Got the Tesla Model 3 Invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now comes the decision time! Do I take it or wait for all wheel drive? Do I wait for shorter range and cheaper car? Do I switch from 3 to CPO S or CPO X? Do I take the money and use it for lots of vacations?

I had paid the $1000 deposit two years ago to be able to fantasize of having this car. Now I wonder if I have the courage to realize this fantasy.

Do it. Life’s short.
banana2.gif

Aren't they having major issues with the Model 3? Overpromising and not being able to deliver? Elon sleeping at the plant....

I think I would wait until they smooth out the issues which may be a few years.

Last edited:
What's the resale like on these? I would think you might be able to sell it for more than you paid if you don't like it? Also the model 3 is one of the best handling cars made right now so you might really enjoy it. If electricity is reasonable for you, it might be hard to lose buying it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
wait for all wheel drive?

Why? So that it can add extra weight and reduce range?

Quote:
Do I wait for shorter range and cheaper car?

I wouldn't.

Quote:
Do I take the money and use it for lots of vacations?

I wouldn't be able to take lots of vacations because I don't get that much time off from work anyway. Unless you are talking about retirement.

Can't you balance it out somehow? Get the car and take fewer vacations?

While travel is important and educational, it comes and goes. A car - you'll be able to enjoy (or hate) for many years to come, every day.

Did you see the CNBC segment earlier this week showing the all the racks of parts they have at machine shops around NorCal awaiting rework? Musk is trying to run a mass production car factory like a job shop.

Now comes the decision time! Do I take it or wait for all wheel drive? Do I wait for shorter range and cheaper car? Do I switch from 3 to CPO S or CPO X? Do I take the money and use it for lots of vacations?

I had paid the $1000 deposit two years ago to be able to fantasize of having this car. Now I wonder if I have the courage to realize this fantasy.

AFAIK, Teslas are turning out to be bad cars to own out of warranty. Lots of issues.

As for the 3... Production delays on this scale always go hand-in-hand with major quality issues. It's an excellent vehicle on paper but the reality could be punishing.

If you're looking for a vehicle to lease, or to own for a few years and then trade, then by all means pull the trigger. Should be a good car. Otherwise, wait for a later allocation so they have a chance to work out some of the kinks, or just take a pass.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Uh, they have aluminium bodies.

Only some parts of the body are alu. See the first couple of minutes of this video:

As far as the rust reports, I think it was something about water getting inside the door and running off some steel elements inside the door, not the door frame itself.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If you're looking for a vehicle to lease, or to own for a few years and then trade, then by all means pull the trigger.

There you go. Buy it. Drive it for a few years. Sell it. Then take your vacations.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: typ901
No they are not all aluminum. A significant portion of the body panels are steel.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Uh, they have aluminium bodies.

Only some parts of the body are alu. See the first couple of minutes of this video:

As far as the rust reports, I think it was something about water getting inside the door and running off some steel elements inside the door, not the door frame itself.

Ah, thank you. I was looking up "Tesla Model3 Rust" and people were complaining about the doors rusting, and the doors are aluminium.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
You will hate that car.
Give me your invite...
Tesla is right up the road from me anyways.

Can't be transferred.

Not really a fan of the cars. You're basically paying a premium for the electric and rare/cool aspect of it. Lots of nicer gas cars out there for less money. Also not sure about parts and repair manuals. No dealers means you deal with the manufacturer. Dealers of other models typically do discounting of parts.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
You will hate that car.
Give me your invite...

Can't be transferred.

Not really a fan of the cars. You're basically paying a premium for the electric and rare/cool aspect of it. Lots of nicer gas cars out there for less money. Also not sure about parts and repair manuals. No dealers means you deal with the manufacturer. Dealers of other models typically do discounting of parts.

I don’t think Tesla gives out any info about previous repairs, recalls, or maintenance history.

So if you buy a used Tesla that has an active TSB or recall there is no way to know if the work was ever done unless the PO has some documentation.

Sounds like a company I wouldn’t want to do business with.

Here is the list of my current cars
1999 Odyssey 250K+
1999 Camry 225+
2000 Maxima 220+
(oh, and also 2012 Acura TL 65+)

I wonder which sticker should I put on the M3:-
"My other car is 1999 Odyssey" or
"My other car is 1999 Camry"

Seriously, we don't fit the demographics of Tesla and/or BMW/Audi/MB owners if looked at our vehicle purchases history over last three decades (done quite sparingly mind you!)

Writing that $60K check gives me a pause. But I wrote similar checks for eight years for my sons' colleges and they tell me I should go for the car. YOLO they tell me :)

You will hate that car.
Give me your invite...

How come you don't have the invite? I thought those went out in your area couple months ago.

YOLO they tell me :)
Do it, while you can still enjoy it.

With that said, there are a lot of other fun cars one could acquire for $60K, but you already know that.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back