Bent rims: repairing vs replacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my Infiniti's last rotate & balance, the tech showed me 2 bent rims (gotta love NE potholes). Now comes the question: repair or replace?

I haven't gotten repair estimates yet, but I've heard $125-150/wheel is the going rate. A quick Ebay search shows used rims for less, and they're in better shape than my current curb rashed rims. The downside with used rims is that they may come bent and you won't find out until the shop throws them on the balancer machine.

What have you guys done to address bent rims?

I never had to get one replaced. I think low profile tires combined with bad roads will do that to rims.

I would probably try to go new or slightly used rims if it were me.

For small dents in steel wheels I gently tap the offending area with a 1lb copper hammer until its close enough then re tyre it and balance up.

I don't touch 1pc aluminium wheels because I've seen them crack when people have tried to tap them back into shape.

2 or 3 pc splits I just replace the damaged part.

Edited because I forgot to mention that more tyre profile is the second best insurance against pot holes, the 1st place award for avoiding wheel & tyre damage is observing the road condition and avoiding the pot holes in the first place.

Last edited:
Do you actually feel a vibration? If not, maybe just leave them alone. I wasted money once getting rims repaired once. Didn't have any issues with vibration but it bothered me knowing that they weren't perfect. Felt no difference in how well it drove before or after.

I would check into the availability of take off wheels. My wife bent a rim on a pothole with her Camaro and I found out how expensive new wheels were. After I bought another Camaro, I "ahem" overreacted a bit when I found take-offs available for give away prices. I now have a garage space full of unblemished take-offs from later model F-bodies.

I realize an Infinity isn't a Camaro but put a request on an appropriate forum or two and see if you get a response. I know I'd unload a set or 3 to get some space back.

I cracked an aluminum rim when using the press at work to straighten it.

I think the professionals either cut out the section and weld a new one in, or they heat treat it to soften it, straighten it, then put it through a hardening cycle.

I wouldn't buy just a used one, get one that's reconditioned. Around here, it's $95 to bend it back, an extra $20 if you need the tire mounted/balanced. He can't really fix cracked ones as those need to be welded and then bent back so those are more like $150+. I got a reconditioned OEM on Ebay for $148. If you buy one on eBay, some vendors will pay you $20 for the old one, but not if it's cracked.

I usually get the GM polished starfish wheels from ebay if I can find them and spin them right away to make sure they are true.
I have had them straightened but it cost double what a nice clean used one cost.
Rare or super expensive OE wheels I get them done. Potholes in this third world hole will kill anything.

depending on material repairs are not so good!! paid $125 to repair a bent centerline forged rim that later cracked. replacing is your best bet IMO. you can help things by going to a taller profile tyre while keeping the same outside diameter, just check the OE tyre specs + match up. even going from a 45 to a 50 sidewall helps prevent possible damage + it will prolly ride better as well. i am NOT a fan of todays oversized overweight wheels with rubber band tyres, they may look good but sooner or later many get damaged because theres little cushion before the rim is contacted!!! you can prolly buy 4 nice aftermarket wheels for what 2 OE wheels cost unless you can find nice used ones!! i recently purchased an alloy rim for a spare, it was on a frontier + was like new $50 + $30 to ship from NY next door, sellew wanted $85 + ship but i mentioned i was close in PA so he prolly paid less to ship + took my offer on e-bay, mounted it on the truck without tyre to check it, beware todays electronics go crazy when its off the ground with power applied!!

Last edited:
Only problem with aftermarket wheels is that they tend to crack. That shop had a bunch of aftermarket wheels that couldn't be fixed because they were cracked. OEMs just tend to bend. OEMs spend a lot more money making sure that wheels will last the life of the car than the aftermarket. That's why I ended up paying a little more for a refurbished OEM Mercedes wheel than a replica Mercedes wheel.

I replaced bent steel wheels with new steel wheels on mine. The ex wife paid more attention to her phone and music instead of driving. You have to be careful though, 2 of the 3 wheels I bought were good, the 3rd is slightly out of round and I may end up replacing it with a junkyard wheel if I can find a straight one

Some may wish to note there are forged aluminum rims and cast aluminum ones. A huge difference.

I have "forged" a relationship with a professional wheel fixer at the local Caddy dealer. He has a huge trailer and travels around the area fixing wheels at dealerships. Fantastic prices and he usually has one day service.

I have limited experiences with fancy rims as most of my fleet is work trucks, but my RAM and my sig car have nice ones. We bent 2 of the rims on my sig car due to wife, she ran back roads for two years in it because our Silverado at the time was "too jittery" for her after some abdominal surgery. Both rims were fixed super fast by the wheel dude, he has great skills!

Yeah, depending how bad it is, I might not trust repairing a cast wheel. A good wheel repair guy will make the appropriate recommendation.

I run forged wheels from Rays Engineering on my track car. They are very strong, repairable, but also very expensive as any forged wheel will be. Unless you have a very expensive or very high-performance car, odds are the factory wheels are cast.

Thanks for all the helpful information. A local salvage yard has some rims in-stock that I'm going to check out. If that doesn't work out I'll order up a reconditioned rim online.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofast182
Yeah, depending how bad it is, I might not trust repairing a cast wheel. A good wheel repair guy will make the appropriate recommendation.

I run forged wheels from Rays Engineering on my track car. They are very strong, repairable, but also very expensive as any forged wheel will be. Unless you have a very expensive or very high-performance car, odds are the factory wheels are cast.

That's interesting, as my sig car was priced at 39995 base price. Not what I would call expensive, but equipped with real forged wheels.

My RAM actually cost us about the same despite a higher sticker and also has forged wheels on it OEM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back