Bad Wheel bearing? 2012 Mazda5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2012 Mazda 5 has a minor noise at highway speed like cupped tires or knobby mud tires are on it, but makes the same noise with the summer or winter set, so is probably not tires. The hub has no free play when you grab the tire and try to wiggle in and out. I spun the hub and it makes a clicking noise - video link below. Is this definitely a bad wheel bearing? The other side makes the same noise but not as pronounced. Car has 85k miles.

Uh, yeah.
crackmeup2.gif

Ok cool they are $80 each for the hub assembly on Rock Auto plus $10 s&h, so I will go for it. Local auto parts stores have off-brand for $106 each side, and $170 each for Moog. I tried a Duralast one time on my sister-in-law's Ford Freestyle and the ABS light was on until I got a Moog or Timken (don't remember which), so I don't want to do the job twice again.

Edit: $80 each is for the Moog on Rockauto. They have cheaper ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oscar_Ruitt
Ok cool they are $80 each for the hub assembly on Rock Auto plus $10 s&h, so I will go for it. Local auto parts stores have off-brand for $106 each side, and $170 each for Moog. I tried a Duralast one time on my sister-in-law's Ford Freestyle and the ABS light was on until I got a Moog or Timken (don't remember which), so I don't want to do the job twice again.

Get the SKF hub

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Get the SKF hub
We had an SKF plant in my hometown. They are currently pulling out now though....

Originally Posted By: Oscar_Ruitt

Moog is mostly Chinese supplier. SKF if the one you want.

I though (wheel bearing)the same thing on the Mazda3 in my signature. It turned out to be tires. Tires looked fine...just a little cupping but nothing serious. But man, it was loud!
When it was time, I got new tires and an alignment and this took care of the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back