Screen tearing on console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda curious as how to fix this. Since purchasing my 4K TV I’ve completely stopped playing DOOM on my PS4. The reason being I’m getting screen tearing near the sides of the screen. My old TV was 720p/1080i 24/60hz and never had these issues.

The new TV is 4K HDR and runs at 120hz. I’m using the 2.1 HDMI cable (gold connectors and insulated against outside electrical interference. However where I think I’m running into issues at is the TV automatically processes and upscales any non UHD image to 4K and I don’t have the Pro model PS4.

So from what I personally know would I be correct in assuming that if my PS4 is sending a 1080p signal but the TV then takes it and upscales it, the time between the 1080p signal being sent and the 4K image being generated would cause me to see tearing, right?

I don’t think it would be FPS vs HZ refresh issues.

I can't tell you exactly where to look, but I gotta think that you could change a setting for the TV to get it to work better for your application.
There are a zillion parameters to change on these smart TVs, I would just start paging through menus to see what I could find...

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
Since purchasing my 4K TV .....

Sounds like you have too many "K"s .
lol.gif

May just have to get used to it. My TV was only $317 but is packed with all the features high end tvs have. It is a smart/roku tv however I have yet to find any settings for refresh rate or upscaling, I was reading online that they all have automatic upscaling because most cable and satellite networks are still 1080p. The direct TV receiver only puts out 1080i unless its the channel is HD, even then it's only 1080p. In order for the image to look ok it seems upscaling is neccessary on this TV.

Then again when I was playing I was only using the HD cable supplied with the PS4 Slim which may have cause issues. I'll check the tv and cable and give it a shot.

Last edited:
I haven't had time to research this for you, but here's my take, based on what I've seen.

Each game developer has the capability of locking or unlocking the frame-rates for a particular game. In other words, your PS4 may be capable of providing 60 FPS @ 1080p in some scenes, with frequent dips down to and below 30 FPS, such as when there are many things being rendered at the same time (lots of monsters, NPC, buildings, etc.) From what I remember, this rapid change in frame rates can cause lag and screen tearing.

Other games, such as Bloodborne, cap the frame-rates at 30 FPS, but still have issues with lag, because it is a very graphics-intensive title. If the frame-rates were unlocked, I wonder if there would be lag AND screen tearing.

//

So, all of that said:

1. Your PS4 cannot output 4K, as you well know. If there's an issue with up-converting, then the problem is with your TV's processing capability. For base TV-watching needs, a cheap 4K TV is fine; however, you'll start to notice that's its claimed features really aren't truly what the others are offering.

2. The Doom developers were either lazy in their design of the graphics engine, or maybe they unlocked the frame-rates and your PS4 can't handle it.

3. Cable issue, though I've never personally experienced screen tearing or lag caused by a cable (e.g., HDMI cable). I've lost signal or had cheap cables be glitchy; however, most of my cheap cables work perfectly. I wouldn't suspect the Sony-provided cable to be bad, unless there are obvious signs of damage, however.

It may say 120hz MR but sounds like its native 60HZ. I have PlayStation 4 Slim with HDMI 2.2 from Audioquest going into a 55XBR900E Sony Bravia 4k that 960MR/120Hz native. Sounds like response time ms/hz refresh. Turn off all trumotion settings,cinemotion etc. Dimming can help with ghosting effect too.

This didn’t happen with my old TV so I’m assuming it’s related to refresh rate or upscaling. Tends to occur while turning Doom Guy left or right quickly, shows up more in combat.

The TV isn’t actually all that bad. It’s the TCL 43” 4K TV. 3 HDMI ports all 4K compatible, HDR, internet connectivity, USB port with media player software, pretty much any streaming app etc.

Welp nothing has worked. Turned on game mode and that both it and chromatic aberration actually make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back