Nissan Frontier

I am thinking of buying a 2016 0r 17 Frontier with low miles and still under full factory warranty. I know nothing about these trucks, as I have been GM or Ford all my life. But, I now want a crew cab, and these seem to be slightly smaller and a LOT cheaper than the GM or Ford models. The ones I am looking at have the 6 cyl. and automatic trans. I am mostly concerned with problems with. engine or transmission. I don't care about things like the sound system, the seats, or the ride, or the handling. Just the dependability of the vehicle. It will be our main vehicle, and will hardly ever be use as a truck. It will probably replace the Fusion and the Ranchero. So what advise can those of you that have one give me?

Never owned one, but you never see old nissan trucks other than hardbodies on the road or in the scrapyard. Obviously they do not sell as many units at the big three but you never see them used as commercial vehicles either.

I think the newer ones are all bling. If you do not care about amenities, just grab a base model american truck. Did you see the recent thread with the chevy 3500? That thing was schweet.

Not a nissan hater, but nissan or toyota trucks got really soft in the american market compared to their global or domestic models since the 80s. What is the point in a japanese knockoff of an american truck?

Although no direct comparison, my sister had an '02 Frontier which was super reliable, needing only a sensor in addition to routine maintenance during its first 11 years and ~120000 miles. Not a bad choice if the interior is a good fit for you.

We have a Frontier at where I work. It sucks - very uncomfortable. Do not get a Frontier. As for reliability, it's not exceptional it just needed a steering rack (it was leaking)... only 75K miles.

Besides they are SUPER outdated, you can tell it's the same thing it was in 2005 when it was last redesigned. I know you said you don't care, but you may as well go buy a 2005 instead of a 2017 LOL.

But why, if you don't need a truck, replace a nice Fusion with that Nissan garbage?

Last edited:
I owned an '08 4x4 Crew Cab for 10 years and 198,000 miles. In that time, I replaced 2 front wheel bearings, oil seals on the real axle, ball joints, and a camshaft position sensor.

Earlier generations (including mine) had issues with timing chains and radiator/transmission coolant contamination. Both have been fixed in newer models. I also had to do the timing chain fix.

It was a tough little truck, and I'd have bought another other than my family was no longer fitting in it.

Last edited:
Extremely functional truck. VQ40 V6 has been around a long time. Not sure what engine or transmission troubles you're concerned about. Nissan addressed the transmission problem with the ATF and coolant mixing due to a faulty radiator design and grenading transmissions years ago. They addressed the weak timing chain guide years ago as well. This is my second VQ40, first one was in a 2005 Xterra (only had a slight whine from timing chain guide when it was sold and no transmission issues), and currently our 2014 Frontier. 265 hp makes this smaller, more affordable truck a good value as well. I had such good luck with these vehicles/engines I wanted to get another Frontier but my wife nixed that idea and I ended up with my Sierra instead. I don't work for Nissan in any way, shape or form.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
We have a Frontier at where I work. It sucks - very uncomfortable. Do not get a Frontier. As for reliability, it's not exceptional it just needed a steering rack (it was leaking)... only 75K miles.

Besides they are SUPER outdated, you can tell it's the same thing it was in 2005 when it was last redesigned. I know you said you don't care, but you may as well go buy a 2005 instead of a 2017 LOL.

But why, if you don't need a truck, replace a nice Fusion with that Nissan garbage?

I agree 100% with dogememe. And I am a Nissan Owner.

And you can forget Toyota Taco too. More garbage.

Just get a CUV.

Last edited:
Dad had a '14 Nissan Frontier V6. They're ok, but overpriced for how outdated it was. They're reliable, at least the '11 and above are. The '10 and below had issues with the transmission cooler. The seats are super uncomfortable. Other than that they're ok, but I would not spend the money on a new one.

Other than sucking gas, there's not much too worry about on a newer one. 09-10 I think was the last of the leaky cross contamination rads and timing chain guide issues.
I can see one kept going for 20 years with far issues than a new CUV though. But a new CUV will be nicer to live with for the first 10 years.
The fuel bill kills the logic for me owning a pickup, so we make do with an CUV and a trailer for pickup duties.

old1, I've got a thread going in the vehicles section in regards to our newly purchased 2017 Frontier crew cab 4x4, SV auto. It's a very nice, old school, basic, super functional truck. My FIL bought it because of how well their work truck Frontiers (same model/configuration) have held up for them over the years and they're worked HARD. Our 2017 was a previous rental out of Quebec and had 8500mi on it when we bought it for ~$23600 before TTL.

