Time of year for more IRS scam calls

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's tax time and the voice mail on our land line is filling up with the fake IRS scam calls again. They always leave a message similar to this; "This is the Internal Revenue service IRS, the reason for this call is to inform you that we have examined your tax return and determined that the IRS has overpaid you in the amount of $1,236.00. It is very urgent that you call 605775111 in order to avoid further legal actions against you. again do not ignore this call or you will face a lien and garnishments on your home" . Sometimes they leave a fake badge # and of course they often have names like Steve or Bill but they have a heavy Indian or Pakistan accent. I am pretty sure we have been getting these calls for about 3 decades now. Our call blocker blocks most of the calls but still it seems like a few manage to somehow get through the block. I expect these IRS scam call scams to go on for another month or so and then it will be the Fake computer virus and of course the Fake "Rachel " of Card Service calls seem to be year round. Very annoying that is for sure. It used to be that my cell rarely got these calls but the past year even my cell blocks 20-30 calls per month. Often they spoof local numbers from small towns or they use legit business numbers. A few days back I had an IRS scammer show up as Cabelas on my call ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call them back and tell them you work for the FBI. I`m sure they will hang up super fast..

We get them too in Canada. However they use a computer generated voice. They keep telling me I could go to jail.

I`m such an unhappy taxpayer, if I could get free room and board I`d take them up on their offer.

My sister got one of these scam calls from Canada Revenue Agency. She made a point of calling the number back in the evening, the scammer answered his own cell phone with "Hello"

My sis told him "Gee I would have thought that a Canada Revenue Agency worker would answer with a more professional greeting" the guy quickly told her "removed"

The Canadian Police, RCMP can't do anything with these scams, they are too portable to catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a land line?

Kindest,

Sony Betamax

Originally Posted By: BJD78
It's tax time and the voice mail on our land line is filling up with the fake IRS scam calls again. They always leave a message similar to this; "This is the Internal Revenue service IRS, the reason for this call is to inform you that we have examined your tax return and determined that the IRS has overpaid you in the amount of $1,236.00. It is very urgent that you call 605775111 in order to avoid further legal actions against you. again do not ignore this call or you will face a lien and garnishments on your home" . Sometimes they leave a fake badge # and of course they often have names like Steve or Bill but they have a heavy Indian or Pakistan accent. I am pretty sure we have been getting these calls for about 3 decades now. Our call blocker blocks most of the calls but still it seems like a few manage to somehow get through the block. I expect these IRS scam call scams to go on for another month or so and then it will be the Fake computer virus and of course the Fake "Rachel " of Card Service calls seem to be year round. Very annoying that is for sure. It used to be that my cell rarely got these calls but the past year even my cell blocks 20-30 calls per month. Often they spoof local numbers from small towns or they use legit business numbers. A few days back I had an IRS scammer show up as Cabelas on my call ID.

Sometimes I have been known to override the block and answer and mess with them. I told one India fake IRS guy that "No You Owe me Money!!" I think he cussed at me in India and then hung up LOL!! Normally about 9 times out of 10 I let the blocker block them.
So these dirtbags also call and bother people in Canada as well. We have a "donot call list here in the US, but only legit people follow that law. Not sure if there are any legit telemarketers left anymore. The scammers have tarnished the reputation of telemarketers to the point where I assume 100% of them are scammers.

Lots of people still have landlines. In our case it comes with the Windstream Internet and the voice quality is better on our landline phone than it is our cell phones. Basically only use land line when calling out. rarely answer the landline since most of the time it is tele scammer dirtbags calling.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Lots of people still have landlines. In our case it comes with the Windstream Internet and the voice quality is better on our landline phone than it is our cell phones. Basically only use land line when calling out. rarely answer the landline since most of the time it is tele scammer dirtbags calling.

Funny how VoIP is considered landline these days.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My voip ooma line with a $9 cordless vtech telephone sounds ten times better than any new iphone or samsung galaxy on verizon, or ATT.

Not really. I use an iPhone 7 with LTE and voice over LTE HD voice quality is in different realm. Ooma is variable at best.

I work from Home and use my iPhone on conference calls.

Got one today!

Just hit him with a bunch of Sling Blade qoutes:

Me- You got any more of them french fried potaters?

Them - ????

Me - Reckon you make me some biscuits.

Them - ????

Me- You ought not talk that way. You just a boy.

Them - ????

Me- It ain't got no gas in it.

Them -"click"

Or another time...

Me- This is Agent Smithers with the FBI tax fraud division. Who am I speaking with?

Them - "Click"

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
My sister got one of these scam calls from Canada Revenue Agency. She made a point of calling the number back in the evening, the scammer answered his own cell phone with "Hello"

My sis told him "Gee I would have thought that a Canada Revenue Agency worker would answer with a more professional greeting" the guy quickly told her "removed"

The Canadian Police, RCMP can't do anything with these scams, they are too portable to catch.

Good approach. We get some sort of scam call about the same time several days a week. Funny thing is that's about 1:00 am in India. Maybe they have an all night work crew. Or maybe they're not in India. The call back in the evening might get them (wherever they are) when they're trying to sleep. I'm gonna try it. In fact I may call back early in the morning, early evening and again just before bedtime, several nights in a row - I'm really worried about this sudden debt after all. Some of those times have got to be inconvenient.

And I'll bet they don't know what the weather is like in Ottawa!

Usually when you call a scammer number back it will be a non working phone number. The good scammers somehow spoof a non working number so that shows up on your caller ID.

That is a good idea.Maybe one of these days when I am feeling extra ornery and fed up with those calls, I will do that Sling Blade thing, might try and somehow learn a few india cusswords as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back