I think I'm gonna buy another Crown Vic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last thing I need is another car, BUT the Suburban is a gas guzzler with transmission issues and the Escape is being rented out on Turo because the underpowered four-banger just doesn't do it for me. I'd also rent out the Vic on there and just drive whichever car isn't rented out and if both are rented out I'll drive the Burb despite it's problems it is still sort of driveable.

Looking for an 07+ with under 130K as per Turo requirements. I've owned a 99 Vic before and it was a great car minus the handling (but 03+ with rack-n-pinion is better I've heard) and occasional torque converter shudder... anything I should look out for in particular? I'm going to try to find another civilian non-police one but in my budget of $2500 that might be tough.

When you buy it we can all join hands and pay homage to this dinosaur and sing Kumbuya.....or something.

^^^^^
lol.gif
Whew, glad I wasn't drinking anything as I read that, afraid key board would have been a goner.

lol no really my actual question was this:

anything I should look out for in particular?

You will probably be lucky to find one under 130K, unless you stumble across a unicorn.
The agencies that use them are using them up. Still some in service around here.

Try a Mercury Grand Marquis. Same thing but old people loved them so probably better cared for and lower miles.

I still see quite a few as taxis. However, in some places there might be a requirement for vehicles under a certain age, such as San Francisco. There might be a few more left in SF where I think the limit is 8 years by model year. It's kind of odd too seeing some of the retired taxi vehicles as personal cars. Also some retired police vehicles (with the "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" badge) still being used as taxis or personal cars.

I remember once getting help from a older driver when I forgot to turn off the lights waiting for my wife at one of those free airport lots. I didn't have a working jump starter, but she said she might have jumper cables in the back that he son might have left there. I found them, but that trunk was massive. I had a hard time reaching the forward deck it was so long.

I'd rather have a Crown Vic then these SUV sissy things they clone us into now...IMHO

I'm in a mood, it's my hormones..lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Never heard of Turo until today. Sounds like a terrible idea, but clearly people are doing it.
Sounds dangerous as heck, can't believe ANY insurance co. would allow it.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I'd rather have a Crown Vic then these SUV sissy things they clone us into now...IMHO

I agree-I must be getting old, it's nice to have a V8 highway cruiser that loafs along at 70-75, under 2000 RPM, getting 22-23 MPG. I only wish I'd held out for a Town Car, there's a lot more romm in the back seat.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

I agree-I must be getting old, it's nice to have a V8 highway cruiser that loafs along at 70-75, under 2000 RPM, getting 22-23 MPG. I only wish I'd held out for a Town Car, there's a lot more romm in the back seat.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

I posted recently about a 2002 Lincoln Continental (same car) w/125K w/$2,300 asking price.

The fine folk here warned of the weak Taurus transmission Ford used in these big cars.

It's gotta be the same for these car service cars. Good thing yellow paint sticks to 'em.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Man it's a different world. Rent a vehicle I own to a stranger? I won't loan one to someone I know...

What does your insurance think of that?

My insurance company has nothing to do with it, that's the beauty of it. See:

tgiKwL9.png

Originally Posted By: Kira
I posted recently about a 2002 Lincoln Continental (same car) w/125K w/$2,300 asking price.

The fine folk here warned of the weak Taurus transmission Ford used in these big cars.

It's gotta be the same for these car service cars. Good thing yellow paint sticks to 'em.

Yeah, it seems the 4R70W (05-)/4R75E(06+) is like GM's 4L60E - the weak link in literally every vehicle it was ever put into.

Look for the intake manifold leaking coolant to the outside of the engine. The spots to check are the sides of the thermostat housing part of the manifold and at the rear of the manifold.

Look for coolant in the spark plug wells. Engine misfire is a good indication of this issue.

If the coolant crossover at the front of the manifold is aluminum, not plastic, it is the improved unit.

Other common issues are:
- failed window regulators ( windows don't work ).
- steering shaft problems...there was a recall or tech service bulletin from Ford.
- adjustable pedal mechanism...if it has adjustable pedals, try adjusting them to see if they are ok.
- blower motor resistor...make sure the blower works on all speeds.
- blend door actuator...make sure all the heater directional functions work.

Crownvic.net is an excellent source and with some research there, you can make this list longer. There is a Utube video about what will fail on a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis.

If you do have to buy a Police Interceptor due to financial reasons, they would have the same common issues listed above. But in addition, the biggest problem with those is wiring. When they are decommissioned for auction, all the police equipment is removed and the wiring for it is often left in a mess. This can result in lights, signals, etc. not working and intermittent electrical faults that can be difficult to trace.

These Crown Vics love-fest threads are as bad as the Michelin Tire ones.......

"The greatest car ever made" "they last forever".....

Yep. If you want one that does all of the above and want to drive an old Police car.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back