For those who say they're junk. I'm curious to know what model/engine/drivetrain this is in regards to. The only complaints I've ever seen on a late model Frontier were base 4cyl models.

Like said, the VQ40 engine and Jatco 5spd auto have been around forever and are excellent. The trans has a drain plug and dipstick and the T-case and diffs are easily serviceable. Earlier models had issues with the ATF cooler in the radiator rupturing and sending engine coolant into the trans. This has been resolved. The timing chain guide issues found on earlier models has also been resolved. Current models have the in-tank ATF "cooler" and a fairly large rectangular fin/tube ATF cooler ahead of the radiator.

Fuel efficient they are not, but they are about the same as any other smaller truck. Mid-high teens for day/day driving with ~20mpg possible on highway runs.

I don't think it's the best truck out there, but if you need a functional truck and like basic, this is the one for you IMO.

Last edited:
I read that those were the most traded in vehicle.
I had a few Datsuns from the 80's and other than rust they ran until the body went south.
I think the trade in issue seriously is that people think these small trucks get 30 mpg and they find out they get the same mpg as a big truck.

I had a 92.5 Hardbody with the oem big mud tires etc and a 5 sp manual-V6.
I thought it was great I got 20 mpg on the Interstate and I'd tell people and they were shocked- lol
Only that much?????????

Of course my 82 Datsun Diesel King cab always got in the low 40's on trips

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I read that those were the most traded in vehicle...

Could be in some areas.

Search for used ones in my area and there are very few.

I have a friend with a 2010 Frontier 4 cylinder and a SIL with a 2015 Frontier V-6, and they both like their trucks and have found them to be reliable. But the bench seat on the 2010 is almost shot at 70K miles.

I can see that.
Actually my neighbor just got a new one
He asked if I had seen it and he went on to tell me he bought it because
Chevy was just too high for him now. Of course he is 78 years old.
I had great luck with mine but they weren't even named Frontier in my days

Old school, tough as nails. Bugs all worked out after past 15 years of production. Nothing fancy, but 4.0 V-6 engine and transmission will run 400,000 miles if basic maintenance is kept up. No real problem areas of current Frontiers. MPG is around 19 on the highway, 15 in town. Burns regular gas.

Great value for the dollar.

Research Tacoma. Lots of defects and issues with the current model.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: Oily_Thing
Old school, tough as nails. Bugs all worked out after past 15 years of production. Nothing fancy, but 4.0 V-6 engine and transmission will run 400,000 miles if basic maintenance is kept up. No real problem areas of current Frontiers. MPG is around 19 on the highway, 15 in town. Burns regular gas.

Great value for the dollar.

Research Tacoma. Lots of defects and issues with the current model.

Good luck

This is similar to what I would say. Ours is a 2017, 4-door, 4WD; got it November 2016. It is as "old school" as I could find. It doesn't have as many things to go wrong as everybody else -- it DOES have enough though. I am surprised I like the rear-view camera like I do.
It is of the size I needed -- it fits in my garage. My neighbor had gotten a full-size GMC, and had to have his garage extended.
The turning circle is not good. I expect the engine to be bulletproof; I will service the transmission regularly.
I have had two previous Ford trucks, got rid of a '97 Explorer to get this Nissan.

Our 2017 SV model does not have a rear camera. Given our other vehicles have them, I do miss it. I've only driven (the FILs) 2017 a few hundred miles, but I find the seats comfortable and supportive. The driving position is good in the crew cab, but there is not a lot of headroom or legroom.

The way I see the Frontier is, it's kind of Jeep Wranger-ish. It's rugged, boxy and utilitarian, yet is much lower cost and more practical than something like a 4dr Wrangler or Toyota 4-Runner IMO. The fuel economy is the same as well. Sure you're not going to have the "resale", but you don't pay for that resale value up front either.

My point being, if you're considering a full framed, RWD/4x4 based SUV, the Frontier crew cab is an excellent option.

Last edited:
Back