Front end bug protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Is there something I can apply to the bumper cover, headlights and hood of the RAV to make bug guts easier to remove? I wax with Collenite 845 but can't say bugs wash off easier than other waxes. Going to be starting a 75 mile round trip commute soon and removing the remains is going to be an ongoing job.

I'd get some Ultima Waterless Wash and a plush mf towel from autogeek.com. It's about $20 upfront but will make 32 bottles of wash. You won't need to do it every day. But the days you do clean up will be a snap. This is what I do for hwy trips esp in the summer. The key is getting them off quick. Because once the sun bakes the stuff in then it's so much harder to get off.

Front end protection films will help prevent rock chips but they're expensive. Around $1,000 or so. This kit runs $50 and the spray bottle sprays when you squeeze the trigger and when you release it.

https://www.autogeek.net/ult-ww-kit.html

Last edited:
laugh.gif

Getting them off as soon as possible is the key, as stated above. I buy taffeta from the fabric store (it is pretty cheap) and cut it into squares 8-12 inches wide with pinking shears. Get it wet (a spritz or two from the windshield washer fluid directly on the fabric works) and it removes bugs from the windshield and front end paint like magic and without scratching. I usually get a yard or two because friends, family and people at work inevitably see me using it and how well it works and want one too, so I end up giving them the one I have.

I just use Turtle Wax spray and microfiber rags … cleans great and leaves some protection …

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The key is getting them off quick. Because once the sun bakes the stuff in then it's so much harder to get off.

Front end protection films will help prevent rock chips but they're expensive. Around $1,000 or so.

I agree. You need to get those bugs off fast.

Protection film will eliminates virtually all rock chips. Though it was a few years ago, the last few times I had protection film applied it only cost about $300, and the work was excellent. On my last vehicle I had the front 18" or so of the hood, the side mirrors and the headlights done. I wasn't worried about stone chips on the bumper as they can be touched up quite readily and rust isn't a concern. The film was cut using an automated cutting machine with a pattern specific to the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Is there something I can apply to the bumper cover, headlights and hood of the RAV to make bug guts easier to remove? I wax with Collenite 845 but can't say bugs wash off easier than other waxes. Going to be starting a 75 mile round trip commute soon and removing the remains is going to be an ongoing job.

During the summer, especially the beginning of it, I also use Collinite 845 and I try to apply some to the front end just before we leave for our trailer. I have found it works great but like you said, likely there isn't much difference between other waxes when it come to the ease of removing bug splatter.
I have never tried WD-40 and I'm not sure I would nor try any other type spray/chemical. When I get to our trailer, I'll park my truck/car in the shade and spray it down with water then use regular car soap and water to remove them with a mitt or some old nylons. A good majority, after it they have soaked for a bit (keep them wet) will wash off somewhat so it usually doesn't take much to get the remaining off just by washing/scrubbing them.

Unfortunately, there is no magic cure-all for this problem. The only solutions are to install a bra, install the clear film (clear bra), or keep doing what you're currently doing. I have never liked bras. If they don't fit perfectly tight, they can rub on your paint and actually wear through it. Sand can get wedged under the bra and scratch the paint too. Then there's having to take it off and put it back on every time your detail the vehicle, which is a pain in the butt. With my last vehicle I had a clear bra installed. At first I liked it, but as it aged it yellowed and cracked and eventually it looked terrible. All I do now is apply several coats of 845 to the front of the vehicle. The bugs are still a pain to clean off, but at least they're not staining the paint this way...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Unfortunately, there is no magic cure-all for this problem.

^^ yep.^^

Keeping a good sealant or wax on the paint will make life easier (as you already do,) as will cleaning them off as quickly as possible (as you are no doubt aware.)

Just don't let them bake on in the sun
wink.gif
that can easily cause etching of the paint (much like the acids in bird poo does)

Regards
Jordan

Unfortunately, there is no magic cure-all for this problem. The only solutions are to install a bra, install the clear film (clear bra), or keep doing what you're currently doing.

Rejex helps the clear film avoid yellowing, and at least at one time, was endorsed by 3M for that purpose.

Late to the party, didn't see the thread for some reason. I know it's not a protective product, but Poorboy's has a product called Bug Squash for easy bug removal. Mix 3:1 and apply a couple minutes before hand washing. Sometimes they come off with just a pass on the pressure washer. Works every time for me either way, I've come to buy it by the gallon and it's pretty economical. Mixing at 3:1 will have no harmful effect on your wax/sealant. Full strength will remove tar as well.

I use spray wax after each wash and this makes the bugs come off much easier! I have Meguiars gold class and Turtle Wax Ice. Both leave the surface feeling very slick, helping the bugs to keep from sticking to the paint.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Unfortunately, there is no magic cure-all for this problem. The only solutions are to install a bra, install the clear film (clear bra), or keep doing what you're currently doing.

Rejex helps the clear film avoid yellowing, and at least at one time, was endorsed by 3M for that purpose.

It might keep it from yellowing, but does it keep it from cracking?

That's a good question. I "suspect" that it helps overall longevity of the material, and some of the people who apply the film here are pretty vehement they would like it used on the product to help preserve it, and prevent premature warranty claims. Now, what kind of longevity it would provide over five years, ten years, or whatever, your guess is as good as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back