Brakes sticking when wet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem with the front brakes on my 2006 G35. Whenever it rains, the brake pads appear to be sticking to the rotor. For example, if I come to a stop light and release the brake pedal after a minute or so I can hear a noticeable clunk as the pads release.

If it has been raining and I leave the car sitting for a few days inside, when I go to drive off there is a noticeable bang as the pads release from the rotor. I do realize that rotors can rust when sitting but this isn't the case on another car that's driven in similar conditions.

I put all new pads and rotors on the front about 6 months ago (Akebono pads and Stoptech Centric rotors). I'm worried something is seizing up but am quite puzzled as everything was lubricated with Silglyde when I did the brakes and the calipers moved freely. I guess I can check the pads and slide pins again. I've never experienced this on other cars so I'm quite puzzled.

I hear the same noise when I let off the brakes in the rain. It's a characteristic of some cars and doesn't mean the brakes are hanging up.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
After a minute? Does that car have the automatic brake drying feature?

Give or take. The longer you are stopped the more noticeable it is. No automatic drying feature on the car.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I hear the same noise when I let off the brakes in the rain. It's a characteristic of some cars and doesn't mean the brakes are hanging up.

Interesting. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the composition of the brake pads against the rotors.

Last edited:
My brakes often "bark" or "chatter" when releasing on wet days, most often before they warm up enough to start drying off, after cooling at a long stoplight, or prolonged stop and go on cold days. They still do it even after a full service and lube.

I guess certain cold and wet pad / rotor combos have a non-linear release characteristic so they continue grabbing as pressure is released then suddenly slip with a bang/clunk/chatter.

Use an IR thermometer after driving to see if temps are reasonable and balanced within a few tens of degrees side to side. That will show if a caliper is dragging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back