around those. But in an emergency the concrete drys out quickly after a rain, no cold wet ground. No danger of ramps giving way and gives plenty of room to work.

Again I live out in the sticks where the neighbors live and let live, so no problems with that either.

You can dance under the Powerstroke without lifting it, and while I can change the oil on the Explorer fairly easily, I have four short pieces of scrap 2x12 (picked up for free at Home Depot) that I staggered 6" and screwed together forming two "ramps". I have not tested them on the C300 yet, but they worked fine on the GLC 43. They raise the front of the car about 3" and that is plenty of clearance for me to do the necessary.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
When I was a kid, it used to freak me out the setup that my Dad and his Brothers had.

They had a very heavily sloping bank off the road alongside the house, so they took huge slabs of wood size of railroad sleepers, but from memory longer.

Sunk two vertically into the ground so that they were about a decent car track width apart, and were about 5' (must have been more, they could walk under it...we're shortarses, so maybe 6'), then dug the horizontals into the dirt near the road, and coach bolted them to the verticals.

When it was oil change time, drive out into space on these sleepers with a brother using a shovel as a flag steer left/right, and stop.

Your dad and uncles were very smart. And, they knew exactly what they were doing! We could really learn a lot from our elders. I know I sure did when I was younger.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

When I worked for the rental car company on the Island, the building was split level, the lower part had the office and the hire centre I ran, and up the back was my workshop. The previous owner had built something similar to what your family made - there was a wooden ramp built out over the lower floor...and you had to drive up onto it too. There was no safety stuff at all - a couple of HQ Holdens were the biggest we had, and were maxxed out on width...I'd shuffle along the ramps on my toes holding onto the car, step around the wheel to get to the front. The HQ was maxxed out on length too, the rear wheels just up on the ramp, and the fronts nearly off the end. A scary and dangerous thing, but, that's what I had to use.

Changing oil and filters on the BMWs just required a 2x8 under the front heels to get enough room for the drain pan. I also keep a few carpet strips to lie on when I have to raise the the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back