Recommendations on wired home security camera syst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to purchase a home security camera system. I see you can buy kits with the camera DVR wiring ect. I am looking to spend 200-300. I'm not really concerned with apps for phones or anything like that I just want reliability with descent image quality. Most of the ones I see on Amazon have good and bad reviews. I don't mind piecing a system together. Some kits say they come with a security grade HDD but that does not tell me anything. I would prefer to have a wd purple HDD for reliability. So what do you guys use? Any CCTV installers out there that could give me recommendations on good brand names? Looking for a wired system. I know 200-300 is a very small amount of money in the CCTV world but it's all I have. I am looking for something with 4 cameras and a DVR with 8 camera upgradability. I don't mind piecing together a better system by buying a used DVR and buying a few cameras at a time. Looking for reliability as these cameras will be hard to get at 25' up.

Last edited:
I just moved into a new to me house and the previous owner installed a Night Owl system from Costco. You will have to buy a cheap monitor because the kit comes with the DVR and 4 cameras. I bought one for $60 on Amazon. I had to call tech support because I needed a remote password reset and tech support was very helpful. This is the only camera system i have delt with but it works well.

I bought a Swann 1080P security camera kit for $220 at BestBuy. Has crystal clear images and you can also connect it to the TV.

I would stay away from any cheap system which needs the monitor to power up the cams. Monitor goes down, so does the system.

Last edited:
Buy a system at Sam's, BJs, etc. Axis makes quality network cameras but $300 will not even get you one Axis camera.

And to properly evaluate a system look at the quality of the video during playback not live.

Have an EZVIZ 4 camera system with a 1TB Hard drive , with really good ir night vision. Setup was easy and I am about as non tech as one can get , but directives were clear and cameras are small and rotate to where you want them. Got it at Sams about a year and a half ago for about $220.00. Cameras are supposed to be weather proof but some freezing rain and low temps trashed 1 of the cameras a while back . Sent an email to the company and they sent me a replacement within 2 weeks. There are more expensive systems but For that price point I like the EZVIZ system.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind buying a complete cheap system I just don't want to have to return the whole system because one camera failed. I'll have to contact some companies to see how they handle warranties.

Which brand?

Depends how serious you are, inexpensive consumer models advertised all around and most likely all you need but ...

If you want a true well known brand among the security industry and national security industry publications,

Google, Hikvision DVRs, NVRs and cameras. Professional stuff almost the same price as the other stuff.

Last edited:
i have the arlo pro and it pretty much does a good job monitoring so far. The night vision is good and has speak/hear through cam, it's really helpful. Though I read it's batteries will need improvement (I am yet to find out). Great features come with a hefty price too. It's a bit painful that the system itself is already expensive + the monthly fee.

From my dealings at the parent's house(and I'm having a hard time convincing them to go Arlo or Nest, especially since their system has an exposed and hard-coded root password) and the friend's bike shop, avoid Lorex like the plague. All OTS security systems are the same Chinese made stuff in a pretty box - RaySharp and Danhwa make a majority of that stuff.

For home use, I'd go with Nest or Arlo or if you want to give Comcast/AT&T/ADT or your local alarm company more money and if you have a Honeywell/DSC/DMP security alarm installed it might be worth getting the cameras for those systems and they work in tandem with your home alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back