Shade tree mechanic vs corporate employee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that it seems like the shade tree mechanic or the guy working out of his garage can fix something better than a big corporate chain? Am I the only one who has noticed this?

It's the difference between working for yourself and taking pride and care vs banging a job out as quickly as possible to make your time more valuable.

Think of it this way, who will be a better empathetic ear to talk to about your troubles, a very close friend or family member or a hired councellor on the clock?

There`s a guy in the next subdivision down the street from me, who`s a Fire fighter in Toronto. Works one week and is off three. He`s got a scissor lift in his Garage and he`s always got cars in there getting serviced. With people being too `busy` these days, I`m sure he`s making good coin working on cars......

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Why is it that it seems like the shade tree mechanic or the guy working out of his garage can fix something better than a big corporate chain? Am I the only one who has noticed this?

Besides the reasons already mentioned, the shade tree probably cares more and knows the car better.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Chains can be “owned” … our Goodyear has has three guys on the floor for 20 years or more each … for brakes, suspension, wheel bearings, steering, alignment, tires balanced, oil changes etc … they are fantastic …
Just don’t do engines and transmission work …

I have never dealt with the Midas type places … heard you don’t want to …

In the town I grew up in my dad would take his car into two different shops. Both were independent shops. One was owned by a race car mechanic. That shop is still in business today. The guy knew what he was doing on a car. The other shop he went into was run by a ex Ford dealership mechanic. That guy knew his way around a Ford. Charged less than the dealership and was always busy. Don't know his status though. Dad always trusted the shade tree guys in thier own shops.

If you pick the independent/shade tree guy you'll get better service for all the reasons mentioned above.

He works on reputation and referral, so it only takes one botch or one cut corner and ALL his custom disappears.

The faster you work and the more hours you flag for your dealership, the higher bonus you earn at the end of the month.

They're completely opposite ends of the industry

I did a stint in commercial kitchen equipment service. Many of the calls I went on were the second trip after the "Expert" high volume guy went in and bagged the hours and band aided the job. weeks later I would go in to fix the real problem and the service manager would coach me to hit them with the "This is a different problem" second charge ...i did not comply. A couple years in the customers started asking for me and refused them sending the expert guy. I could see they were slowly putting themselves out of business so I left on to bigger things.

I must disagree though ...there are plenty of backyard mechanics that are faking it just like the corp guy. ...but they have more time and less pressure to get it right the second time.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Think of it this way, who will be a better empathetic ear to talk to about your troubles, a very close friend or family member or a hired councellor on the clock?

You can talk to anyone about your troubles. Can a close friend offer professional advice on how to fix your marriage or depression or deal with the death of a loved one?

I have a trusted indie mechanic with a nice shop, by shadetree you mean a guy working out of his garage under the radar?

Pieces add up. Corporate franchise fees, rent, electric, service writer and managers who never touch a tool, the mechanic's salary, parts mark-ups, insurance....

Now add in dissatisfied workers who know they're in a dead end job location. The misery.....

Some problems are just going to take time to troubleshoot. I imagine it can become a challenge, but rewarding and satisfying when you master the challenge. Unfortunately, this isn't something you can do with someone asking, is it done yet? is it done yet? is it done yet?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back