Must colleges disclose donations, by law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's an axiom that major, pet food companies make substantial monetary donations (and/or product donations) to veterinary schools and/or the students directly in the form of tuition assistance, etc. Their goal by doing so is to encourage soon to be DVMs will pimp their products upon entering the work force.

I'm just wondering if a given college is required, somewhere/somehow, by law to disclose the amount(s) of the donations and who the donor(s) are?

Ed

Depends on the college.

Most public colleges and universities are required by state/federal law to be subject to public disclosure laws. I don't know if they have to be published, but an inquiry as to whether or not a particular person has donated and how much would have to be disclosed by request. I've donated before and I've seen my name buried in a donor list with my donation amount. I believe I could have asked that my name be kept out of those donor lists, but I don't believe I would have been able to keep anyone from asking about me specifically.

There are lots of public disclosures. There are state databases of all public employees in a state and their salaries. I remember back when there was a public speaker at a university in California, the university's foundation fought to not have to disclose the contract. The foundation was housed in the campus administrative building and used university resources. Eventually they gave in and provided the contract. However, a student went dumpster diving and found a draft version of it earlier.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Cal-State-Stanislaus-releases-Palin-contract-3176433.php

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I think it's an axiom that major, pet food companies make substantial monetary donations (and/or product donations) to veterinary schools and/or the students directly in the form of tuition assistance, etc. Their goal by doing so is to encourage soon to be DVMs will pimp their products upon entering the work force.
I'm just wondering if a given college is required, somewhere/somehow, by law to disclose the amount(s) of the donations and who the donor(s) are?
Ed

The masters of this are the pharmaceutical companies, this cradle snatching of doctors started more than 50 yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back