Dash cam Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I got the Rexing V1 Gen3 and tested it out today. Works good but I have to figure out how to get rid of the reflection on my windshield, it's a bit annoying. Also having trouble connecting to it's WIFI to my phone. Gotta troubleshoot that on the internet.

So far, I like it. Thanks for all the great info!

Wish I'd had one the other week when I was parked on a street and someone trying to parallel park put a dent in my (up until then perfect) WRX hood with their bike rack! Some of the dash cams have vibration detectors and will turn on and start recording in the event that someone bumps the car. I could have gotten a license plate # and gone after them.

The camera I had was always capturing data even when the car was off. If it sensed a bump it would back up 5 seconds and start recording.

Unfortunately the battery in it swelled and distorted the memory card holder making it useless after 4 years.
frown.gif

So my next one will not have a battery.

Don't want to direct traffic from this board but just like this board is good for oil, dashcamtalk is best for the dashcams.

I personally have following since Nov 2015
https://streetguardian.info/sgzc12ss-pro-series
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TRC3YF0
and
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5IH2X2

If I have to buy again, I would buy the last one in a heartbeat.

The first one is too expensive for the quality it offers
The second one is good but rather big. The company is proactive. When I had some issues, then sent me a replacement right away and asked me to send mine back for them to check on it but it was a firmware issue that they could not address so I kept mine and sent the replacement back. I was impressed by their quick actions and not questioning.
The last one is pretty small, great picture quality and a lot more features for the price. Actually, I got one for my brother that lives overseas.

Do NOT go by amazon reviews. Read dashcamtalk reviews instead, people there are just as anal as many of us here abt the oil.

Thank you all for keeping this thread going. All are very good advice and links. I have no doubt I will find them helpful in my education of dashcam.

Update on my Vexing V1G3:
Now that I've had a month of using it, I wish I would have bought their V1G2 (without wifi). Tried as I may, could not get the wifi and the app to connect. Therefore, I basically have their V1G2 cam at a higher price. The video capture during the day is just fine, not outstanding. Night time, not so good (lots of grain). For the price I paid, I feel this cam could be sharper, clearer and more vivid colors.

The pro-side is, I'm hooked on dash cams! Will buy two more for my other vehicles (especially when the daughter will be driving in a couple years). This time, I will go with something under $100 and see how it compares to my Vexing V1G3. Currently I'm looking at this Rock Spce Dash Cam. for about $60 but will check out the dash cam forums mentioned above first.

Check Amazon. I found one on there last year with a 1440p front and 720p rear facing camera for about $90

I have a streetgaurdian and a Garmin. I like the Garmin better because it is more compact and does not need the extra GPS antenna. If you read about heat issues with the Garmin that has been solved with a firmware update.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I bought this one from AMAZON, along with a 32G SD card. This camera is awesome. I couldn't have asked for anything better. Maybe there is, but this will suffice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9HGOGS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link sent me to a "page not found"
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
I just ordered this BlueSkySea B1W, $42 lightning deal.
https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Record...ords=blueskysea

That looks awesome and at a good price! Added to my wish list. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Quick question about install, or rather, uninstall from windshield. I placed it a bit high on the windshield. It records my strip of window tint so I need to lower the camera a bit. The thing uses a 3M adhesive to stick to the windshield. Is there a way to remove it and restick it lower? or do I have to pry it off and get new adhesive for the backing?

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
Quick question about install, or rather, uninstall from windshield. I placed it a bit high on the windshield. It records my strip of window tint so I need to lower the camera a bit. The thing uses a 3M adhesive to stick to the windshield. Is there a way to remove it and restick it lower? or do I have to pry it off and get new adhesive for the backing?
No you need a new glue pad. It is a soft gel like glue and you use a razor blade to remove it.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: Eosyn
No you need a new glue pad. It is a soft gel like glue and you use a razor blade to remove it.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into how to get a replacement.

First time I mounted mine I put it where the wiper didn't travel. That was no good in the rain.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
First time I mounted mine I put it where the wiper didn't travel. That was no good in the rain.
crackmeup2.gif

I have a week on the 4k Azdome GS63h and really like it. Very sharp images and easy to use as it has wifi. With the app I can view videos, download and change the menu from my phone. It has sharper better images than my Viofo 119 which is now in the back window. Both have GPS stamping and embedding. Also recommend high endurance cards. Some cards specifically SanDisc and no name can fail suddenly in a dashcam because of the constant writing. If you don't think you need a dashcam view some dashcam accidents on youtube. The red light runners all say it was green, the dashcam will prove otherwise. Even a cheap one is better than non, it's just insurance to protect you from the idiot drivers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back